K10D

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 04:45
Pentax announce regret.

link

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

Clarky

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 05:00
That's all well and good but it amazes me that it wasn't picked up before they were shipped, it just makes you wonder about there quality control dept.

I would have liked too know how the problem originated, just out of curiosity.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

K10D

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 05:40
Clarky wrote:
That's all well and good but it amazes me that it wasn't picked up before they were shipped, it just makes you wonder about there quality control dept.

That sort of info would probably be witheld as part of PR damage limitation? One problem down and one to go with the FF/RF low light issue. They could have done without these sorts of problems.

Still, if they learn by their mistakes, a K3 FF with your FA31 Ltd on the front will be devastating....

"wishful thinking"

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link
Last Edited by K10D on 28/01/2011 - 05:41

johnriley

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 08:59
It's worth remembering that all marques have problems from time to time. This one seems to have been dealt with quite quickly and replacement cameras have been flowing through as well as repairs.

Canon have had to withdraw an entire lens production before now, Fuji had sensor problems with the S2, Canon had FF body IQ issues, and so on.

Things happen, it's how they are dealt with that counts.
Best regards, John

boeforce

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 10:53
But K5 was out of stock everywhere due to their recalling. They should extend their cashback offer for an additional one month.
Regards,

Liang

Clarky

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 11:24
johnriley wrote:
It's worth remembering that all marques have problems from time to time. This one seems to have been dealt with quite quickly and replacement cameras have been flowing through as well as repairs.

Canon have had to withdraw an entire lens production before now, Fuji had sensor problems with the S2, Canon had FF body IQ issues, and so on.

Quite right John, There is always going to be things like this crop up, but if Pentax are skimping on QC then that bothers me, I say this because (call me paranoid if you like) I was reading that cameras were being shipped with zero on the shutter count (mine included) where on previous models the shutter count was over 100, so does that indicate they are no longer checking them before shipping or are they reseting the counters?? or maybe just inspecting a select few off the production line.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

johnriley

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 11:32
Clarky wrote:
johnriley wrote:

Quite right John, There is always going to be things like this crop up, but if Pentax are skimping on QC then that bothers me, I say this because (call me paranoid if you like) I was reading that cameras were being shipped with zero on the shutter count (mine included) where on previous models the shutter count was over 100, so does that indicate they are no longer checking them before shipping or are they reseting the counters?? or maybe just inspecting a select few off the production line.

Maybe not paranoia but certainly pure conjecture. It's equally possible that Pentax (and maybe others) have become acutely aware that people are starting to delve into their maintenance menus on a larger scale and perhaps being disturbed that shutter counts were not zero. So maybe they reset them now. Who knows? Maybe it's only just become possible to reset them and it was something on the "to do" list that has now happened.

There's no evidence that there has ever been a QC problem at pentax any more than anywhere else, so why should there be one now? In fact, if we think about it, the latest K-5 problem might even have the opposite effect - a tightening up.
Best regards, John

Smeggypants

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 12:49
Clarky wrote:

Indeed. Tehre as obviosuly something really wrong with it for this kind of blunder.

However on a positive note it's perhaps kicked them up the, gosh, *bottom* to improve things

Quote:

Same here, but we'll never know I guess
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

johnriley

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 12:53
My totally unsubstantiated and random wonder is whether or not slight misplacement or distortion of the low pass filter actually caused Newton's rings.
Best regards, John

Greytop

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 13:34
It's shame Pentax seem to have tripped on their boot laces with the K-5 in this way.

There is no getting away from the fact that this sort of blunder does detract from an otherwise excellent body and begins to sow seeds of doubt even in loyal followers, a shame.

I suspect that manufacturing pressures lead to slips in the QA with pressure from Pentax decision makers,
keen to get their latest (and lets face it greatest) body into retail outlets in time for the pre Christmas bonanza.
Regards Huw

flickr

MrCynical

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 14:51
Clarky wrote:
it just makes you wonder about there quality control dept.

It makes you wonder about the quality department that approved underpowered SDM motors, and then approved a higher-than-usual proportion of squint lenses in the two DA* zooms with the result that the underpowered SDM motors were even more likely to fail? When your customers are buying Sigma lenses rather than your premium line to get better QC something is badly, badly wrong.
Last Edited by MrCynical on 29/01/2011 - 14:54
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.