Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax 67ii metering, exposure, MLU

bjolester
Posted 28/03/2012 - 12:57 Link
I have yet another 67ii question. Yesterday I had my first two 120 films processed and scanned. Some of my photos were overexposed, whilst others were very good in terms of exposure.

I used aperture priority mode, 400ASA film and shot hand held, using MLU for most of my shots. I guess I might have moved the camera in the timespan between locking up the mirror and pressing the release button. Does the metering in aperture priority mode function after the mirror has been locked-up?

The 67ii manual does not have any information about my question, so am grateful for any advice on this matter!

Bjørn
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
johnriley
Posted 28/03/2012 - 13:40 - Helpful Comment Link
The 67 has the metering in the prism head, so when you lock up the mirror light can no longer reach the meter cells. Locking up the mirror whilst hand holding seems a very difficult way of using the camera though. Why not just use it as intended and go from there?

Mirror Up is intended for when the camera is firmly fixed on a tripod.
Best regards, John
bjolester
Posted 28/03/2012 - 15:35 Link
johnriley wrote:
The 67 has the metering in the prism head, so when you lock up the mirror light can no longer reach the meter cells. Locking up the mirror whilst hand holding seems a very difficult way of using the camera though. Why not just use it as intended and go from there?

Mirror Up is intended for when the camera is firmly fixed on a tripod.

Thank you very much for once again sharing from your vast experience with (Pentax) photography!

I am a novice with using the 67ii, so the problem is that I do not really know how to "use it as intended" - yet
But I am a fast learner - MLU only with a firmly fixed tripod
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
Edited by bjolester: 28/03/2012 - 15:36
hoshisato
Posted 07/09/2012 - 21:41 Link
I have a Pentax 67II myself and, as a force of habit, pressed the mirror up button myself when shooting handheld and I would have expected the focus to be off a bit possibly, but not problems with exposure unless you use it in a environment where the light changes dramatically in the time it took between flipping the mirror up and pressing the shutter button or you really have moved the camera around in that short time span.
As John said, the Mirror Up is intended for use on tripod and once the mirror is up, the exposure is fixed.

Do you still have the problem with getting the exposure right?
Cameras: Pentax 67II / 645NII / K20D / MZ-S / MZ-3 / ME
Gallery: Hans ter Horst Photography
bjolester
Posted 08/09/2012 - 11:14 Link
I had problems with my first two films, because I used MLU when hand holding the 67II. Since then I have used MLU only in combination with a tripod, and the exposures are now spot on. I have mostly used the 67II hand held with the SMC 45mm and Kodak Porta 400 film, and this combination gives good results. The Pentax 67II is a wonderful beast

Bjørn
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.