Pentax K-3: REDEMPTION

davidstorm
Posted 08/12/2013 - 21:57 Link
JAK wrote:
I've just added to my previous post!
Thanks John, this is the exact same point I have made in another thread a few minutes ago!

Cheers
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Smeggypants
Posted 08/12/2013 - 23:29 Link
johnriley wrote:
I think it's a shame that such comments on the web so easily discourage people. We have no idea what he was really doing with his camera and he might have made some ludicrous error for all we know.

Very often though some seem to selectively believe/not believe what they read, as is their wont.

As for myself, I still use the K20D and K-5 but when one wants replacing it will be the K-3 as things stand at the moment.
I can't take him seriously at all. I don't take Kai from Digital Rev TV seriously either but Kai is entertaining, this guy is staggeringly painful!
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Smeggypants
Posted 08/12/2013 - 23:30 Link
davidstorm wrote:
QuestionableCarrot wrote:
Agreed.
I'm seriously considering buying another k-5 instead
You would really make this assumption Alistair on the strength of watching one video on You Tube? I'm quite surprised. I do watch videos, I do read reviews, I take into account what people say, but at the end of the day it is personal experience that counts the most for me.
So how many hours experience did you have with the K-3 before you bought one?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Smeggypants
Posted 08/12/2013 - 23:59 Link
JAK wrote:

I'm sure if noise is a problem on the K-3 Pentax will tweak some of the settings but the issue seems to be overplayed by some who haven't actually made their own comparison test shots where settings can be changed from the default to see the effect. Relying on published default setting test shots from possibly beta software may give a misleading picture, literally.
I made my valid comparisons from DNGs ( with noise reduction set to off ) from Imaging Resource. I compared DNGs with no noise reduction because I apply NR in Lightroom where I can control it more easily per shot if necessary and on a selective basis across the frame.



Quote:
overplayed by some
I can't speak for anyone else but I've no reason to overplay anything. I've done some research so I can plan my future camera purchase roadmap better. It makes sense to me to check things out as thoroughly as possible before buying something costing a grand



Quote:

The K-3 sensor has 50% more pixels, so if one zooms in to 100% one might expect to see 50% more noise,
Are you being serious? Please say no. Zoomed into 100% there's exactly the same amount of pixels per unit area.





Quote:

but at the equivalent magnification that should not be obvious i.e. the K-3 can be run at a 14MP jpeg setting where a closer comparison can be made. If those shots show more noise than a K-5 then the K-3 does have a problem.
Viewing K-5 and K-3 shots at exactly the same size you can easily see the extra noise at higher ISOs.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Daniel Bridge
Posted 09/12/2013 - 00:04 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
Viewing K-5 and K-3 shots at exactly the same size you can easily see the extra noise at higher ISOs.
Yes you can.

link

But I think you meant the K-3 was noisier.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Smeggypants
Posted 09/12/2013 - 00:15 Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:
Viewing K-5 and K-3 shots at exactly the same size you can easily see the extra noise at higher ISOs.
Yes you can.

link

But I think you meant the K-3 was noisier.

Dan
I did. And it is.

link



.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Daniel Bridge
Posted 09/12/2013 - 00:24 Link
The lighting on those is different, significantly darker on the K-3 shot. What are your thoughts on the examples I posted? Just out of curiosity really, you've clearly made up your mind, but from what I can see, with brief test I've done, the K-3 looks better.

I'm one of the 'rarely use it above ISO 1600 brigade', so this very high ISO performance doesn't worry me too much, but still interested, obviously.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Smeggypants
Posted 09/12/2013 - 00:44 Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
The lighting on those is different, significantly darker on the K-3 shot.
Evening up the brightness makes no difference

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the examples I posted? Just out of curiosity really, you've clearly made up your mind, but from what I can see, with brief test I've done, the K-3 looks better.

I'm one of the 'rarely use it above ISO 1600 brigade', so this very high ISO performance doesn't worry me too much, but still interested, obviously.

Dan
Well you've used different NR and sharpening settings in LR and the images have a heavy single colour cast, so it's ot a good comparison at all to be honest.


I've posted comparisons at the same size with NO processing, and although there is a difference lighting you can easily see the K-3 is noisier than the K-5.

I found when I used Lightroom 4 to try and make the K-3 as good as the K-5 I couldn't, the extra noise reduction required smeared the image too much


I really have no prejudice to make the K-3 worse, I've simply been doing some research for my own buying decisions. I wasn't 100% confident the K-3 would be any better than the K-5 at high ISO given it's 24MP v 16MP, but I didn't expect it to be worse.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Daniel Bridge
Posted 09/12/2013 - 01:06 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
Daniel Bridge wrote:
The lighting on those is different, significantly darker on the K-3 shot.
Evening up the brightness makes no difference
But evening up the brightness is effectively then making the K-3 run at a higher ISO. And I don't just mean the K-3 image is darker, the shadows between the bottles on the right hand side are distinctly darker than on the K-5 shot, so the lighting must be different, not just a different brightness.

Smeggypants wrote:
Quote:
What are your thoughts on the examples I posted? Just out of curiosity really, you've clearly made up your mind, but from what I can see, with brief test I've done, the K-3 looks better.

I'm one of the 'rarely use it above ISO 1600 brigade', so this very high ISO performance doesn't worry me too much, but still interested, obviously.

Dan
Well you've used different NR and sharpening settings in LR and the images have a heavy single colour cast, so it's not a good comparison at all to be honest.
Fair enough, I shall try it again one evening with an array of colours and consistent lighting.

I used different NR and sharpening settings because they're different sensors, and I was adjusting them to give what I felt was the best result. If I do reshoot I'll be happy to ping the raw files over to you if you want them.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Smeggypants
Posted 09/12/2013 - 02:17 Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:
Daniel Bridge wrote:
The lighting on those is different, significantly darker on the K-3 shot.
Evening up the brightness makes no difference
But evening up the brightness is effectively then making the K-3 run at a higher ISO. And I don't just mean the K-3 image is darker, the shadows between the bottles on the right hand side are distinctly darker than on the K-5 shot, so the lighting must be different, not just a different brightness.

Smeggypants wrote:
Quote:
What are your thoughts on the examples I posted? Just out of curiosity really, you've clearly made up your mind, but from what I can see, with brief test I've done, the K-3 looks better.

I'm one of the 'rarely use it above ISO 1600 brigade', so this very high ISO performance doesn't worry me too much, but still interested, obviously.

Dan
Well you've used different NR and sharpening settings in LR and the images have a heavy single colour cast, so it's not a good comparison at all to be honest.
Fair enough, I shall try it again one evening with an array of colours and consistent lighting.

I used different NR and sharpening settings because they're different sensors, and I was adjusting them to give what I felt was the best result. If I do reshoot I'll be happy to ping the raw files over to you if you want them.

Dan
Sure that would be cool DNGs, not PEFs though. ( did you make sure the NR was turned off im the camera? It does affect RAWs. I made sure to use the DNGS from Imaging resource with the NR Disabled.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Daniel Bridge
Posted 09/12/2013 - 15:41 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
Sure that would be cool DNGs, not PEFs though. ( did you make sure the NR was turned off im the camera? It does affect RAWs. I made sure to use the DNGS from Imaging resource with the NR Disabled.
Always DNG anyway, but hadn't turned NR off, so will do. If I get the chance to do it, I will!

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
davidstorm
Posted 09/12/2013 - 15:58 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
So how many hours experience did you have with the K-3 before you bought one?
None, I was referring to 'now', not when I bought it so I can base my observations on comparing my K-5iis and my K-3 over the past month or so. You already know this of course

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo