Pentax Q review


DanielH

Link Posted 02/11/2012 - 11:38
Great review and made me laugh too

link

johnriley

Link Posted 02/11/2012 - 12:29
All the Q needed was for people to approach it with an open mind. Finally, the message seems to be getting through!
Best regards, John

Blincodave

Link Posted 02/11/2012 - 13:10
Entertaining and spot on.

Dave

Mike-P

Link Posted 02/11/2012 - 13:15
johnriley wrote:
All the Q needed was for people to approach it with an open mind. Finally, the message seems to be getting through!

All it needed was for Pentax to release the camera at a sensible price to begin with. Nothing really happened on this forum until Tesco sold the twin lens kit for £300.
. My Flickr

gartmore

Link Posted 02/11/2012 - 13:19
Great review and reviewer and not just because its my Favourite New Camera EVER! too.

When I was in Jessops the other day picking up my Pentax PL100 filter for it, I told the assistant I was surprised they stocked it and asked him if they had sold many. He told me that despite the IQ and the build quality it didn't seem to be what 'our sort of customers want' and they had ony sold one. Maybe not surprising when there are none on display.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

gartmore

Link Posted 02/11/2012 - 13:20
Mike-P wrote:
johnriley wrote:
All the Q needed was for people to approach it with an open mind. Finally, the message seems to be getting through!

All it needed was for Pentax to release the camera at a sensible price to begin with. Nothing really happened on this forum until Tesco sold the twin lens kit for £300.

Nothing happened for me until SRS sold me one for £140!
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

DrOrloff

Link Posted 02/11/2012 - 13:42
I opened my mind to the Q when the price came down to what is now more than reasonable. In fact I think it's a bit too cheap. At the original price it just didn't make sense. I don't think the buying public got it wrong with their view of the product I think that Pentax got it wrong with their view of what the public was prepared to pay for it. That's why the next generation Q is a cheaper construction, so there is a greater margin for the place in the market where it was always destined to settle.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

johnriley

Link Posted 02/11/2012 - 14:04
Usually cameras are not released at a "sensible" price, as early adopters provide higher revenue. It's the price we pay (if we want to) for having new technology first.

There's nothing unusual in that. The K-5 II and K-5 IIs seem to have been released at the right level from the start, which is unusual.
Best regards, John

DrOrloff

Link Posted 02/11/2012 - 18:35
True, but that only works if there are enough early adopters. In the case of the Q and the K01 there weren't and the price had to come down (I would wager) to more than Pentax wanted in order to stimulate demand and create a product reputation.

A successful price creaming strategy will show a gradual decline in the selling price over time. You will find it with the K5, where Pentax got it spot on. In the case of the Q and K01 then you will find that the price curves resemble a fall from a cliff and that indicates a failure to exploit the market optimally.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

Algernon

Link Posted 02/11/2012 - 19:06
The Q is selling quite well in Japan.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

DrOrloff

Link Posted 03/11/2012 - 19:03
It's selling well in the UK too. No surprise at that price it's great.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

Algernon

Link Posted 03/11/2012 - 21:01
Hoover sold a lot of vacuum cleaners when they gave away
FREE Flights to the US with them

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 03/11/2012 - 21:02

michaelblue

Link Posted 04/11/2012 - 05:52
gartmore wrote:
Mike-P wrote:
Quote:
All the Q needed was for people to approach it with an open mind. Finally, the message seems to be getting through!

All it needed was for Pentax to release the camera at a sensible price to begin with. Nothing really happened on this forum until Tesco sold the twin lens kit for £300.

Nothing happened for me until SRS sold me one for £140!

Ah, so it was YOU that got mine!

I had to pay £200 (but I did get the white one, which I love)
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

dcweather

Link Posted 04/11/2012 - 13:28
gartmore wrote:
Great review and reviewer and not just because its my Favourite New Camera EVER! too.

When I was in Jessops the other day picking up my Pentax PL100 filter for it, I told the assistant I was surprised they stocked it and asked him if they had sold many. He told me that despite the IQ and the build quality it didn't seem to be what 'our sort of customers want' and they had ony sold one. Maybe not surprising when there are none on display.

That'll be the sort of customers that Jessops assistants prefer to deal with. The ones that know nothing about cameras and photography so they can tell them what they like!

michaelblue

Link Posted 04/11/2012 - 17:19
I don't know why people on this forum are still bothering with jessops, we all know they're only interested in catering for the masses who know nothing about cameras or photography and as you say...can sell them exactly what they're told to, i.e. canon and nikon
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.