Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax 645Z

johnriley
Posted 15/04/2014 - 07:51 Link
It's very impressive and offers 35mm-style response and facilities to medium format users. The lenses are outstanding and very affordable as well.

As for format, it's full frame on steroids....don't forget the 645, 6x6cm and 6x7 formats are all nominal sizes and always have been. It's quite normal, for example, for film 6x6cm to have an actual size of 56x56mm.

I would love to have and use a 645Z, but alas for what I do that actually earns money I couldn't justify it. For those who can, it's an exciting prospect.
Best regards, John
Pentaxophile
Posted 15/04/2014 - 07:52 Link
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
K10D
Posted 15/04/2014 - 12:05 Link
K10D wrote:
and it's as cheap as chips!

link

Best regards

Just seen the UK price in AP. Equivalent to $11,370.00

Well at least you'll get better support for the extra $2,870.00 whilst others get a lens or two. Maybe the UK model is higher spec?

As for a D800E:
"Is there a big difference in price between a Nikon D800E + a high quality Nikon lens and the Pentax 645Z + standard lens?"

D800E GBP2,340 + any top lens at GBP1,500 costs GBP3,840.00 as against the UK price of GBP7,700.00 for the 645Z+55mm, so its only double the price.

That's a tough call.....

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
bjolester
Posted 15/04/2014 - 12:44 Link
K10D wrote:
K10D wrote:
and it's as cheap as chips!

link

Best regards

Just seen the UK price in AP. Equivalent to $11,370.00

Well at least you'll get better support for the extra $2,870.00 whilst others get a lens or two. Maybe the UK model is higher spec?

As for a D800E:
"Is there a big difference in price between a Nikon D800E + a high quality Nikon lens and the Pentax 645Z + standard lens?"

D800E GBP2,340 + any top lens at GBP1,500 costs GBP3,840.00 as against the UK price of GBP7,700.00 for the 645Z+55mm, so its only double the price.

That's a tough call.....

Best regards

I agree. Maybe it makes more sense to compare the "old version" 645D with Nikon "fullframe". Here in Norway the Pentax 645D is now selling at a reduced price:

Pentax 645D: GBP 4.200
645 SMC-D FA 55MM/2.8: GBP 1.100

vs

Nikon D3x: GBP 4.200

Nikon D800E: GBP 2.350

Nikon 24-70mm f2.8: GBP 1.350

Probably will the new 645Z come down a bit in price after some time, making it an even better purchase. In any event, interesting times for Pentax.

Regards
Bjørn
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
Edited by bjolester: 15/04/2014 - 12:51
Smeggypants
Posted 15/04/2014 - 17:12 Link
tyronet2000 wrote:
Can't afford one and to be honest would it improve the skill and talent of the person looking through the viewfinder. A rubbish image remains just that regardless of the equipment.

Might as well stick with a mobile phone cam under that logic
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
johnriley
Posted 15/04/2014 - 18:03 Link
Calumet are offering the 645Z, so this is firmly in the professional equipment camp. That's no bad thing and it should take that segment of the market by storm.
Best regards, John
tyronet2000
Posted 15/04/2014 - 18:39 Link
Smeggypants wrote:

What's wrong with a burnt stick and cave wall, yes, I know, mono
Regards
Stan

PPG
Smeggypants
Posted 15/04/2014 - 21:09 Link
tyronet2000 wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:

What's wrong with a burnt stick and cave wall, yes, I know, mono

hehe
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
ronniemac
Posted 15/04/2014 - 22:16 Link
bjolester wrote:

Pentax are about to pioneer a "democratization" of digital medium format. Hasselblad and Phase One have not been within range of ordinary hobby/enthusiast photographers, being extremely expensive, the Pentax 645Z could possibly change all of this.

I hope the Pentax 645Z excels in the coming reviews and tests, it seems like a brilliant camera.

I do agree Bjørn, even if the Zed is beyond my means it is so much more affordable than all other medium format cameras. Maybe it will be a game changer for Pentax, especially if in a couple of years they drop the price a tad.

Perhaps we will now see other manufacturers offering cameras with this sensor, but let's remember that in 2014 Ricoh/Pentax with their digital 645D and Z offered MF digital at £4249 and £6799, maybe less by the end of the year. It's a lot of dosh, but a fraction of the price from Phasebald alternatives.

Clearly Ricoh/Pentax, by making the most of the R & D that went into the K-3, are able to keep the cost of the 645Z significantly lower yet the camera still offers so much more.

What I do find intriguing are the sniping and negative comments that are appearing on other forums, e.g. DPreview (who gave it a nice preview). The camera is unsettling quite a lot of photographers with loyalty to other brands; proof that it might well be something special.

I guess it's self evident that I am very excited by the release of this camera. Maybe some day...............

Well done you Pentax engineers, you have done yourselves proud!
Smeggypants
Posted 15/04/2014 - 23:43 Link
ronniemac wrote:
bjolester wrote:

Pentax are about to pioneer a "democratization" of digital medium format. Hasselblad and Phase One have not been within range of ordinary hobby/enthusiast photographers, being extremely expensive, the Pentax 645Z could possibly change all of this.

I hope the Pentax 645Z excels in the coming reviews and tests, it seems like a brilliant camera.

I do agree Bjørn, even if the Zed is beyond my means it is so much more affordable than all other medium format cameras. Maybe it will be a game changer for Pentax, especially if in a couple of years they drop the price a tad.

Perhaps we will now see other manufacturers offering cameras with this sensor, but let's remember that in 2014 Ricoh/Pentax with their digital 645D and Z offered MF digital at £4249 and £6799, maybe less by the end of the year. It's a lot of dosh, but a fraction of the price from Phasebald alternatives.

Clearly Ricoh/Pentax, by making the most of the R & D that went into the K-3, are able to keep the cost of the 645Z significantly lower yet the camera still offers so much more.

What I do find intriguing are the sniping and negative comments that are appearing on other forums, e.g. DPreview (who gave it a nice preview). The camera is unsettling quite a lot of photographers with loyalty to other brands; proof that it might well be something special.

I guess it's self evident that I am very excited by the release of this camera. Maybe some day...............

Well done you Pentax engineers, you have done yourselves proud!

I despair at the mentality of some of the comments on many DPreview articles to be honest
bjolester
Posted 15/04/2014 - 23:52 Link
Ronnie: The 645D and 645Z will probably remain unobtainable for me, I do not have that kind of cash to spend on camera equipment. But I am very excited that Pentax show a commitment towards medium format. In the "good old" film days, Pentax was a major player in this field. The Pentax film 645 and 67 systems were among the very best systems for professional (studio, model, landscape, etc) phototographers.

Digital medium format has, from what I have read, never caught on, and gained the position medium format had in the pre-digital era. This is probably due to the extremely high price level of PhaseOne and Hasselblad digital medium format backs and cameras. The image quality of these systems, on the other hand, are second to none. Tim Parkin has publised a comparison between various film and digital systems, showing how brilliant the top of the line PhaseOne digital backs are. Even drumscanned large format (5x4) is in many ways beat by the PhaseOne backs used in Parkins' comparison when it comes to resolution and image quality.

Pentax, with the 645D and 645Z, could possibly change the status of digital medium format, by being "affordable" and being priced similarly to the top FF Canikon models. I hope this turns out to be a winner for Pentax!

Regards
Bjørn
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
Edited by bjolester: 15/04/2014 - 23:55
johnha
Posted 16/04/2014 - 01:14 Link
I get it that this is an important camera and it shows Ricoh's investment in Pentax, but it's not really surprising. The 'web' seems to be gushing about taking state of the art features from the K-3 and putting them in a weather sealed 50+MP medium format body that's compatible with a huge range of existing glass at a comparatively affordable price, as though it's a huge surprise!

Pentax have been doing this with the various 645 models for decades, it's pleasing to see this continue - but not really surprising, surely?
bjolester
Posted 16/04/2014 - 09:00 Link
johnha wrote:
I get it that this is an important camera and it shows Ricoh's investment in Pentax, but it's not really surprising. The 'web' seems to be gushing about taking state of the art features from the K-3 and putting them in a weather sealed 50+MP medium format body that's compatible with a huge range of existing glass at a comparatively affordable price, as though it's a huge surprise!

Pentax have been doing this with the various 645 models for decades, it's pleasing to see this continue - but not really surprising, surely?

I see your point. I myself have been following with great interest Ricoh/Pentax after the takeover from Hoya. The future of the top end Pentax 645D system has been quite uncertain, one has not known for sure whether Ricoh would continue developing Pentax digital medium format or not. Surprisingly for many people, I am sure, Ricoh show dedication for this product line. Another element that I find suprising is that Pentax have managed to utilize the latest and largest Sony sensor, and fit it into a very attractive camera body together with technology from the K-3, and selling it for about a third of the price of the competition (Hasselblad/PhaseOne). I am surprised and excited by the way Pentax is moving foreward, the company/brand seems to have a completely different momentum then before the Ricoh takeover.

Regards
Bjørn
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
Edited by bjolester: 16/04/2014 - 09:01
LennyBloke
Posted 16/04/2014 - 09:38 Link
There have of course been comments relating to the 645 Digital cameras being out of the reach of most of us, but the market is changing and will continue to change. The launch of the "Zed" with a higher spec is no surprise, technology moves on, the price has surprised many but can only serve to reduce MF Digital pricing overall - I suspect HassleBleed and others may choose to "re-align" their pricing soon

The "Dee" will continue to be sold at the new lower price until stocks run out and second hand prices are likely to drop to keep a price differential between "New" and "Used" (20 to 30 per cent less maybe?).

It's quite reminiscent of MF film camera pricing - I can remember thinking I'd never be able to afford a Pentax 645, but after the 'N' arrived and then the 'NII' the prices of the previous models dropped again and again - this will happen with the MFD's too

The thing I can't quite get to grips with yet is the difference in quality between an MF-D and an FF-D (i.e. the 645D v D800E) - I don't think it's quite the same as comparing 645 against 35mm in the film era - to me there was a clear difference in the quality of results produced. I'm not comparing other features that will keep improving as technology marches on (Higher ISO's, better AF, better metering, etc.) but the basic image quality produced
LennyBloke
ronniemac
Posted 16/04/2014 - 10:06 Link
johnha wrote:

I agree, John, it is not surprising and indeed I wasn't surprised any more than you. The point I was reinforcing was Bjørn's comment about the democratisation of medium format. I recall when the 645D was released (yes, picking up on many aspects of K-7 R & D - no surprise there either), it was priced at £10,000. Four years later Pentax release an updated 645 and do so at a significantly lower price (£6799) while at the same time reducing the price of of their original digital 645 to £4249. In fact, these prices are a pleasant surprise to me at least.

Lenny, you do make an good point about the minor difference in image quality between MF and FF (D800E and 645D). It will be interesting to see a good image comparison between Dee and Zed, (A challenge for anyone who will be owning both ) initial sample images are stunning in the detail, even if they reveal too much in this particular instance.

Looking forward to future price drops in digital Pentax 645s.
Edited by ronniemac: 16/04/2014 - 10:09

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.