Pentax Super A - Exposure issue

sisboombah

Link Posted 25/08/2015 - 20:45
Hello,

I have been using my Pentax ME Super for a few years now so I have a general knowledge of how to expose using the built in meter. I recently got a Pentax Super A camera because it has extra settings that I wanted to play with but I am having this issue where the meter only seems to work with in Shutter Priority Mode.
Does anyone have a pentax super a on here?
Should different settings yield different results? for example:

Set on Shutter Priority
I point the camera at a light part of my room and it tells me it is at F2.5 and i turn my shutter to 30. its happy with that.

Set on Manual
I point the camera in the same place, set it to F2.5 and it isn't happy until i turn the shutter speed down to 4''

Set on Aperture Priority
I point the camera in the same place, set it to F2.5 and the camera chooses a shutter speed of 4''

Set on Automatic
I point the camera in the same place, it sets F2 at a shutter speed of 60

WHAT DOES IT MEAN!? Shouldn't these readings all be the same? I have tried it with a different lens on the camera and i get the same results. So i know its not my lens.

On my pentax me super - which i know works - i can set the manual to F2.8 at 1/30 and then change it to Aperture priority and it gives me the same shutter speed reading when pointed in the same place.

johnriley

Link Posted 25/08/2015 - 21:56
The thing I've noticed there is that the exposure on the Super A of f/2 and 1/60s is the same as the ME Super and f/2.8 and 1/30s. So on the face of it we have no discrepancy. There is also only a small deviation in the f/2.5 and 1/30s with the Super A Shutter Priority, well within tolerance.

Why Manual and Aperture Priority should yield this alternative measurement, which is the same for both, is a complete mystery without further information. The only thing I can think of is maybe a fault on the circuitry that controls selection of mode. I would try moving the ISO dial several times to make sure the potentiometer is clean and gives good contact. I would also clean the contacts on lens and lens mount, with a soft dry cloth.

If you know what you're doing with the ME Super then the Super A should not present any problems.
Best regards, John

Helpful

sisboombah

Link Posted 25/08/2015 - 22:14
Thanks, I will give this a try, although I do seem to remember giving the ISO a turn all the way to x4 and nothing changed. So I guess that is a bad sign.

johnriley wrote:
The thing I've noticed there is that the exposure on the Super A of f/2 and 1/60s is the same as the ME Super and f/2.8 and 1/30s. So on the face of it we have no discrepancy. There is also only a small deviation in the f/2.5 and 1/30s with the Super A Shutter Priority, well within tolerance.

Why Manual and Aperture Priority should yield this alternative measurement, which is the same for both, is a complete mystery without further information. The only thing I can think of is maybe a fault on the circuitry that controls selection of mode. I would try moving the ISO dial several times to make sure the potentiometer is clean and gives good contact. I would also clean the contacts on lens and lens mount, with a soft dry cloth.

If you know what you're doing with the ME Super then the Super A should not present any problems.

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.