Pentax or Samsung?
Posted 21/04/2010 - 22:14
Link
The Samsungs seem to be going slightly lower than Pentax but as I bought my GX10 for a lower price brand new I wasn't bothered. I got a GX20 much cheaper than a K20D. It wasn't difficult selling the GX10 and I got the price I expected on the open ebay market. Looking at K20D vs GX20 recently there wasn't much in it.
Lurking is shirking.!
Posted 21/04/2010 - 22:50
Link
We find that we can sell both brands easily. The Samsung branded product sells for slightly less. In the case of the K20D vs GX20, we get between 5 & 10% more for the K20D.
We could do with more stock as we sold eight K20D's over the weekend which has completely wiped us out of stock! We currently have some K10D, *IstD, *Ist DL, K100D & K100D Supers in stock. Interestingly, we rarely get K200D's - I guess people are holding onto them & we have a list of people waiting for them if they come in...
We compile lists of second hand 'wants' as a lot of used equipment leaves us without even being listed on our website or being displayed in the shop. If anyone wants something then PM me and I will add them to the lists!
We could do with more stock as we sold eight K20D's over the weekend which has completely wiped us out of stock! We currently have some K10D, *IstD, *Ist DL, K100D & K100D Supers in stock. Interestingly, we rarely get K200D's - I guess people are holding onto them & we have a list of people waiting for them if they come in...
We compile lists of second hand 'wants' as a lot of used equipment leaves us without even being listed on our website or being displayed in the shop. If anyone wants something then PM me and I will add them to the lists!
For all things Pentax please visit www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk - anything not listed please email or call!
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook
Posted 21/04/2010 - 23:21
Link
Well I sell only on eBay and in tiny quantities compared to LCE and SRS above (evening gentlemen ) so my experience is limited. For what it's worth though I've sold Samsung versions of both the DA12-24 and the D-FA100 Macro on there, and both have fetched prices pretty much exactly in line with what others have sold the Pentax versions for.
I can't speak for the bodies but it doesn't seem there's any particular bias against Samsung glass out there...
I can't speak for the bodies but it doesn't seem there's any particular bias against Samsung glass out there...
Joining the Q
Posted 21/04/2010 - 23:52
Link
There is still the question as to whether Samsung glass has the same coating as Pentax. I have still not heard an authoritative answer to this.
Posted 22/04/2010 - 09:08
Link
I'm a bit surprised there isn't more of a difference to be honest. I have a Samsung and I bought it expecting it not to hold it's value anywhere near as well as an equivalent Pentax. I also bought mine as a bit of a steal (last one in the shop) so I am doubley happy!
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...
Posted 22/04/2010 - 22:25
Link
As I understand, both the Pentax and Samsung lenses are made by SCHNEIDER
Posted 22/04/2010 - 22:35
Link
I've actually no idea by who they are made, I believe it's done by several and not by one.
Lenses like the Limited lenses for example require some special care, at least it's pretty sure the glass comes from Hoya.
Lenses like the Limited lenses for example require some special care, at least it's pretty sure the glass comes from Hoya.
Posted 22/04/2010 - 22:37
Link
If I were buying a lens second hand I would always choose Pentax over Samsung, even if the Pentax cost about 10% more. The main reason is aesthetics - the Pentax lenses just look better!
But when the prices have been significantly different I have bought Samsung, but I expect them to be worth slightly less when I come to sell them.
But when the prices have been significantly different I have bought Samsung, but I expect them to be worth slightly less when I come to sell them.
Posted 22/04/2010 - 23:54
Link
ste wrote:
As I understand, both the Pentax and Samsung lenses are made by SCHNEIDER
No, the lenses in question are made in the Taiwan Pentax factories.
As I understand, both the Pentax and Samsung lenses are made by SCHNEIDER
Best regards, John
Posted 23/04/2010 - 07:27
Link
The
ste wrote:
As I understand, both the Pentax and Samsung lenses are made by SCHNEIDER
The lenses are Pentax lenses but Schneider is the label that Samsung gives them.
As I understand, both the Pentax and Samsung lenses are made by SCHNEIDER
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Posted 23/04/2010 - 09:34
Link
nass wrote:
The
Not the more recent ones Nass, Samsung is more prominent on the later 18-55s than on the earlier ones....The
ste wrote:
As I understand, both the Pentax and Samsung lenses are made by SCHNEIDER
The lenses are Pentax lenses but Schneider is the label that Samsung gives them.As I understand, both the Pentax and Samsung lenses are made by SCHNEIDER
Schneider-Kreuznach I think belongs to Samsung, and AFAIK they still make pro grade lenses in Germany...
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon, and a Canon T70.
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon, and a Canon T70.
Posted 23/04/2010 - 10:33
Link
Am I the only person who considers camera equipment to be generally something you buy and use until it becomes unusable?
Without exception I regret selling every passable quality lens I have ever sold, so I don't sell lenses anymore unless they are duplicates of something I already have or no use to me.
Without exception I regret selling every passable quality lens I have ever sold, so I don't sell lenses anymore unless they are duplicates of something I already have or no use to me.
you don't have to be mad to post here
but it does help
but it does help
Posted 23/04/2010 - 10:43
Link
Pwynnej wrote:
Schneider-Kreuznach I think belongs to Samsung, and AFAIK they still make pro grade lenses in Germany...
Ahhh ok, cheers for that clarification
nass wrote:
The
Not the more recent ones Nass, Samsung is more prominent on the later 18-55s than on the earlier ones....The
ste wrote:
As I understand, both the Pentax and Samsung lenses are made by SCHNEIDER
The lenses are Pentax lenses but Schneider is the label that Samsung gives them.As I understand, both the Pentax and Samsung lenses are made by SCHNEIDER
Schneider-Kreuznach I think belongs to Samsung, and AFAIK they still make pro grade lenses in Germany...
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



24425 posts
24 years
Tyldesley,
Manchester
Are the Pentax branded items selling more easily and/or getting better prices? Are the Samsung versions harder to sell and going at lower prices?
This is what I'd expect, but what are we finding?