Pentax 14mm f2.8 DA

k10dlimited
Posted 05/09/2008 - 21:11 Link
Hi all,

I am currently looking at getting one of these prime lenses for ultra-wide landscape work.
I currently use a 21mm, 40mm limited and the 10-17 fisheye, and really enjoy and rate these lenses.

Have any of you got the 14mm f2.8 and can recommend it, or would you consider the 12-24mm f4 or even the 16-45 f4 which has a 16mm wide end.

I must admit, I do like the primes on the Pentax.

Any thoughts on this 14mm lens.


Regards
Graham
K10d Grand Prix & Grip
10-17mm fisheye, 15mm Limited, 21mm Limited, 40mm Pancake Limited, 70mm Limited
George Lazarette
Posted 05/09/2008 - 21:52 Link
Many people reckon that the differences between the 14 and the 12-24 in terms of quality are very small, and therefore they prefer the latter for the flexibility.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Malo1961
Posted 05/09/2008 - 22:17 Link
I was planning of buying the DA 14 mm, but than I heard the rumors of a 15 mm Limited being in the pipeline, together wit the DA*55. So I wait a bit longer.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.


Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
Reuben0
Posted 05/09/2008 - 23:13 Link
The DA14 focusses a lot closer than the 12-24, which is useful for some ultra-wide perspectives.

This is going to sound a bit odd, but I find I don't use my DA14 that much these days because it's a very wide lens physically with the lens hood on and I have trouble fitting it in my bag

Instead, I tend to use the wide end of the 16-50 or the venerable Zenitar.

R
kerrowdown
Posted 05/09/2008 - 23:59 Link
I think I could make it fit in mine, if you like
"Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake

My current Harem comprising: "Mistress" Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, "Good Lady" Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, "Friendly Lady" Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, "Street Lady" Pentax-A 28mm F2.8, "Bohemian Lady" Pentax-A 35mm F2.0, "Retro Lady" SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, "Special Lady" Pentax-A 50mm F1.2, "Femme Fatale" Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro, "Sweetheart" Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4, "Lady Luck" Pentax* 135mm F1.8, "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED, "Duchess" Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0, "Lady Gaga & Entourage" Pentax-A* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF], "The Queen" Pentax 500mm F4.5
hefty1
Posted 06/09/2008 - 00:45 Link
Actually I've said on here several times that as much as I like my DA12-24 it does take up a lot of space in the camera bag due to its porky dimensions, this has meant on several occassions it's been left at home in favour of the lighter, smaller (albeit not as wide) DA18-55.

I can't fault the quality of the 12-24 though and it'll focus close enough for pretty much anything I've ever wanted to do with it, nor have I ever felt I was missing out by not having the extra stop of speed that the DA14 offers. The difference in the field of view between 12mm and 24mm is also significant, making the 12-24 quite a versatile lens when it comes to framing your subject. Of course, you already have the DA21 so this may not be a big deal to you.

Whichever you buy I can't see that you can really go far wrong to be honest!
Joining the Q
Posted 06/09/2008 - 14:38 Link
someone called up the shop today actually asking the same question,

I would definatly go for the 14mm. Its faster at 2.8 and has no vignetting problems at all. A great lens and was even better when we had them in A Grade too!
George Lazarette
Posted 06/09/2008 - 14:53 Link
A grade?

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Daniel Bridge
Posted 06/09/2008 - 15:21 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
A grade?
Refurbished (I think).

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
George Lazarette
Posted 06/09/2008 - 19:53 Link
Ah! Thank you.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 07/09/2008 - 19:24 Link
yes sorry, A grade is a term related to Refurbished Stock
gartmore
Posted 07/09/2008 - 19:36 Link
Bloody hell, I thought we'd all been buying sub a grade or something!
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 07/09/2008 - 20:08 Link
haha no, its all "A" Grade, so no need to fear

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo