Pentax at Jessops Again

Almac

Link Posted 29/11/2010 - 10:40
Fuzzfeast, fortunatly my lens was fine, the box was sealed and everything looks brand new. But certainly worth being aware of these things from what are supposed to be reputable retailer.

ISO

Link Posted 29/11/2010 - 10:52
Fuzzfeast wrote:
Almac wrote:
I've noticed that PC World are selling some Pentax stuff as well. I got a DFA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens from their website for Ģ249, nearly half the price of some other retailers.

What condition was it in? I ordered the same from Currys who are part of the same group as PC World and Dixons. I tracked the parcel which went from Lincoln to my local DHL in less than 12 hrs, then it was held there going nowhere for five days until I went and collected it myself. When I got home I had a pretty nasty surprise. I unpacked the parcel to find a tatty box with a printed red label on it that read "box for display item" and another label stating "returned." The lens itself was marked, looked far from brand new and had no lens cap. I returned it via my nearest Currys for a refund and won't buy from them again.

If you had been reading the 'infamous' Currys Thread 6 weeks ago you would have seen similar comments. I don't know where they get their stock from - are they the Pentax Returns Depot in the Sky

jules

Link Posted 29/11/2010 - 22:49
May be heading the Curry's/Comet route in a week or so but I think If I can stump up a little more I may just skip, there's been a few of these stories circulating recently and I guess they may be down to the bottom of the 100mm macro Barrel?
Any more positive experiences out there?
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Last Edited by jules on 29/11/2010 - 22:50

El Dingo

Link Posted 01/12/2010 - 13:17
jules wrote:
May be heading the Curry's/Comet route in a week or so but I think If I can stump up a little more I may just skip, there's been a few of these stories circulating recently and I guess they may be down to the bottom of the 100mm macro Barrel?
Any more positive experiences out there?

Yes, received mine brand new unopened box, about a month ago. I was a bit surprised that they only packed it in a 'mail lite' envelope, but luckily there was very little damage to the box.

In short, product perfect, box lightly damaged, packing awful.
El Dingo - K3-II and K10D

SteveA

Link Posted 01/12/2010 - 20:23
I wish I had known about Jessops - on our way to the British Museum last weekend we came across a Jacobs & a Jessops opposite each other - didn't bother with Jessops but Jacobs did not have much Pentax either!
As an aside the wife insisted I did not take the DSLR with me so I only had the little old FUJI in my pocket, only to discover that the British Museum is the one with the 'new' attrium & you can take photos in side (i pressume no flash).
Hopefully I could have done a little more with the K-M:
link

boeforce

Link Posted 01/12/2010 - 20:57
SteveA wrote:
I wish I had known about Jessops - on our way to the British Museum last weekend we came across a Jacobs & a Jessops opposite each other - didn't bother with Jessops but Jacobs did not have much Pentax either!
As an aside the wife insisted I did not take the DSLR with me so I only had the little old FUJI in my pocket, only to discover that the British Museum is the one with the 'new' attrium & you can take photos in side (i pressume no flash).
Hopefully I could have done a little more with the K-M:
link

Jacobs has much more pentax items. All pentax dlsr cameras and some pentax lenses.
Regards,

Liang

helios

Link Posted 01/12/2010 - 21:18
Yes the Jacobs internet site has lots of Pentax stuff. I got my K-5 on pre-order from them for Ģ999 before they put the price up.
Archie

Hardgravity

Link Posted 02/12/2010 - 08:26
sthorogood wrote:
I work at Jessops, and am not aware of Pentax being back on the books! I'd be pleased to hear that they are, mind - I recently bought my K-5 from another dealer...........

It's a shame the money mongers ruined Jessops, they were a good shop, once.

Dixons group currently list the K-x twin lens kit for Ģ399.99.

That's a bargain in any brand! CLICKY LINK
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

rparmar

Link Posted 03/12/2010 - 03:19
The amazing thing is that Curry's/Dixons have the same offer in Ireland. And they never even carried Pentax before!
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

viewfinder

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 10:48
A few weeks back I was in the Shrewsbury Jessops on a Sunday morning, to have a play with the Sony NEX,...I found all the cameras on display, about 18 different models, all powered up and easily held and examined. While amusing myself with them, I was listening to the man I assumed to be the manager trying very patiently to explain what an aperture is to a young woman assitant......

.......Actually, I was impressed! Last week I visited (briefly) the Romford branch and could not believe it was part of the same company!
Last Edited by viewfinder on 08/12/2010 - 10:51

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 15:51
The problem is that this is a company that employs sales assistants who donīt know what an aperture is.

I would go to Jessops for a look, or for a bargain, but not for advice.

Iīd say thatīs a fair assessment of itīs place in UK photography retailers.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

viewfinder

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 17:03
It did cross my mind at the time that I was'nt overhearing staff training as he was being too painstaking and kind in his approach.....

The problem that Jessopps have is similar to that of Halfords,.....if you pay peanuts you get monkeys! And, I wonder what percentage of the strolling public actually knows what an aperture is.......and would Jessopps recognise such knowledge anyway??

cabstar

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 22:26
the same with any store, customer service & sales skills most important then product knowledge.

product knowledge can be taught in a week or two.

i think most photographers give jessops a wide berth, have had some great dealings with jacobs though.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

MrCynical

Link Posted 10/12/2010 - 00:11
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I would go to Jessops for a look, or for a bargain, but not for advice.

Iīd say thatīs a fair assessment of itīs place in UK photography retailers.

In other words, ward them off with repeated pokes of a long bargepole unless they've mistakenly got Pentax kit at a silly price?

T140

Link Posted 10/12/2010 - 12:19
I went to jessops when i was looking for my K20, they had a K200 in stock but would'nt get me a K20 to look at unless i placed an order, got it online without actually handling one
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.