Pentax and Students

johnriley
Posted 15/11/2009 - 17:24 Link
It will be an education for them that's for sure.

And it would be a shame to miss the magic of seeing a black and white image appear on a piece of photographic paper for the very first time.
Best regards, John
dougf8
Posted 15/11/2009 - 17:44 Link
I finished an A level last academic year(adult ed part time). The first year I used z-1 as I couldn't afford DSLR. The other students were also using film. 2nd year the tutor (mid 20's) didn't have a DSLR he was a medium format film nut and took every chance to encourage film development. I know of a tutor at another college who insists the students do film. They (she) get excellent results every year.

Film is/was alive and well last academic year round here.

Doug
Lurking is shirking.!
aminstar
Posted 15/11/2009 - 17:57 Link
Mike-P wrote:
aminstar wrote:

Having said that I still am a Pentaxian at heart and I have got the goods to prove it
Keep telling yourself that while using your Canon 7D Amin
At least I have come out in the open , but do insist that I am a pentaxian at heart

Know some that are accumulating glass for Canikons and keep quiet about it, others who surreptitiously slide under the Canikon skin and smoothly make the disappearing act etc.

By the way, has anyone seen Loskeran? , Haven't seen him for a while around here. He was quite an active member here and had a lot to share with his experience in the field
Edited by aminstar: 15/11/2009 - 17:59
Hardgravity
Posted 15/11/2009 - 17:58 Link
As far as I'm aware, the photography course that runs at Bradford Uni is a FULL course. Starting with film in the first year and moving on in subsequent years.

That's why the manual capable cameras are so popular.

Watch E-bay at the start of the university year and see how many MES, K1000 and MX cameras go at higher than normal prices. They're the tool to have it seems.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Mike-P
Posted 15/11/2009 - 18:10 Link
aminstar wrote:


By the way, has anyone seen Loskeran? , Haven't seen him for a while around here. He was quite an active member here and had a lot to share with his experience in the field
I think he was a Pentaxian (at heart) who kept telling himself he was a true believer but in the end fell into that dark humourless place known as a Canon forum.
Edited by Mike-P: 15/11/2009 - 18:11
womble
Posted 15/11/2009 - 18:21 Link
The Institute's photo lab was solidly Pentax when it was all film (apart from medium and large format stuff where it was more varied) but has moved largely over to Canon in the digital era. We teach our students both film and digital photography.

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
aminstar
Posted 15/11/2009 - 18:25 Link
johnriley wrote:
It will be an education for them that's for sure.

And it would be a shame to miss the magic of seeing a black and white image appear on a piece of photographic paper for the very first time.
I know precisely what you mean John. It took a few heated debates here but then soon I decided to think like I was holding a film camera in my hands instead of a DSLR suddenly things started fall into place. I now put more thought before pulling the trigger (oops, shutter release ) and also I mostly shoot on M.

Shame only about the fact that this didn't compensate for the lack of speed in AF
cabstar
Posted 17/11/2009 - 23:51 Link
When I did A level photography a couple of years ago there was a large chunk of teh course taken up with film processing.

Our local college has now become a Nikon academy, which means Nikon have supplied all hardware & there is now a huge Nikon logo at the front of the media centre.

On the donside the college now no longer does the following courses

A level
HNC
HND
Or any part time evening classes!!!!

Whether that has anything to do with Nikon I don't know...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
gartmore
Posted 18/11/2009 - 08:19 Link
I was asked to teach evening classes in basic photographic techniques at an FE college. About a dozen students turned up not realising this was a film course. None stayed since they all had digital cameras and not one had a film camera. The college teaches HNC and HND, these require the use of film (view cameras no less!) because no one in academia has rewritten the curricula.

At the other end of the scale, a friend who is one of the finest B+W printers in the country (Paris Match, Italian Vogue, American Vogue amongst his clients) no longer has any commercial work because the world is now a digital place.

Film will be used by enthusiasts. I frankly dont get the arguments about film teaching the basics of photography. Technically these boil down to sensitivity, aperture, shutter speed and giving proper consideration to what you see in the viewfinder; you can switch a dslr to manual.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Edited by gartmore: 18/11/2009 - 08:21
K10D
Posted 18/11/2009 - 12:10 Link
Just for info. Every Nikon lens since 1977 the (AI) will work with all Nikon bodies with screw drive. Only the F3AF lenses will not as they were made for the F3AF body. Of course the motor only lenses of late are for the entry level Nikons but also work with the top models.

We are not alone on this one.

Regards
Too far from a shore.
Edited by K10D: 18/11/2009 - 12:13
Bill_And
Posted 23/11/2009 - 21:41 Link
well scuffster

Its not what you've got, it's how you use it!

Its you who thinks about the composition, and the settings on the camera so it doesnt really matter what make or type of camera you have but you have to be aware of each cameras limitations.

Ive happily used Pentax for nearly 30 years - but used other cameras through my jobs (Nikon, Fuji up to Mamiya RZ).

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo