Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax K-S2 or Pentax K-70 ?

This topic has a poll - login to enter
Posted 17/09/2018 - 17:49 Link
Hi all,

I am looking for new Pentax camera for school year photo book, at the moment I have Pentax K-S1. However, I am stuck between both options Pentax K-S2 or Pentax K-70, and I went through a comparison website " Pentax K-S2 VS Pentax K-70 | Features " , but I am seeking people's reviews for the best quality of photos in both cameras as I don't need it for a professional jobs.

Awaiting your suggestions.

All the best,
Han
Nigelk
Posted 18/09/2018 - 07:27 Link
I have the K-S2 and am very happy with it.
To be honest I'd recommend getting the one you can get the best deal on. Either will be great for your needs from the sounds of your brief.
stub
Posted 18/09/2018 - 09:30 Link
What is the problem with the KS-1. This should be fully capable of the task in mind...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
JAK
Posted 18/09/2018 - 10:14 Link
stub wrote:
What is the problem with the KS-1. This should be fully capable of the task in mind...

Exactly. I often take my K-S1 out rather than the K-1 as it is one of the lightest DSLRs out there and lighter than some mirrorless offerings. I have to ask the OP, what do the K-S2 and K-70 offer for the task that can't be achieved with a K-S1 ? I really can't believe changing would make any significant difference to the results you get from the KS-1.
If spare photo funds are available, maybe look to spend them on faster or useful focal length lens. While the 18-55 is not bad, there are better alternatives. A faster lens would allow more available light indoor shots without the need for flash. A wider lens might be useful for getting group shots in confined spaces. A longer focal length lens to get more candid photos from a distance.
I'd certainly think it through again.
By the way, welcome to the forum!
John K
Edited by JAK: 18/09/2018 - 10:30
ronniemac
Posted 18/09/2018 - 22:35 Link
I traded in my K-S2 for a K-70, and know it to be a good decision for me for the following reasons:
1. Sensor is far less prone to noise, especially in low light
2. Sensor has higher pixel count, therefore capable of higher resolution photos which can matter when cropping.
3. Much improved grip - crucial for me.
4. Pixel shift is available for static subjects and noticeably improved colour, further reduced noise, and clarity.
5. Astro tracing feature good for shooting start when coupled with O-GPS
6. Better for video.

Other differences are minor, e.g. f.p.s., weight and size are very minor.

The K-70, which is in current production, superseded the K-S2, so is more readily available, but I would expect the former is slightly more expensive. Upgrading from a K-S1 to either would be a wise decision if your interest is in landscape photography because they are weather sealed.

Both K-S1 and K-S2 are remarkably good value for money, but from my experience using them both, the K-70 is without question the better camera.
Posted 19/09/2018 - 02:27 Link
Nigelk wrote:
I have the K-S2 and am very happy with it.
To be honest I'd recommend getting the one you can get the best deal on. Either will be great for your needs from the sounds of your brief.

you think if they're same price then it's better K-S
stub wrote:

we have to upgrade to better quality one !!
Edited by hanHashoua: 19/09/2018 - 02:31
Posted 19/09/2018 - 02:36 Link
JAK wrote:
stub wrote:

Exactly. I often take my K-S1 out rather than the K-1 as it is one of the lightest DSLRs out there and lighter than some mirrorless offerings. I have to ask the OP, what do the K-S2 and K-70 offer for the task that can't be achieved with a K-S1 ? I really can't believe changing would make any significant difference to the results you get from the KS-1.
If spare photo funds are available, maybe look to spend them on faster or useful focal length lens. While the 18-55 is not bad, there are better alternatives. A faster lens would allow more available light indoor shots without the need for flash. A wider lens might be useful for getting group shots in confined spaces. A longer focal length lens to get more candid photos from a distance.
I'd certainly think it through again.
By the way, welcome to the forum!

That really good idea and it would be better if you tell me a low price of a lens if I can but with either K-S2 or K-70 ?

Thanks a lot JAK
Posted 19/09/2018 - 02:45 Link
ronniemac wrote:
I traded in my K-S2 for a K-70, and know it to be a good decision for me for the following reasons:
1. Sensor is far less prone to noise, especially in low light
2. Sensor has higher pixel count, therefore capable of higher resolution photos which can matter when cropping.
3. Much improved grip - crucial for me.
4. Pixel shift is available for static subjects and noticeably improved colour, further reduced noise, and clarity.
5. Astro tracing feature good for shooting start when coupled with O-GPS
6. Better for video.

Other differences are minor, e.g. f.p.s., weight and size are very minor.

The K-70, which is in current production, superseded the K-S2, so is more readily available, but I would expect the former is slightly more expensive. Upgrading from a K-S1 to either would be a wise decision if your interest is in landscape photography because they are weather sealed.

Both K-S1 and K-S2 are remarkably good value for money, but from my experience using them both, the K-70 is without question the better camera.

Yes I'm starting to consider by the K-70 more.. if it has higher resolution and videos would be great choice
JAK
Posted 19/09/2018 - 10:17 Link
hanHashoua wrote:
That really good idea and it would be better if you tell me a low price of a lens if I can but with either K-S2 or K-70 ?

Thanks a lot JAK

I can't recommend any specific lenses as I have no idea of your style of photography. I'd have thought you could get something really worthwhile for the price of a K-S2 or K-70 body though. If you're not getting good images from a K-S1 then it might be down to your technique or processing of raw files (if you use those) and if not, the settings for in camera jpegs which are not necessarily optimum by default.
If funds are no object why not look for a K-3 or K-3ii (perhaps used) which are higher end and more versatile models. I don't believe you'll see much, if any, gain going from a K-S1 to a K-S2 and not a lot to a K-70.
https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=pentax_ks1&produ...

You'll note the specs of all three are not that different to each other.

Now compare against the K-3s:
https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=pentax_ks1&produ...

Either really would make a difference.
John K
Edited by JAK: 19/09/2018 - 10:32
MrB
Posted 19/09/2018 - 15:41 Link
I'm sure there will be many who are happy with their K-S1 or K-S2, but I agree with Ronnie with regard to the K-70. In his list, in particular 1 and 2 could be significant for your yearbook photography. The K-70 is amazing value - a very capable and well-featured body for not much more than the K-S2.

Philip
Leo222
Posted 11/05/2020 - 13:12 Link
Hi, wanna ask for advice.
Looked for present to my wife. I want to give her a good camera, I heard about Sony, Canon, a bit about Pentax. I looked at the comparison of cameras, here. And can you tell me. What are the advantages and disadvantages of pentax compared to other cameras?
Edited by Leo222: 11/05/2020 - 13:13
SteveF
Posted 11/05/2020 - 16:47 Link
hanHashoua wrote:
Hi all,

I am looking for new Pentax camera for school year photo book, at the moment I have Pentax K-S1. However, I am stuck between both options Pentax K-S2 or Pentax K-70, and I went through a comparison website " Pentax K-S2 VS Pentax K-70 | Features " , but I am seeking people's reviews for the best quality of photos in both cameras as I don't need it for a professional jobs.

Awaiting your suggestions.

All the best,
Han

I own both models and am very happy with them; I like the luxury of a second body in certain situations when time doesn't permit regular lens changing.

You do realise that if you chose KS-2, you will be buying secondhand as it is no longer in production? Both would do the job for you (as would your KS-1 according to other posters). The K70 has the advantage of being a current model with a version of the latest technology.

It seems that budget might be the determining factor for you here.
spinno
Posted 11/05/2020 - 18:29 Link
2 year old thread
David

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.