pentax slr recommendation with K-mount

Frankyfromdownsouth

Link Posted 15/09/2013 - 19:16
Hello there,
I'm new to this forum - what a great community for pentax users.

I did have a K1000 several years ago and learned photography the good ol' fashioned way with 28, 55 and 135mm lenses. I then popped over to a canon eos 3 for 2-3 years but have decided it's a characterless beast - despite being a great body - and wish to return to my roots. I'm looking for a Pentax film body - preferably K mount to go with the one remaining lens I have acquired via my mum's friend who had one in his shed for 20 years (70-200mm) - but I want something quicker than the K1000 in terms of setting the shutter speed, and with spot and matrix light meter which allows me to adjust third to half stops with relative confidence.

Opinions, thoughts and suggestions (and any anecdotes) much appreciated.

Vive le film!
Franky

Dariusz

Link Posted 15/09/2013 - 20:38
Vive le film. You deserve to reach for the bigger picture now. Medium format 645N is available for peanuts nowadays. It might not be as quick as you would probably wish, but it's an absolute delight to work with and look at those amazing results! In this digital era 645N is something to go for, if you still insist on film. But if you nevertheless want to stay within 35mm, then the best body comes from Canon again, I am afraid, and is known as 1V

stub

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 08:43
Don't bother with film would be my advise. Put your old lenses on any of the digital Pentax models for better, quicker cheaper results
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 09:56
DO bother with film. The results are still great and it will need to shoot a lot of films to catch up with what the big boys with their K5ii's have spent ;P

Plus you'll be able to brag that you are shooting 'full frame' ;P

Here's one I shot on my z70, using the DA35/2.4 (just a 'family snapshot): http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3698/9693785744_22de067480_c.jpg

To me it just has a nicer look than the equivalent shot on digital crop. Probably mainly the shallower DOF rendering giving the image more of a 3D look.

I would look for one of the flagship PZ series cameras, and if you plan on using AF and therefore don't mind a pentaprism viefinder, any of the budget PZ series will do as well.

Very easy and quick to change aperture / shutter speed settings, via a thumb dial, just like a DSLR.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 09:59
NO -- don't take any notice of those above -- USE FILM !! Get a K fit lens series such as my KX from 1975 or a later ME Super-- very easy to use! You can get GIVEN loads of film now free -- I have lots in 2 fridges all FREE !

Pentax ME Super by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Asahi Pentax KX by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Film Stash--- by pentaxpete, on Flickr
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

Mongoose

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 10:01
Pentaxophile wrote:
DO bother with film. The results are still great and it will need to shoot a lot of films to catch up with what the big boys with their K5ii's have spent ;P

Here's one I shot on my z70, using the DA35/2.4 (just a 'family snapshot): http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3698/9693785744_22de067480_c.jpg

To me it just has a nicer look than the equivalent shot on digital crop. Probably mainly the shallower DOF rendering giving the image more of a 3D look.

I would look for one of the flagship PZ series cameras, and if you plan on using AF and therefore don't mind a pentaprism viefinder, any of the budget PZ series will do as well.

Very easy and quick to change aperture / shutter speed settings, via a thumb dial, just like a DSLR.

What he said, although personally I'd add the mid range MZ series to the list, I love my MZ-7
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Jetsam1

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 10:30
I agree on the look of film. I went digital to film, actually young enough that film was considered to be dying.....

Both have different uses, but film and film bodies are just so fun to use!

What about the Super A as well? I have two and they are great!
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 11:39
I should have said Pentamirror, where I said Pentaprism in my post above - sorry about that :blush:

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 11:40
Jetsam1 wrote:

Agreed, but I wouldn't say they are easier to change the shutter speed quickly on!

Frankyfromdownsouth

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 11:55
Dariusz wrote:
Vive le film. You deserve to reach for the bigger picture now. Medium format 645N is available for peanuts nowadays. It might not be as quick as you would probably wish, but it's an absolute delight to work with and look at those amazing results! In this digital era 645N is something to go for, if you still insist on film. But if you nevertheless want to stay within 35mm, then the best body comes from Canon again, I am afraid, and is known as 1V

Hi there, I've considered eos 1V - agreed it's the best body, but I'm looking at 400+ for one in good condition, and the size, similarly to eos 3, is too big for me, plus weight of lenses... I'm focusing on the 35mm for now but will definitely consider medium format when I feel I've mastered the 35mm - probably a while away (they say 10,000 hours of study/practise is the benchmark).

Frankyfromdownsouth

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 12:03
stub wrote:
Don't bother with film would be my advise. Put your old lenses on any of the digital Pentax models for better, quicker cheaper results

Hi, I did a small stint in London, and even in the Gambia where I got bitten by a cat (the domestic sort) and had to have rabies treatment on return, with a K10 and 70-200mm lens. The results were pretty good, though I have to say I liked the 135mm prime on the K10 - the look was nice. I understand pentax bodies have moved on since then. Being of a certain age myself, the magic of getting the photos (now stills) back from the lab has never ceased to please...if someone can recreate this experience on a laptop, I would happily oblige...

Frankyfromdownsouth

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 12:08
Peter Elgar wrote:
NO -- don't take any notice of those above -- USE FILM !! Get a K fit lens series such as my KX from 1975 or a later ME Super-- very easy to use! You can get GIVEN loads of film now free -- I have lots in 2 fridges all FREE !

Pete, I need full manual control - the ME is semi-automatic with aperture control (?) - does the ME super have more manual control? Would love to know who is so generous with film...

Film it is.

Frankyfromdownsouth

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 12:16
Pentaxophile wrote:

that is a nice image. I guess the key is working intuitively. I liked that about the K1000 except having to glance up to check the shutter speed. I find the pentax film just a more natural body. With the K10 I constantly had issues where the camera would not take an image as it could not handle the light contrast in a scene - this caused me to move over to canon.

Frankyfromdownsouth

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 12:19
Jetsam1 wrote:
I agree on the look of film. I went digital to film, actually young enough that film was considered to be dying.....

Both have different uses, but film and film bodies are just so fun to use!

will most certainly look at the Super A. I might have to end up with several bodies...

Frankyfromdownsouth

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 12:20
Mongoose wrote:
Pentaxophile wrote:

What he said, although personally I'd add the mid range MZ series to the list, I love my MZ-7

taking the MZ-7 into consideration too...thank you!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.