Pentax DA 12-24 Lee Filters

bjolester

Link Posted 16/11/2018 - 21:05
Does anyone have experience with the Pentax DA12-24 and Lee 100 filters? Does the Lee 77mm wide angle adapter vignette? Are there are issues with adding weight to the outer barrel of this lens? I mostly use my Lee filters with my Pentax 67 lenses, and they are an all metal construction build to withstand armed combat😎 The plastic casing of the DA 12-24 seems a bit fragile in comparison. Maybe circular screw-on filters are better suited for the DA zoom?
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

mikeyscope

Link Posted 22/11/2018 - 23:02
Hi Bjørn

Hope things are well up there in the frozen north!

Like you I use the Lee 100 filter system for my 67 lenses, just base kit with standard 2 slots, ND & ND grads are the only filters I ten to use on rare occasions.

Tonight I tested your setup on my DA12-24 lens with my 77mm W/A adapter ring and could not see any signs of vignetting when pointing upwards at the white ceiling while alternately fitting & removing the ring and Lee filter holder while looking through the viewfinder or using live view.
The 77mm W/A adapter diameter is well clear of the glass lying just beyond the white lens lettering, the depth measured from lens face ...to adapter face is only 7mm deep. (see picture)

Even if there was slight vignetting (when shooting raw) you can always correct this in photoshop raw by choosing the Pentax DA12-24 lens profile from drop down menu then do a manual tweak in there of the image corner shadows to lighten any vignetting.

Weight wise just one or two filters and basic holder shouldn't cause any strain to the lens mechanism which focuses freely independently of the lens filter thread. Circular filters might be a bit restricting especially if wanting to use grads, I would stick with the Lee 100 system.
The adapter threads are very fine and could easily be misthreaded so just use the lightest of touch until you're sure the threads have caught correctly ...and avoid over tightening, no need.

Hope this helps your decisions.

Clear skies!

Mike

My Flickr Site

bjolester

Link Posted 23/11/2018 - 10:35
Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for such detailed and thorough response to my query! Based on this I will order the 77mm wide angle adapter, and start using my Lee filters on the DA 12-24.

All is well here in the frozen North. Currently we have record high winter temperatures, so no snow yet.

I have been looking for your images on Flickr, but it seems you have abandoned Flickr? Do you have other galleries where one can view your film and digital astro photography? Have you purchased the K-1 or are you still using the K-5 when using Pentax cameras?

All the best!
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

phb

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 15:40
Bjørn,

I have used lee 100 filters with the DA12-24 lens for many years quite successfully but with some provisos.
I have taken many test shots to find suitable combinations of filters but unfortunately I cannot find my notes now! However I would make the following comments

1. you definitely need the Lee wide angle 77mm adaptor

2.if you use any filter between the lens and the Lee adaptor( eg UV, protector or polariser) you will have vignetting for focal lengths
Last Edited by phb on 24/11/2018 - 15:41

phb

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 16:16
not sure what happened there , as some the message was lost!

2. If you have a filter ( eg UV, protector or polariser) between the lens and the Lee adaptor then there will probably be vignetting for focal lengths less than 14-15mm.

3. I use polarisers frequently and initially had a problem with the lee system. I was reluctant to buy the Lee 105mm filter because of cost and used a 77mm slim CPL between the lens and Lee adaptor. This cause quite heavy vignetting at the widest focal lengths. I eventually bought a Lee 105mm CPL and this improved matters. It is even better if you use a slim 105mm CPL such as the Heliopan or Lee landscape one.

4. If I need a CPL with the Lee filters , I now use the following set up
lens + Lee WA adaptor + lee 1 slot holder with the 105mm CPL ring and slim filter.
This only gives a slight darkening at the widest settings.

5. If I only need a CPL , then a slim 77mm screwed directly on the lens is best.
I know general wisdom is to avoid CPLs with wide angles but I think they give some fantastic effects on this lens if used carefully.

I suggest you make test shots with your equipment to find the best combination that suits you. I usually shoot at the sky at infinity setting and a range of apertures.

Out of interest I have recently purchased the Irix edge filter holder for the Irix 15mm lens. The holder is very good and much slimmer than the Lee one. I will try it on the Pentax 12-24mm as I now have an adaptor and will post the results.

I hope this helps and please ask if you want more information
regards
Paul

bjolester

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 23:42
Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the DA12-24 and Lee filters! The things you mention are very helpful!

The DA 12-24 is really a superb lens. I have mostly used mine for photographing the Northern Lights, but I would like to use it more for landscapes and general photography. Consequently it is important to know what filters can be used with lens.

I am very glad to have received such good advice, thanks once more!
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
Last Edited by bjolester on 24/11/2018 - 23:43

mikeyscope

Link Posted 25/11/2018 - 02:03
Hi Bjørn

Glad to see you're getting further details from Paul regarding the DA12-24mm lens/filters.

Been a difficult couple of years on the family front here including a house move and as a result my photography has taken a back seat so I didn't renew my Flickr subscription but will hopefully rejoin in the new year. I did put a few images on YouPic a while back just to try the site out, if I find some time I may try a basic site on Wix or similar web builder.
I did buy the K1 MK1 when it came out, so far it has had little use but just love it in testing so far, still have my trusty K5 MK1 such a great camera on the telescope especially for lunar detail.

Unfortunately new house has light polluted northern horizon towards Glasgow so my aurora photography would mean travelling elsewhere sadly.

Clear skies to you and hope you get some more great aurora shots this season!

Mike
My Flickr Site

bjolester

Link Posted 25/11/2018 - 17:57
Mike

Sorry to learn about your family difficulties, but hoping that things will work out and that you will be more active within photography in the new year!

I am waiting for the auroras, but no luck with the weather the few times there has been any auroral activity. The solar minimum also seems to bring less potent solar storms, so I guess one has to make the most out of any potential northern lights photographic possibility.

In the meantime I am planning to shoot some landscapes and other terrestrial subjects with the DA12-24 and some Lee filters

Thank you for your helpfulness!
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.