Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax processing software.

emil
Posted 02/01/2016 - 16:51 Link
Hi, back again after a very bad year. Want to try my hand again with a k50. Problem is I am unable to download software. My desktop is a photo standalone. Will I get good jpegs from the software that comes with the k50?

Ross.
johnriley
Posted 02/01/2016 - 16:56 Link
What do you use now? Why can't you buy a CD of Photoshop elements or something similar? Not quite sure why you can't download software?

In any event, the JPEG output from Pentax cameras is excellent.
Best regards, John
emil
Posted 02/01/2016 - 17:11 Link
Thanks John. As I said a very bad year which included my computer being hacked and wrecked. So new one is a photo standalone, emails and this from an IPad.With digital I still have Canon g10 software. Still using Pentax film. But would like to get back with Pentax digital , using my old lenses.

No very little about other software but understand k50 comes complete with its own, correct?
johnriley
Posted 02/01/2016 - 17:35 Link
Most cameras come with RAW conversion software, but the facilities are very limited. Ideally you need a photo editor as well, such as Photoshop Elements.

Yes, there will be software with all Pentax cameras.
Best regards, John
RobL
Posted 02/01/2016 - 17:38 Link
When you buy a K50 it comes with the software disc. However the RAW output is in DNG format which is industry standard and recognized by most photo editing packages including the free ones like Picasa as well as Elements, Photoshop etc. and of course JPEG is universal, so I never need to use the Pentax software. In the camera you can opt for RAW, JPEG, or both and also select the quality of the JPEG.
emil
Posted 02/01/2016 - 17:51 Link
Thanks both. However due to various limitations I only want use jpegs for the bulk of my photos. More and more software is only available to download and I have little experience of digital work except with Canon software that came with myg10. I was hoping that something similar would be with the K50.

As said before I can no longer download to my desktop, so any better software would to be on disk and easy to use.
McGregNi
Posted 02/01/2016 - 18:38 - Helpful Comment Link
These days it is rather difficult to operate a non-connected computer system. Really all of the good free processing software you might want to try has to be downloaded now. You can buy commercial software in boxes from online retailers and places like Curries etc, so that is probably the best thing to try. But be aware that sometimes the registration process requires an internet link .....

As John recommended before, PS Elements is widely available and would be an ideal one to start out with, and it is certainly something you can grow into also. However, I'm fairly sure you have to register it online from the computer it is installed on .....

Could you not just temporarily connect over a cable connection for the purpose, ?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 02/01/2016 - 18:38
emil
Posted 02/01/2016 - 19:00 Link
Thanks Mc., if it is going be as difficult as you say , I may as well stay with what I have. I was just hoping that the software that came with a K50 would allow me to produce decent jpegs.

The work I do is only for my own and family use, happy with JPEG quality.
RobL
Posted 02/01/2016 - 19:47 - Helpful Comment Link
Just to clarify, you don't need any software to operate to K50, it's all built-in. The software provided is Silkypics which is an image processing package. And you get a proper instruction book in a handy size!
fatspider
Posted 02/01/2016 - 19:57 - Helpful Comment Link
What about downloading with the i-pad then transfer to the PC via USB cable or USB stick?
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
emil
Posted 02/01/2016 - 20:42 Link
Thanks Robi and fatspider. As you may have gathered I am not up in IT! I did not know what you have suggested was possible. I will get in touch with my granddaughter who is an IT manager and get help to do as fatspider suggests.

I think that will solve my problem.

I have using Pentax cameras since 1962 and would like to continue especially as at 82 my cycling days are coming to an end.

Thanks everybody for your help.
Edited by emil: 02/01/2016 - 20:43
McGregNi
Posted 02/01/2016 - 20:58 Link
You will be able to produce perfectly good Jpegs straight from the camera ..... Just check the manual for the Custom Image Settings to use (saturation, contrast, sharpness' etc) and pick the best pre-set for your particular type of photo (landscape, portrait, vibrant etc) ... make custom fine tunings to your liking by checking the effect on the rear screen.

It may be possible to crop on the camera also ...perhaps another owner could clarify that .... But if you can make the settings on the camera ready for each shooting session you may not need to edit on the computer at all. Just copy the photos from the SD card to the computer and use the computer simply to store, manage and backup your collection.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
emil
Posted 02/01/2016 - 21:01 Link
Again, thanks Mc.

Ross.
emil
Posted 04/01/2016 - 13:00 Link
McG, having read your article on the Pentax processing software, I think I did not explain my needs very well. What I would like to be able to is, once the camera has been set up for sharpness etc., is download to the computer and then with tha Utility software you mention ( which I had never heard of ) do some basic editing and print.

At the moment I have no need to use Raw, but would possibly need it in the future.

Hope this makes more sense than my op.
RobL
Posted 04/01/2016 - 20:07 Link
Downloading your images to a computer is no problem - either with the cable provided, or simply take the SD card out and plug it into the computer. If it doesn't have an SD slot then you can get an adapter which plugs into a USB socket. For basic editing try downloading Picasa from Google (it's free), or you may have an earlier version of Elements which comes with the Adobe package on your computer. It's the same with PDF or RAW.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.