Looking for a New 50mm lens...


stub

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 19:18
After breaking the filter ring on my FA 50 1.4. Always found it a bit soft. If im honest.
I'm looking to purchase a new 50mm lens, for my K1... But the question is. With such a myriad of 50's available which one do you go for ?

Must be fast and auto focus. The new one is expensive and heavy. To those that have purchased is it really worth 2 to 3 times the price ?

Should I be looking at 43mm Limited ? What' your opinion. Can we discuss ?
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

stu62

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 19:29
well the pentax one is down to about 900 now

stub

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 19:35
stu62 wrote:
well the pentax one is down to about 900 now

Main. well only reason I'm considering it really....!
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Last Edited by stub on 24/11/2018 - 19:36

HarisF1

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 19:36
Have a look at the DA*55 if you want modern optics and coatings. It's stellar on the K-1 just as long as you don't use the hood.

If you're after the more traditional ones then the F/FA 50/1.7 are excellent, and sharper than the 1.4 lenses, while the FA43 is in a different class due to its excellent colour rendering.
Last Edited by HarisF1 on 24/11/2018 - 19:36

stub

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 20:07
HarisF1 wrote:
Have a look at the DA*55 if you want modern optics and coatings. It's stellar on the K-1 just as long as you don't use the hood.

If you're after the more traditional ones then the F/FA 50/1.7 are excellent, and sharper than the 1.4 lenses, while the FA43 is in a different class due to its excellent colour rendering.

Thanks Haris. Is the DA*55 not affected by the fact that it's an APSC lens...? I need it for a K1 ? What's the issue with the hood please ? At present im just really looking to replace my existing 50mm as I consider therepair cost, better put to a new one... Need a fast lens as I shoot a lot of low light gig photography.. And often f2.8 isnt fast enough..
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Last Edited by stub on 24/11/2018 - 20:08

HarisF1

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 21:12
There are loads of reviews showing how good the DA*55 is on the K-1. It shows very little vignetting when unhooded, and putting the hood on adds slightly darker corners. The IQ is fabulous though.

I've ordered the fat fifty so I'm eager to compare the two. If I can get some test shots sorted I'll put them on here, along with some other interesting 50s.

Helpful

JAK

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 22:02
I notice Am azon have taken a whole 99p off the list price of the new 50. Wow! In fact they've put it up from around 1060 last week. So much for special BF deals.
PS If readers aren't aware SRS's deal is marginally better by around 300 !
John K

HarisF1

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 22:26
JAK wrote:
I notice Am azon have taken a whole 99p off the list price of the new 50. Wow! In fact they've put it up from around 1060 last week. So much for special BF deals.
PS If readers aren't aware SRS's deal is marginally better by around 300 !

SRS hit Am@zon out of the park this time around. Absolutely no contest, with Am@zon's likely sales coming from the mispricing on the Pentax bodies.
Last Edited by HarisF1 on 24/11/2018 - 22:27

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 22:29
If you didn't need AF the Samyang 50mm f1.4 is excellent value at the current offer price of 230 at SRS.
Apparently it's quite easy to focus manually with.

HarisF1

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 22:55
And also one on the forums for a pretty good price.

Kim C

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 23:00
1stEverPentax wrote:
If you didn't need AF the Samyang 50mm f1.4 is excellent value at the current offer price of 230 at SRS.
Apparently it's quite easy to focus manually with.

So is the Pentax A 1.4, just as good and around half the price.

stub

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 23:01
Need the AF... To counter my dodgy eyesight !!
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

Kim C

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 23:03
stub wrote:
Need the AF... To counter my dodgy eyesight !!

I hate to say it because I had my eye on it. But the is a 50/1.7 F in the classifieds at the moment for a good price.

johnriley

Link Posted 24/11/2018 - 23:56
There's no doubt in my mind that the new 50mm f/1.4 may be expensive, but it's worth it, delivering a whole new level of performance. Looking at it another way, it's almost as good as the Zeiss Otus and a third of the price.

If it can't be afforded, then the 43mm f/1.9 is another classy lens that has a certain "something" in its rendition.
Best regards, John

stub

Link Posted 25/11/2018 - 00:08
I tend to agree with you John... Looking at a few reviews. It seems to be what a lot of the others arnt and thats sharp across the image wide open.. Which will be important to me, when gigging... I just fear. Its just a big heavy clumbsy lens... !!
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.