pentax af240z flash unit

johntd

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 11:38
I would like to know if the flash unit pentax af240z will work okay on my K100D
J Dunkley

gartmore

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 11:54
As far as I am aware there isn't an AF240z, do you mean the AF240ft?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

johntd

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 12:02
it is a AF240Z
J Dunkley

JohnX

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 12:30
Take a look here.

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/pentax-af240z-on-k20d-15189

Not a K100D question, but perhaps the answer's in the post somewhere?

gartmore

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 13:45
I've found it online. It will work after a fashion but only on manual (full power) or Auto with a fixed aperture of f4, it is 25 years old after all; of old flashes of that size, an AF280t might be a better choice and quite plentiful on eBay.

Your camera uses P-TTL which older flasguns don't have, you can use the one I suggest on manual (two output levels) and auto at f4 or f8.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Dangermouse

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 14:08
Assuming the K100D is like my K-m then yes it will, I've done so on many occasions.

You will be able to use all the modes of the AF240Z as it uses the older Program Flash protocol which is supported by Pentax DSLRs. Simply select "P" on the camera and flash, when the flash is charged the camera will automatically select the correct shutter speed and aperture depending on what ISO you select (you can see what it will use by reading the back of the flash). You also have Manual and Auto modes for greater control. Given you can often find them for £10-£20 I'd say they're well worth buying.

The AF280T is more flexible but also a lot more expensive. If you set that to either of the Auto modes and put the camera in "P" it will function like the AF240Z in "P".
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

johntd

Link Posted 28/02/2011 - 17:33
many thanks for all your comments.
J Dunkley
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.