pentax slr recommendation with K-mount

Frankyfromdownsouth

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 12:22
Pentaxophile wrote:
I should have said Pentamirror, where I said Pentaprism in my post above - sorry about that :blush:

no worries, that's just expanded my vocabulary...

Mongoose

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 13:26
Frankyfromdownsouth wrote:
Peter Elgar wrote:
NO -- don't take any notice of those above -- USE FILM !! Get a K fit lens series such as my KX from 1975 or a later ME Super-- very easy to use! You can get GIVEN loads of film now free -- I have lots in 2 fridges all FREE !

Pete, I need full manual control - the ME is semi-automatic with aperture control (?) - does the ME super have more manual control? Would love to know who is so generous with film...

Film it is.

The ME-Super has full manual control as well as AV automatic.

Overall my ME-F (an ME-Super with electronic focus confirmation) is my favourite film camera for the experience of using the thing
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

michaelblue

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 14:24
I have a Pentax ME Super....BRILLIANT camera! I"ll NEVER get rid of it, it's so easy to use and has full manual control, the ergonomics are just perfect too!.....Love it!

For me, the best autofocus film camera (also the last from Pentax) was the ist*, (maybe the MZ S was better, I've never even touched one!) plastic body yes but possibly the easiest to use...a delightful little camera!....still have mine.

I now use the K5 but also the two film cameras.
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

Mongoose

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 14:29
the problem with the *ist Film is the crippled mount and corresponding poor backward lens compatibility.

I'd argue that the technically "best" Pentax film SLR is either the Z-1p or the MZ-6, deppending on your needs.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Gamka

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 14:55

Pete, I need full manual control - the ME is semi-automatic with aperture control (?) - does the ME super have more manual control? Would love to know who is so generous with film...

Film it is.

You could go right back to an MX. Then here are the Super A models and the MZ-S which are well worth considering.

ronniemac

Link Posted 16/09/2013 - 23:12
The loveliest manual 35mm SLR Pentax is the LX and it will give you 1/2000 sec shutter speed. It also offers automatic exposure but can just as easily be used without it. Expect to pay approx £150 for this camera body. A more affordable alternative would indeed be the Super A which also offers 1/2000 speed and all for about £25.

Some users will disagree, but the finest affordable semi professional automatic is the Z-1 or the Z-1p These give you 1/8000 sec shutter speed! Expect to pay a mere £25 - £50 respectively for these models. Full manual operation is provided as well as a good range of automatic settings. These are quite substantial but excellent cameras.

The last professional SLR Pentax produced was the MZ-S, but it will cost several hundred pounds if you can find one. In that price bracket the 645N is much better value and for me the most delightful Pentax film camera ever even if it tops out at 1/1000 but being medium format it does not take the K mount lens.

Apart from the MZ-S which I do not own, I still use the cameras referred to above. I also occasionally use my first Pentax, the totally manual, minuscule, and marvellous MX, but the ME Super is currently a pretty paperweight.

Nowadays most of my photographing is digital, but illogically I experience an uncanny happiness from taking the time to shooting film.

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 17/09/2013 - 09:50

Film it is.

The ME Super HAS Manual exposure control NOT the ME ( I was given an ME body) -- it is easy to set -- well, I get LOTS of free film from being a member of a Camera Club and also some from the local newspaper and a kind lady on ephotozine read about my boy using my 'outdated films' for his photos and she contacted us and sent us free about 80 cassettes of B&W and Colour films, some in unopened packs of 10 !
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

johnha

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 00:39
Peter Elgar wrote:
NO -- don't take any notice of those above -- USE FILM !! Get a K fit lens series such as my KX from 1975 or a later ME Super-- very easy to use! You can get GIVEN loads of film now free -- I have lots in 2 fridges all FREE !

Film it is.

The ME Super allows full manual control of aperture & shutter speed unlike the ME. The up/down buttons to select the shutter speeds don't suit everybody though compared to the 'traditional' dial. The ME is limited to aperture priority, X-sync & bulb IIRC.

My preference is for the manual mechanical cameras (K1000/MX) as I feel they're more reliable 30+yrs down the line.

John.
PPG Flickr

RussV

Link Posted 25/07/2014 - 08:52
ronniemac wrote:

Some users will disagree, but the finest affordable semi professional automatic is the Z-1 or the Z-1p These give you 1/8000 sec shutter speed! Expect to pay a mere £25 - £50 respectively for these models. Full manual operation is provided as well as a good range of automatic settings. These are quite substantial but excellent cameras.

It's amazing (but not surprising) to see these top end cameras going for peanuts.
www.russv.me.uk

xiaonvren

Link Posted 16/09/2014 - 10:55
thank you very much

womble

Link Posted 16/09/2014 - 11:47
I just read through this long thread only to realise the OP was a year ago. I'm glad I didn't start typing out a long response...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Kivis

Link Posted 09/11/2015 - 14:33
Go for the MX. The finest all manual film camera out there.
Peter Elgar wrote:

Film it is.

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.