Pentax 200mm, Sigma 180mm tests
Posted 24/05/2010 - 08:00
Link
Thanks guys, I wouldn't say the Pentax walks it either, I like the Pentax wide open, bokeh is better IMO, and the bee shots are amazing handheld, I don't think I would have got them as good with the Sigma.
I agree with John, that the different exposures with the two differnt cameras doesn't help with the comparisons, in reality I should switch the lenses over and re-shoot the test. any ideas on how or what I should shoot to get a definitive result, as I said running these tests is not really my go, so I will take on board any tips you may have.
Cheers.
PS when Mike gets that FA 200mm we can do some more comparisons Mike just make sure you keep enough cash for bus fare home
I agree with John, that the different exposures with the two differnt cameras doesn't help with the comparisons, in reality I should switch the lenses over and re-shoot the test. any ideas on how or what I should shoot to get a definitive result, as I said running these tests is not really my go, so I will take on board any tips you may have.
Cheers.
PS when Mike gets that FA 200mm we can do some more comparisons Mike just make sure you keep enough cash for bus fare home
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 24/05/2010 - 08:48
Link
I think the Sigma is miles better and you should sell me the A* 200
Hyram
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Posted 24/05/2010 - 10:14
Link
Is anyone else surprised at the difference in exposure levels?
Posted 24/05/2010 - 10:16
Link
For me the Pentax has nicer bokeh and colour, and the smaller size would be a lot more appealing.
It's a little hard to tell much at this size but the Sigma looks sharper to me (I feel dirty saying that ).
The magnification seems odd too, the Pentax shots look much longer than the Sigma ones.
It's a little hard to tell much at this size but the Sigma looks sharper to me (I feel dirty saying that ).
The magnification seems odd too, the Pentax shots look much longer than the Sigma ones.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 24/05/2010 - 11:13
Link
Clarky wrote:
I agree with John, that the different exposures with the two differnt cameras doesn't help with the comparisons, in reality I should switch the lenses over and re-shoot the test. any ideas on how or what I should shoot to get a definitive result, as I said running these tests is not really my go, so I will take on board any tips you may have.
This was the last test I did - feel free to copy my methods to your heart's content buddy. I agree with John, that the different exposures with the two differnt cameras doesn't help with the comparisons, in reality I should switch the lenses over and re-shoot the test. any ideas on how or what I should shoot to get a definitive result, as I said running these tests is not really my go, so I will take on board any tips you may have.
From the above I prefer the Pentax, but both of them look much nicer than that horrible Voigtlander you've got - surely it's time you found a new home for that one? I might even take it off you as a favour...
Joining the Q
Posted 24/05/2010 - 11:20
Link
Oggy wrote:
Is anyone else surprised at the difference in exposure levels?
The K20D's on spot metering, the K-7 on matrix, so for the 200mm shots the K20D was metering from the dark seed pod in the centre of the image, hence the lighter shot overall. Is anyone else surprised at the difference in exposure levels?
And the flower shots were shot with and without flash, hence the dark background on the Pentax 200mm shot, and the more even lighting on the Sigma.
So, as far as comparisons go, not exactly the best set Clarky. But probably the most telling line of yours was "...the bee shots are amazing handheld, I don't think I would have got them as good with the Sigma."
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 24/05/2010 - 11:25
Link
Thanks for that Hefty, I don't think I could be as extensive and detailed as you, but some very good info I could use,
Sorry mate, the Voigtlander is staying put, maybe I should do a 3 lens test
Sorry mate, the Voigtlander is staying put, maybe I should do a 3 lens test
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 24/05/2010 - 11:30
Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
And the flower shots were shot with and without flash, hence the dark background on the Pentax 200mm shot, and the more even lighting on the Sigma.
So, as far as comparisons go, not exactly the best set Clarky. But probably the most telling line of yours was "...the bee shots are amazing handheld, I don't think I would have got them as good with the Sigma."
Dan
Hmmm I knew I would cock it up somewhere I went over both cameras to make sure they were the same and missed the metering and the flash on the flowers, I took a few shots with and without flash and must have mixed them up. Oh well back to the drawing board. Thanks Dan.
Oggy wrote:
Is anyone else surprised at the difference in exposure levels?
The K20D's on spot metering, the K-7 on matrix, so for the 200mm shots the K20D was metering from the dark seed pod in the centre of the image, hence the lighter shot overall. Is anyone else surprised at the difference in exposure levels?
And the flower shots were shot with and without flash, hence the dark background on the Pentax 200mm shot, and the more even lighting on the Sigma.
So, as far as comparisons go, not exactly the best set Clarky. But probably the most telling line of yours was "...the bee shots are amazing handheld, I don't think I would have got them as good with the Sigma."
Dan
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 24/05/2010 - 11:57
Link
fatspider wrote:
Why not parcel the lenses up and send them off to Hefty, I'm sure he would jump at the chance to play with them, though looking at his comprehensive tests it may be a while before you get them back
I'd be willing to help out for the good of the forum - you could expect to see the results around about the year 2050...
Why not parcel the lenses up and send them off to Hefty, I'm sure he would jump at the chance to play with them, though looking at his comprehensive tests it may be a while before you get them back
Joining the Q
Posted 24/05/2010 - 12:02
Link
Your too kind hefty I'll tell you what, you come and pick them up and there all yours for as long as you need them.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3125 posts
19 years
Sydney Australia
Basic specs are, the Sigma weighs in at 1200grms with a 72mm filter and the Pentax at 950grms with a 58mm filter,
I was a bit lazy and had the Pentax mounted on the K20 and the Sigma was on the K7, Not sure if this will make a huge difference with the comparisons, but both cameras were setup the same and mounted on tripods side by side.
These are the 2 beasties in question.
[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x261/ClarkyinAus/Lenses180mm200mmmacros.jpg[/IMG]
The Pentax at f6.7, The seed pods were about 4metres away from the camera, uncropped and no PP just resized for the web.
[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x261/ClarkyinAus/Pentax200mmf63.jpg[/IMG]
The Sigma at f6.7
[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x261/ClarkyinAus/Sigma180mmf67.jpg[/IMG]
The Pentax wide open at f4
[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x261/ClarkyinAus/Pentax200mmf4.jpg[/IMG]
The Sigma wide open at f3.5
[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x261/ClarkyinAus/Sigma180mmf4.jpg[/IMG]
A flower with the Pentax about 500mm away
[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x261/ClarkyinAus/Flower200mm-1.jpg[/IMG]
Same flower with the Sigma about 500mm away
[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x261/ClarkyinAus/Flower180mm.jpg[/IMG]
A couple of random shots handheld with the Pentax
[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x261/ClarkyinAus/Bee200mm.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x261/ClarkyinAus/Bee200mm2.jpg[/IMG]
Overall not a great difference between the 2, I like the colours from the Pentax, I am probably not the best judge for these kind of tests, so what do you all think. :
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|