Pentax KP ignores TAV setting

newbiek50user

Link Posted 27/08/2018 - 16:18
Hi,
Why does my new camera ignore my capture settings?
I took delivery of a new Pentax KP three days ago. On Saturday I took it on a field trip to test it photographing birds in flight. I set the Mode button to TAV, AF to AF.C, Continuous shooting (Low), back-button AF, first photo action Focus Priority, Shutter speed to 1/2000 and Aperture to F8, leaving ISO to AUTO. I was using the camera with my Pentax 55-300 PLM lens @ 300 mm. The button with various user settings was “.” (disable).
The camera ignored my shutter and aperture settings completely! The photos taken were all at 1/450 and f/4. Why? What use is the setting if it doesn’t allow the user to pre-set and save the desired capture settings? Have I failed to overlook some setting that demands camera override?
I tried it at home again today and I have the same problem having scoured the User Manual.
Any suggestions?

Chrism8

Link Posted 27/08/2018 - 16:24
What were the limits set in camera for min and max ISO ? If these were to low, that may have caused the issue.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.

Helpful

McGregNi

Link Posted 27/08/2018 - 17:24
F8 with 1/2000th ..... Was it very bright? If not then the ISO would have to ramp up rather high, and as Chris said the pre-set limit could have been exceeded.

There is also a setting for auto-exposure adjustment, which if activated world override the user set parameters if these caused oor exposure. This may have happened, causing your pre-set aperture and ISO to be overridden....?

It's the same as aircraft autopilot .... The user still has to have a full in depth knowledge of exactly what's going on and the limits of the automation to remain fully in control of things.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Helpful

pschlute

Link Posted 27/08/2018 - 17:28
"The button with various user settings was “.” (disable)"

Can you explain that in more detail.
Peter

My Flickr page

Helpful

newbiek50user

Link Posted 27/08/2018 - 17:37
Hi, Thanks for the replies.
Chris, I just left ISO as AUTO. I didn't check the limits. I'll check.
McGregNi, It was sunny, but I didn't check whether there were pre-set limits on AUTO. I will check that. Thank you. Also, I haven't come across thie setting for Auto Exposure adjustment. I'll look for that.
On the setting dial on the KP, the dot (.)mark seemed to me to be to do nothing with the set mode whereas the other settings are for things like HDR. Maybe my understanding is wrong. Thanks.

M

Helpful

newbiek50user

Link Posted 27/08/2018 - 23:24
I have now checked and there are/were no limits on ISO in TAV and the only Auto Exposure adjustment that I can find relates to EV and that setting is OFF. I think that I now understand the Settings dial since its use appears to depend on the Function dial . In the Manual it is described as being the Smart Function. The dot disables the Setting Dial operation; The other positions relate to changing the specific settings for AE, HDR, continuous shooting, Image finishing tone.capture type of AA filter and. lastly, monitor brightness. You use the Function dial to choose one of these functions and the Settings dial to change the settings for that dial. Apparently I was wrong to say that the Dot was on the settings dial - it is on the Function dial so all it does is to disable the use of the Settings dial. It would have had no impact on the use of the TAV mode.
So I still don't understand why I cannot preset my choices of aperture and shutter speed within TAV (given no limits of ISO and no automatic exposure corrections).

pschlute

Link Posted 28/08/2018 - 00:13
I suggest you take some pictures and post them on here with exif intact.
Peter

My Flickr page

newbiek50user

Link Posted 28/08/2018 - 06:01
Thanks Peter, McGregNi and Chris but I've decided to send the KP back to Amazon. The TAV problem was really just the last straw. I've decided to replace it with a K3ii while they're still available new. The KP did have a tilting screen and this was its main selling point to me. It did have built-in flash. However, it also had weird grips - none of which was really comfortable and crowded buttons which made using it a bit of a pain. It had a plasticky feel and it was just overly complex. A K3ii will have a proper body, a top lcd, a proper battery, gps and separate AF and AE lock buttons. It will also cost less.
Thank you again for your help.

redbusa99

Link Posted 28/08/2018 - 10:14
good choice. just try and find a right angle viewfinder for it and the missing articulated screen is not so much of a loss.
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr

GeoffSteyning

Link Posted 07/07/2019 - 18:02
Similar to my own woes with the KP - I got one two weeks ago and spent a week with it, finding lots of things that just didn't work - couldn't even switch it on/off sometimes and needed to take the battery out and put it back in again to get some life out of it. I noticed the TAV setting was also a bit weird but left it to check more important things. I took it back to the shop and just let them try out a few things and they quickly agreed with me.

So a week later (two days ago) I got another KP from the shop (not black and silver like the original one). I haven't quite got over the problems with the most incompetent user manual I've ever picked up (even the term 'user manual' brings the term 'gobbledegook' into disrepute). Some of what should be the simplest controls - things that should come straight to hand, without seaching for the right buttons and dials, like exposure mode, focus mode and other smaller things, just seem to make operating the camera more complicated than it should be.
Again I'm finding the TAV option not working - even when the Auto ISO range is set to 200-3200, and various slow shutter speeds, in a well lit room - it still doesn't work. It also took a while to work out why the shake reduction system seemed to decide, on its own, when to switch on and off. Battery life is also very poor - it actually needs a spare, charged battery or perhaps the (over-priced, as usual) battery grip.
I'll give it another couple of weeks, take some test shots on a realistic outing and then decide whether it's fit for purpose.

BUT REALLY! I wish I could find something like the old Magic Lantern book (which I had for the K10D) - or even a quality e-book (which I found for my K5ii).
Last Edited by GeoffSteyning on 07/07/2019 - 18:05

pschlute

Link Posted 07/07/2019 - 18:19
GeoffSteyning wrote:
Similar to my own woes with the KP - I got one two weeks ago and spent a week with it, finding lots of things that just didn't work - couldn't even switch it on/off sometimes and needed to take the battery out and put it back in again to get some life out of it. I noticed the TAV setting was also a bit weird but left it to check more important things. I took it back to the shop and just let them try out a few things and they quickly agreed with me.

So a week later (two days ago) I got another KP from the shop (not black and silver like the original one). I haven't quite got over the problems with the most incompetent user manual I've ever picked up (even the term 'user manual' brings the term 'gobbledegook' into disrepute). Some of what should be the simplest controls - things that should come straight to hand, without seaching for the right buttons and dials, like exposure mode, focus mode and other smaller things, just seem to make operating the camera more complicated than it should be.
Again I'm finding the TAV option not working - even when the Auto ISO range is set to 200-3200, and various slow shutter speeds, in a well lit room - it still doesn't work. It also took a while to work out why the shake reduction system seemed to decide, on its own, when to switch on and off. Battery life is also very poor - it actually needs a spare, charged battery or perhaps the (over-priced, as usual) battery grip.
I'll give it another couple of weeks, take some test shots on a realistic outing and then decide whether it's fit for purpose.

BUT REALLY! I wish I could find something like the old Magic Lantern book (which I had for the K10D) - or even a quality e-book (which I found for my K5ii).

Really sounds like you either have been very unlucky in getting a lemon of a camera , again, or you do not know how to use it.

Perhaps describe just one instance (and post a picture with exif intact) so we can try and diagnose the problem.
Peter

My Flickr page

JAK

Link Posted 07/07/2019 - 19:38
Was the KP left in auto mode? If so it will choose whatever settings it feels appropriate, no matter what you might alter!
John K

GeoffSteyning

Link Posted 18/07/2019 - 18:24
Thanks, Peter and John.

I haven't used the "Auto" mode (would probably never use it)

I'm finding my way round the KP, though I could only get out to test functions two days ago. So.....
TAV - my first impression (indoors) didn't really simulate the eventual purpose I may use it for - animals, particularly birds. To be fair, I'd have to do more tests outside - but I can get by without it if necessary.

Some things that still annoy me......
1. The "manual" (and the lack of a true user guide, giving the 'why', 'when' and 'how'). OK, books would have limited sales but I got a good guide on PDF for the K5ii (nothing like it available now)
2. Battery life..... the battery was depleted after about four hours of my tests at home. I'll probably go for a battery grip but they're silly prices - failing that, get a second, and possibly a third, battery. (why did they change the size from the much more usable K5 one?)
3. Why did they change the cable release fitting (plug) from the K5 (this may apply to the K3 and K70 as well) - to be fair, 95% of the time I'm happy with using a delay on the shutter, but that doesn't work with very long exposures, so I'll probably have to get another.
4. On/Off button far too close to the front dial - you can easily turn the camera off while turning the front dial.
5. Almost nothing in the manual about 'Astrophoto'... .. it needs the 'optional' GPS Unit (no idea what that costs). There's more info in the manual about the 'Astrotracer' - all irrelevant unless you've got the GPS Unit.

I can see I'll need the manual in my bag for years to come!

JAK

Link Posted 18/07/2019 - 22:23
Have you sorted out the TAv seting now. Maybe the lens aperture / shutter speed combination couldn't set correctly with the ISO range set.The bright room maybe wesn't bright enough!
1. The KP downloadable manual is here:
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.uk/media/a42106d18d2382d496917086e83697df/KP-OPM-EN...

2. A new battery may need several cycles before it gives full capacity.

3. No idea!

4. Guess it is what it is. Would a K3 or K-1 be better? The KP is designed to be a camera with a small footprint so things will be cramped.

5. The K-3ii and K-1 have the GPS/astrotracer built in (but no onboard flash.)

Perhaps you bought the wrong camera for your needs? Did you compare the KP against other models?
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 18/07/2019 - 22:26

michaelblue

Link Posted 19/07/2019 - 08:13
GeoffSteyning wrote:
Thanks, Peter and John.

I haven't used the "Auto" mode (would probably never use it)

I'm finding my way round the KP, though I could only get out to test functions two days ago. So.....
TAV - my first impression (indoors) didn't really simulate the eventual purpose I may use it for - animals, particularly birds. To be fair, I'd have to do more tests outside - but I can get by without it if necessary.

Some things that still annoy me......
1. The "manual" (and the lack of a true user guide, giving the 'why', 'when' and 'how'). OK, books would have limited sales but I got a good guide on PDF for the K5ii (nothing like it available now)
2. Battery life..... the battery was depleted after about four hours of my tests at home. I'll probably go for a battery grip but they're silly prices - failing that, get a second, and possibly a third, battery. (why did they change the size from the much more usable K5 one?)
3. Why did they change the cable release fitting (plug) from the K5 (this may apply to the K3 and K70 as well) - to be fair, 95% of the time I'm happy with using a delay on the shutter, but that doesn't work with very long exposures, so I'll probably have to get another.
4. On/Off button far too close to the front dial - you can easily turn the camera off while turning the front dial.
5. Almost nothing in the manual about 'Astrophoto'... .. it needs the 'optional' GPS Unit (no idea what that costs). There's more info in the manual about the 'Astrotracer' - all irrelevant unless you've got the GPS Unit.

I can see I'll need the manual in my bag for years to come!

I picked up a couple of spare 'generic' batteries for my KP for a 'tenner' from ebay, they need to be used and charged a few times to get to maximum power but are now good.
I've never turned the camera off while using the front dial.
Again, i got a cable release for a few pounds from 'the bay' which works perfectly and is smaller than the original.
By the way, the grip for the KP will also take the K5 batteries!
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.