Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax K-r AEB Question

davesexton
Posted 02/11/2011 - 14:44 Link
All,

Please excuse me for asking a potentially stupid question. However, it seem that when using the AEB (auto-exposure-bracketing) mode of the Pentax K-r, it is NOT possible to trigger the exposure using the remote. I have fiddled with the camera, and read the instructions and this seems to be something that I will just have to live with (or trade up to a K5). This is a rather annoying limitation.

My question is whether anyone knows of any work around to this. I do a lot of HDR work, much of it in fairly low light conditions where having my finger on the shutter release button is simply not an option. Currently, I am using the exposure compensation in conjunction with the remote or the timer to shoot one shot at a time, adjusting the exposure compensation between shots. If there is a way of triggering AEB shooting with the remote, I would be very happy to know about it!

I suspect I am going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade to a K5 (should have spent more in the first place...).

Best regards,

Dave
Capture: Pentax K-1, PENTAX HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR, PENTAX 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro, SAMYANG 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC, SAMYANG 35mm F1.4 AS UMC, • SAMYANG 85mm F1.4 AS IF UMC

Processing: Adobe Bridge for organisation, DxO Optics Pro Elite for RAW development, ON1 Photo RAW for some 'stylising' and Affintiy Photo for more involved edits.
wvbarnes
Posted 02/11/2011 - 15:16 Link
Hi Dave and all,

Just had a play with my KR. Lovely camera at half the price of a K5

The adjustable in camera HDR works alongside 2 sec delay and presumably the remote settings. I can't see how you select more than one drive mode either though.

I don't get have a remote although I've just ordered a pattern one at silly price on 7 day shop (£2.89 post paid UK)

Personally even at the lower settings I find HDR results look very overcooked. A matter of taste I guess.
davesexton
Posted 02/11/2011 - 15:35 Link
Bill,

Yes, the K-r is lovely! It compares well in terms of ban for the buck to the K5.

It does seem that you have to move up to the K5 to get AEB and remote control at the same time. A shame as this limitation could be be fixed in firmware as it does not require ant more hardware than is already present on the camera body

I do not use the in-camera HDR. It does not offer enough control and, I concur with your view that the results look a little over-cooked. besides, I only ever shoot in RAW and then "tart my images up" after the event Photomatrix Pro is very good for HDR, as is East HDR Pro (I own both!).

Regards,

Dave
Capture: Pentax K-1, PENTAX HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR, PENTAX 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro, SAMYANG 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC, SAMYANG 35mm F1.4 AS UMC, • SAMYANG 85mm F1.4 AS IF UMC

Processing: Adobe Bridge for organisation, DxO Optics Pro Elite for RAW development, ON1 Photo RAW for some 'stylising' and Affintiy Photo for more involved edits.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.