Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax Q

fatspider
Posted 05/06/2020 - 11:05 Link
I took the Q out on a stroll yesterday, can't say as I'm impressed with the visibility of the LCD and it was overcast, although I've yet to try it by adjusting the brightness. Has anyone used an LCD hood and are they any good?
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Edited by fatspider: 05/06/2020 - 11:06
asbo
Posted 05/06/2020 - 15:18 Link
I use the Kamerar QV-1 viewfinder which doubles as a hood. It's excellent, except it's designed for bigger cameras and thus the baseplate has to shimmed significantly, away from the bottom of the camera, in order for it to line up with the LCD properly.
They now do a different version for smaller cameras, but I've not tried it.

The only reason I picked it over cheaper ones is because it has an adjustable dioptre.

It also transforms the Q from being pocket-able, into a monstrous looking thing.

So all in all, this probably isn't a useful post
Lubbyman
Posted 05/06/2020 - 16:27 Link
I found that a carefully placed hand can help. But for outdoor use, the viewfinder is one of the weaker aspects of the Q.

Of course, there was a time when every photographer had a big black cloth that they draped over their head and back of the camera so they could see the image on the screen...

Steve
SteveF
Posted 06/06/2020 - 21:42 Link
Lubbyman wrote:
Enjoy your new toy!

One little thing to note - some older Q's lose the ability to keep date and time when changing batteries, something to do with an ageing capacitor. Doesn't affect picture taking, just adds a few seconds to battery changes while date and time are reset. Yours might be good for many years seeing as it hasn't been used, but don't panic if it happens .

Steve

Yeah, happened to mine (originally purchased in 2012) a couple of years ago, not a disaster by any means.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.