Pentax K3iii what & when?


Spider-Man

Link Posted 01/11/2016 - 21:38
Given the impressive feature set and competitive price point of the new Pentax K70 how long will it be before Pentax announce an updated K3 iii and what features will it have?
It's not the strongest species that survive, nor is it the most intelligent. It is those most adaptable to change.

Gwyn

Link Posted 01/11/2016 - 21:54
When? About a week after I buy a K3II.

Still trying to decide whether to get one or replace the phone first. Can't afford to do both.

JAK

Link Posted 02/11/2016 - 00:14
Spider-Man wrote:
Given the impressive feature set and competitive price point of the new Pentax K70 how long will it be before Pentax announce an updated K3 iii and what features will it have?

Thought they just did, they call it the K-1. It doesn't have to be used as a full frame camera, just set it to APS-C mode and upgrade it instantly to full frame when you're ready at no further cost. Two cameras in one!
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 02/11/2016 - 00:18

Nigelk

Link Posted 02/11/2016 - 08:19
I notice that special deals for the K3II with free grip have started appearing in Americaland, this can often be a sign of an announcement of a replacement camera in a few months time. But not always!

Algernon

Link Posted 02/11/2016 - 08:32
I heard a rumour from my friend reliable_sauce that it would be 1st April 2017

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Spider-Man

Link Posted 02/11/2016 - 09:08
Jak wrote [Thought they just did, they call it the K-1. It doesn't have to be used as a full frame camera, just set it to APS-C mode and upgrade it instantly to full frame when you're ready at no further cost. Two cameras in one![/quote]

Whilst the K1 can be used in crop sensor mode its crop mode pixel count is just under 16 Mp whereas the K3 ii is 24 Mp, so you are losing quite a bit of extra resolving power. Additionally the K3 family can fire away at just a bit over 8 frames/ second. This combination of resolution, frame rate & APS-C sensor size mean the K3 is a good camera for wildlife and sports, which isn't really the K1's strong point.

With Pentax's heritage in APS-C they'd be crazy not to carry on developing advanced DSLRs using this sensor configuration.
It's not the strongest species that survive, nor is it the most intelligent. It is those most adaptable to change.

JAK

Link Posted 02/11/2016 - 11:15
Spider-Man wrote:
Whilst the K1 can be used in crop sensor mode its crop mode pixel count is just under 16 Mp whereas the K3 ii is 24 Mp, so you are losing quite a bit of extra resolving power. Additionally the K3 family can fire away at just a bit over 8 frames/ second. This combination of resolution, frame rate & APS-C sensor size mean the K3 is a good camera for wildlife and sports, which isn't really the K1's strong point.

With Pentax's heritage in APS-C they'd be crazy not to carry on developing advanced DSLRs using this sensor configuration.

I was being a little bit tongue in cheek, but the K-70 has only recently hit the shops too and shares many of the new features of the K-1. I expect attempts are being made to provide for faster focussing, hence the introduction of the KAF4 mount being a clue. As to what and when we'll see something, your guess is as good a mine! Doubt they'd call it a K-3iii though. Maybe a K-2 perhaps (and I've got one of those already, perhaps they'll do an upgrade kit for it! )
The K-1 in APS-C mode does do approx 50% faster frame rates in APS-C mode (not quite as fast as a K-3 though.)
With the pixel count of the K-1 in APS-C mode matching the pixel count of the K-5 it allows for less noise and a better high ISO performance which some users preferred over the K-3 performance in that area. Are there any newer (Sony) sensors that give K-5 performance at a higher pixel count? If so, that might be a clue, but more pixels will likely slow down fps rates without other advances. I suspect development of these (and in general) may have been slowed by the severe earthquakes that affected Japan. At least they didn't scupper the introduction of the K-1.
John K

GlynM

Link Posted 02/11/2016 - 12:04
JAK wrote:

... With the pixel count of the K-1 in APS-C mode matching the pixel count of the K-5 it allows for less noise and a better high ISO performance which some users preferred over the K-3 performance in that area.

I have to agree. I have always been disappointed by the noise performance of my K-3 when compared with my K-5. So I was very encouraged to see the reduced pixel density on the K-1. I just have to finish saving up and then justify the high cost of the full frame camera .

Glyn

wvbarnes

Link Posted 02/11/2016 - 14:22
Hi all, I'm not disappointed with my K3 and find 24 mp brilliant for cropping wildlife even with my 300mm F4 and tele adapter. After all a quarter of a frame is still 6 mp, good enough for printing. On the low light issue I find it different to compare given the resolution is 50% more than my old K5 so you will see more of what is there good and bad. I don't use above 1600 ISO but didn't on my old K5 either. Perhaps Sony could provide a 20 mp sensor as a good compromise for APSC?

K3 images lend themselves well to a clarity filter for gentle sharpening although this can bring up noise. perhaps some users are over sharpening?

I am disappointed that the electronic KAF4 mount is not being applied to my K3.

My biggest issue with Pentax top digital slrs is that they seem to be getting progressively bigger and heavier. A monocoque new body design rather than castings over stainless steel might be a start. I'd like to see say 600 grams as the target and a few mill off all dimensions to compete with mirrorless.

I'd also rather have lighter/ slimmer than an articulated LCD. I like the idea of the LED lights from the K1.

I don't mind losing the flash next time but a nice bundled compact one would be handy.

A return to a proper handbook would be nice even if digital.The K5 one was excellent with its advice on use, the K3 one useless beyond simply stating the settings.

Time for a more modern battery? Technology must have moved on. 900 exposures should be a good average target surely?

I'll not be an early adopter anyway, too many other things to enjoy in life (captured by my K3 for now). Caribbean cruise in a month!

davidstorm

Link Posted 02/11/2016 - 14:32
I would echo what Bill Barnes has said in the post above, I'm not disappointed with my K-3 either. Whilst it may be slightly behind a K-5iis in the noise department, I can't really see much difference in my images. Granted, I don't go above 3200 ISO.

I do think the K-3 will be replaced soon though, but not sure what with. I suspect whatever the replacement it will probably be a 24mp sensor.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

wvbarnes

Link Posted 02/11/2016 - 15:07
Anyone heard any more if the retro mirror less rumour? Maybe that will happen first? http://pentaxrumors.com/2016/09/17/pentax-vintage-mirrorless-camera-rumors/

andrewk

Link Posted 02/11/2016 - 15:18
wvbarnes wrote:
On the low light issue I find it different to compare given the resolution is 50% more than my old K5 so you will see more of what is there good and bad. I don't use above 1600 ISO but didn't on my old K5 either. Perhaps Sony could provide a 20 mp sensor as a good compromise for APSC?

This is a shot I took using my (4 day old) K70 and (4 hours old) DA 16-85mm, without flash at a camera club studio evening, at ISO 12,800, purely as a test. I have seen it projected on a large screen and no one noticed or commented about noise.




I would have no qualms about using the K70 routinely at ISO3200 - and maybe higher. The sensor you want just might be here already.

Andrew
Flickr photostream
Last Edited by andrewk on 02/11/2016 - 15:20

JAK

Link Posted 02/11/2016 - 16:01
wvbarnes wrote:
Anyone heard any more if the retro mirror less rumour? Maybe that will happen first? http://pentaxrumors.com/2016/09/17/pentax-vintage-mirrorless-camera-rumors/

Perhaps its my K-2 upgrade kit!

andrewk wrote:
This is a shot I took using my (4 day old) K70 and (4 hours old) DA 16-85mm, without flash at a camera club studio evening, at ISO 12,800, purely as a test. I have seen it projected on a large screen and no one noticed or commented about noise.

Yes, good noise just looks like film grain, as it does there.
John K

stu62

Link Posted 02/11/2016 - 16:07
wvbarnes wrote:
Anyone heard any more if the retro mirror less rumour? Maybe that will happen first? http://pentaxrumors.com/2016/09/17/pentax-vintage-mirrorless-camera-rumors/

i hear that they are leaving that little beast to the wanabe makers like canon and so on
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.