Pentax or Samsung?

johnriley

Link Posted 21/04/2010 - 22:05
Now that there are a few K10D, K20D and GX10 and GX20 cameras and lenses floating around the second hand market, I wondered how people felt about the resale opportunities for the different brand names.

Are the Pentax branded items selling more easily and/or getting better prices? Are the Samsung versions harder to sell and going at lower prices?

This is what I'd expect, but what are we finding?
Best regards, John

DAE0707

Link Posted 21/04/2010 - 22:11
Hi John, we find the Samsung much harder to sell second hand and have lower values. K10 is always very popular second hand, K20 also hold value, although as we have these new, attract less interest. Dave
K7, Pentax 50-135mm, Pentax 55-300mm, Sigma 17-70mm OS
link

dougf8

Link Posted 21/04/2010 - 22:14
The Samsungs seem to be going slightly lower than Pentax but as I bought my GX10 for a lower price brand new I wasn't bothered. I got a GX20 much cheaper than a K20D. It wasn't difficult selling the GX10 and I got the price I expected on the open ebay market. Looking at K20D vs GX20 recently there wasn't much in it.
Lurking is shirking.!

Chris@SRSWATFORD

Link Posted 21/04/2010 - 22:50
We find that we can sell both brands easily. The Samsung branded product sells for slightly less. In the case of the K20D vs GX20, we get between 5 & 10% more for the K20D.

We could do with more stock as we sold eight K20D's over the weekend which has completely wiped us out of stock! We currently have some K10D, *IstD, *Ist DL, K100D & K100D Supers in stock. Interestingly, we rarely get K200D's - I guess people are holding onto them & we have a list of people waiting for them if they come in...

We compile lists of second hand 'wants' as a lot of used equipment leaves us without even being listed on our website or being displayed in the shop. If anyone wants something then PM me and I will add them to the lists!
For all things Pentax please visit www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk - anything not listed please email or call!

Follow us on Facebook

hefty1

Link Posted 21/04/2010 - 23:21
Well I sell only on eBay and in tiny quantities compared to LCE and SRS above (evening gentlemen ) so my experience is limited. For what it's worth though I've sold Samsung versions of both the DA12-24 and the D-FA100 Macro on there, and both have fetched prices pretty much exactly in line with what others have sold the Pentax versions for.

I can't speak for the bodies but it doesn't seem there's any particular bias against Samsung glass out there...
Joining the Q

Oggy

Link Posted 21/04/2010 - 23:52
There is still the question as to whether Samsung glass has the same coating as Pentax. I have still not heard an authoritative answer to this.

WobblyGoblin

Link Posted 22/04/2010 - 09:08
I'm a bit surprised there isn't more of a difference to be honest. I have a Samsung and I bought it expecting it not to hold it's value anywhere near as well as an equivalent Pentax. I also bought mine as a bit of a steal (last one in the shop) so I am doubley happy!
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...

ste

Link Posted 22/04/2010 - 22:25
As I understand, both the Pentax and Samsung lenses are made by SCHNEIDER

Anvh

Link Posted 22/04/2010 - 22:35
I've actually no idea by who they are made, I believe it's done by several and not by one.
Lenses like the Limited lenses for example require some special care, at least it's pretty sure the glass comes from Hoya.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

greynolds999

Link Posted 22/04/2010 - 22:37
If I were buying a lens second hand I would always choose Pentax over Samsung, even if the Pentax cost about 10% more. The main reason is aesthetics - the Pentax lenses just look better!

But when the prices have been significantly different I have bought Samsung, but I expect them to be worth slightly less when I come to sell them.
My Photobucket

johnriley

Link Posted 22/04/2010 - 23:54
ste wrote:

No, the lenses in question are made in the Taiwan Pentax factories.
Best regards, John

nass

Link Posted 23/04/2010 - 07:27
The
ste wrote:

The lenses are Pentax lenses but Schneider is the label that Samsung gives them.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

Pwynnej

Link Posted 23/04/2010 - 09:34
nass wrote:
The
ste wrote:

The lenses are Pentax lenses but Schneider is the label that Samsung gives them.

Not the more recent ones Nass, Samsung is more prominent on the later 18-55s than on the earlier ones....

Schneider-Kreuznach I think belongs to Samsung, and AFAIK they still make pro grade lenses in Germany...
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. DFA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. D-FA 100 (gone now!). The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon

Mongoose

Link Posted 23/04/2010 - 10:33
Am I the only person who considers camera equipment to be generally something you buy and use until it becomes unusable?

Without exception I regret selling every passable quality lens I have ever sold, so I don't sell lenses anymore unless they are duplicates of something I already have or no use to me.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

nass

Link Posted 23/04/2010 - 10:43
Pwynnej wrote:
nass wrote:
The
Quote:

Not the more recent ones Nass, Samsung is more prominent on the later 18-55s than on the earlier ones....

Schneider-Kreuznach I think belongs to Samsung, and AFAIK they still make pro grade lenses in Germany...

Ahhh ok, cheers for that clarification
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.