Pentax K-7 Flash Problems

pentaxanne

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 14:04
hi matt original focus screen also matrix metering and using the kit wr lenses also flash power output is set to normal middle. I will try do some more test but i still think it bumps the iso up with out needing it especially in tav and manual mode. Using auto iso
Last Edited by pentaxanne on 24/03/2010 - 14:08

MattMatic

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 14:18
I don't think the problem has anything to do with ISO setting
The ISO the camera chooses is dependent on a number of factors - but it shouldn't affect the flash exposure (unless you hit the flash limits). As I've tested, the pop-up flash (set to 0.0Ev in the flash settings) works every time in ISO ranges from 100 to 6400!

I can only just make it go over exposed by setting ISO6400, and going in really close.

It makes me wonder whether your pop-up flash is defective... it's almost as though the pop-up is discharging completely every time. That would certainly give the results you are seeing. (The reason I asked about the lens is that older lenses, like the "A" and "M" manual lenses will not support P-TTL flash and will result in the flash completely discharging every time.)

From my limited experience with the K-7 you certainly shouldn't be having these issues.

Have you tried other lenses? (I've only tried the DA17-70... but will try with some more!)

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

MattMatic

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 14:36
Ok, I've tried this out some more and can add the following information and descriptions

As I hinted at before there are ways to tell the camera how to balance the ambient light with the flash lighting. Depending on the flash modes you have set, the camera will obtain an exposure for either the ambient or for the flash.

* In TAv mode the camera always aims for ambient lighting. So, you should notice that the ISO setting the camera chooses for your given Tv & Av combination will be same whether the flash is up or down.

* In P, Tv, Av:
- the camera will choose a flash exposure (ie lower ISO) when the flash mode is set to a "normal" one.

- the camera will choose the ambient exposure (ie higher ISO) when the flash mode is set to one of the "Slow" settings (because you are asking for a slower shutter speed that matches the ambient lighting).

This is one of those times that a quick live demonstration would go a long way! With my K-7 it works out-the-box as it is - so either there's a setting problem, or a physical problem (I'm still not sure we've exhausted all the setting issues).

You may want to do a "Reset all settings" on the K-7 to get it back to factory default...

Matt

Anvh

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 14:43
MattMatic wrote:
You may want to do a "Reset all settings" on the K-7 to get it back to factory default...

There is a simpler way for that, when you go into the "cutom menu" you would have the option to remove the custom settings you made by "unchecking" the first box.
It's not a reset but if you find that didn't make a difference you can "check" the box again to turn your custom settings on.

And here is another question, what's your flash compensation set to?
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 24/03/2010 - 14:45

pentaxanne

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 15:19
thanks matt i will try a reset and go from there. Is there any setting you can advice me to use. Stefan the flash is set to middle. Will let you know how it goes later when i finish work and get the chance to do it. Hopefully its sometimi i am doing as i dont really wanna have to send it back to srs as i have just put a 20£ screen protector on it also the cost of sending it back.

gartmore

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 16:23
If it does have to back you'd be better sending it to Johnsons Photopia directly since that is where SRS will have to send it. Save a bit of time.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

pentaxanne

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 16:56
ken the camera is only a week old, i refuse to have something repaired of this age.

MattMatic

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 17:18
...let's establish that it isn't a setting issue first

As I said, it's much much easier to suss out what's happening first-hand. But, assuming your not nearby (Hove) then we'll have to persist with this approach first.

Resetting all settings would be a good way to start. It will certainly sort out the camera issues.

As you have an external flash, I would suggest correlating the problem with that:

* If it behaves the same with the external then we're looking at settings

* If it behaves correctly with external, but badly with popup then it's probably a faulty pop-up.

HTH!
Matt

pentaxanne

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 19:29
thanks for all the help guys im really greatfull.
matt i have done a reset and things seems alot better now i see what you mean about tav mode, i have tried it in p and tv and av with different apatures and it is alot better, (i would still say its still bumps the iso up for no reason and some shots are a little over the top.)

just tried the same shot in av mode with the built in flash and the samsung in pttl mode(green), lens set at 200mm flash shutter speed 180/sec (auto iso) camera selected iso 400 for both flashes.(slow iso adjustment set).
which looks better,(no adjustments straight out camera jpeg)

any suggestions for a site i can store photos that keep the exif data would be great if any one knows any.
Last Edited by pentaxanne on 24/03/2010 - 19:55

Anvh

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 19:46
Glad you solved it... now comes the question what caused it

I believe you can use Flickr with EXIF data or else try photobucket that's also free.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

pentaxanne

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 19:52
Anvh wrote:

I believe you can use Flickr with EXIF data or else try photobucket that's also free.

hi stefan which picture looks better exposed to you.
also these were from flicker. and im also with photobucket and both remove the exif data.

dlacouture

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 20:15
Well, I guess I must have the same settings, as my K7 behaves quite the same way... (see my previous post)

pentaxanne

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 20:29
dlacouture wrote:
Well, I guess I must have the same settings, as my K7 behaves quite the same way... (see my previous post)

can you post an example, im happier with the results im getting(but i still think iys bumping the iso up for no reason.)
also i have adjusted the flash manual to -2 and up to =1 and it does make a big difference.
Last Edited by pentaxanne on 24/03/2010 - 20:29

Anvh

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 20:35
pentaxanne wrote:
Anvh wrote:

also these were from flicker. and im also with photobucket and both remove the exif data.

#2, #1 is still too dark and even #2 could be slithly brighter.

As for the exif, did you resize the photo maybe or used a program of some kind?
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

pentaxanne

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 22:14
Anvh wrote:
pentaxanne wrote:
Quote:

#2, #1 is still too dark and even #2 could be slithly brighter.

As for the exif, did you resize the photo maybe or used a program of some kind?

stefan no resizing, flicker does that. also you say 2 could be slighty brighter.
1 to me looks to dark and 2 looks a tad light.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.