Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax ist DS - built in flash problem

stevistds
Posted 30/06/2024 - 13:28 Link
Anyone out there had an issue with the built-in flash not syncing with the shutter?

My old DS has developed a lag between the flash going off and the shutter releasing - photos with flash are very underexposed.

Tried to download latest firmware (currently running 2.00 and latest version is 2.02) as I thought it might reset things but the software expander won't open the file on my MACBook!

May just have to continue without the flash, hey-ho!

Steve
It all started with a ME now look at me!
Spad
Posted 30/06/2024 - 14:28 Link
Is the flash set on trailing sync?? It could be that, but it's been that long since I've used the built in the flash that I can'tremember. It's akso been even longer since I used an IST!
The Legendary Terry Pratchett once said:
At the beginning there was nothing... which exploded
Edited by Spad: 30/06/2024 - 14:29
stevistds
Posted 30/06/2024 - 21:02 Link
Spad wrote:
Is the flash set on trailing sync?? It could be that, but it's been that long since I've used the built in the flash that I can'tremember. It's akso been even longer since I used an IST!

The ist DS is fairly basic and doesnít have that function. Probably not worth getting a repair due to age of the camera so Iíll just have to put up with the issue.
MHOL190246
Posted 01/07/2024 - 12:58 Link
Hi
Would doing a factory reset solve the issue. Probably a long shot, but...

Michael
stevistds
Posted 01/07/2024 - 14:04 Link
MHOL190246 wrote:
Hi
Would doing a factory reset solve the issue. Probably a long shot, but...

Michael

Hi Michael,
I thought about doing that but the firmware wonít download on my computer (itís a MAC and the software expander doesnít want to open the files - probably too old for Ricoh to support now?)
Posted 01/07/2024 - 14:57 Link
Could you not expand it online then download the bin file?
MHOL190246
Posted 01/07/2024 - 17:12 - Helpful Comment Link
Alternatively, could you ask a friend, neighbour or colleague to download it for you???
Cayman
Posted 11/07/2024 - 16:03 Link
Maybe it is time for an upgrade. There was a good priced k20d on here recently. It might be still for sale.
MHOL190246
Posted 11/07/2024 - 17:13 Link
Steve
When your shot was underexposed, how close to the subject were you? I gather that the ist DS would underexpose when flash was used in close up, for want of a better word, but behaved correctly with wider scenes. Just a thought

Michael
stevistds
Posted 11/07/2024 - 23:02 Link
MHOL190246 wrote:
Steve
When your shot was underexposed, how close to the subject were you? I gather that the ist DS would underexpose when flash was used in close up, for want of a better word, but behaved correctly with wider scenes. Just a thought

Michael

Hi Michael,

I've tried with a variety of distances and get the same issue - The flash is going off but I have a feeling that the shutter is delayed. I haven't got around to reloading the firmware yet perhaps the reset might help.

Steve
stevistds
Posted 11/07/2024 - 23:05 Link
Cayman wrote:
Maybe it is time for an upgrade. There was a good priced k20d on here recently. It might be still for sale.

I already have other options but the DS is in good nick and has always produced good images - I quite like the 6MP images which have great colour reproduction.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.