pentax af240z flash unit

johntd

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 11:38
I would like to know if the flash unit pentax af240z will work okay on my K100D
J Dunkley

gartmore

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 11:54
As far as I am aware there isn't an AF240z, do you mean the AF240ft?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

johntd

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 12:02
it is a AF240Z
J Dunkley

JohnX

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 12:30
Take a look here.

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/pentax-af240z-on-k20d-15189

Not a K100D question, but perhaps the answer's in the post somewhere?

gartmore

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 13:45
I've found it online. It will work after a fashion but only on manual (full power) or Auto with a fixed aperture of f4, it is 25 years old after all; of old flashes of that size, an AF280t might be a better choice and quite plentiful on eBay.

Your camera uses P-TTL which older flasguns don't have, you can use the one I suggest on manual (two output levels) and auto at f4 or f8.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Dangermouse

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 14:08
Assuming the K100D is like my K-m then yes it will, I've done so on many occasions.

You will be able to use all the modes of the AF240Z as it uses the older Program Flash protocol which is supported by Pentax DSLRs. Simply select "P" on the camera and flash, when the flash is charged the camera will automatically select the correct shutter speed and aperture depending on what ISO you select (you can see what it will use by reading the back of the flash). You also have Manual and Auto modes for greater control. Given you can often find them for £10-£20 I'd say they're well worth buying.

The AF280T is more flexible but also a lot more expensive. If you set that to either of the Auto modes and put the camera in "P" it will function like the AF240Z in "P".
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

johntd

Link Posted 28/02/2011 - 17:33
many thanks for all your comments.
J Dunkley

Patty

Link Posted 26/01/2021 - 12:31
Old thread I know but having noticed my 240Z in my bag and forgetting how to use it on my K5 I have just used this info here to refresh memory on the operation. The gun has just been sitting in the bag with lithium batteries in it and they have proved to have held power nicely. As above, I fitted it on K5 with P setting on the dial. With the P setting I had full automatic shutter and aperture settings which varied according to the lens zoom position. I just had to set the tilt and flash Zoom head position and was able to get some decent results just messing about in my living room. even taking pictures into a display case square on to the glass door with no flash reflecting back with flash set straight up.

Camera has a Sigma 18-250 lens on it. This lens hadn't been used for 4 years as the zoom was seized solid when I went on a trip to Belgium. Yesterday I decided to get the screwdriver out and stripped the lens down pretty much down the bones. Zoom function fault was due to a couple of loose screws. There are lots in there and all very small. Got it back together with full functions. Really a matter of taking my time and wearing 2 pair of glasses.

For the very little use I am making now with the camera it was refreshing to play for a bit. 8 years ago I was using camera quite a lot after having a KX previously to the K5. But like others, I presume, hobbies change. I went back to motorcycling and have been putting in about 10000 miles a year with even 3 trips to Belgium and twice to the IOM TT races. Really must go for a walk with the camera in hand without a lens cap as I always found that those instant pictures are missed in just the time to take off cap.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.