Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

PENTAX FF ?

ttk
Posted 14/10/2008 - 12:18 Link
In this weeks AP Mag dated the 18th Oct, in the new Informer part of the mag, page 3.
PENTAX in format dilemma.....
Pentax admits it must decide on whether to produce a digital medium-format camera or a Full Frame DSLR, reading through they (Pentax) say they have a 40/50-Million sensor for a medium-format camera but need hard figures and big enough demand to commit. They need to act quickly said a Pentax spokesman and we can produce FF DSLR or a M/Format in a short time, and both could be a option in the long term..
The above is bit's of the article as I don't wish to break any copyright's etc.:

I can help them out over this :- FF DSLR PLEASE
Tel,
MattMatic
Posted 14/10/2008 - 12:49 Link
Ditto

Though I can see some of the potential benefits of MF... but I reckon that FF dSLR should be cheaper and should appeal to more users. But whether Pentax would make a better ROI on FF-dSLR vs MF is anyone's guess!

Are Pentax still making MF lenses??
If not, then that pretty much wraps it up
Shouldn't be too hard to resurrect lenses like the SMC-FA 24-90 etc for FF (I still have a little cache of FF lenses )

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
ttk
Posted 14/10/2008 - 13:02 Link
I see your points Matt, It would be nice to see a FF from Pentax It would put them up on the map with the big boys, as you know I have been with Pentax only a short time, and Pentax are under est. by a lot of photographers and I would never go back to Nikon now.
Tel,
womble
Posted 14/10/2008 - 13:52 Link
There are a lot of 67s out there and a digital body that interchanged with all that kit would have a pretty good market niche.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
gartmore
Posted 14/10/2008 - 16:36 Link
womble wrote:
There are a lot of 67s out there and a digital body that interchanged with all that kit would have a pretty good market niche.

Have you seen the new Leica? It has a 70mm lens which would put it closer to 645, I think Pentax would go that way rather than 67 (I hope)
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Tooks
Posted 16/10/2008 - 16:57 Link
I'd like to see a FF personally, but I'd also like to see them bring out a 'faster' AF system/Higher FPS system on the current DSLR's first.

One of the main benefits of a full frame camera I've always thought is the noise performance at high ISO's. Given that some other cameras manage exceptional results on a smaller sensor compared to Pentax though, it would have to be quite a leap to be competitive.

On the other hand, given that FF/MF would be taking them into different markets, maybe MF is the way to go. I know a couple of wedding photographers who are thinking about going to Hasselblads so that, and I quote here, 'Some of the guests won't have a better camera than me!'.

It would differentiate them from other wedding photographers I suppose, and Pentax could almost certainly build a cheaper one than the ones already out there.

Who knows!
Pwynnej
Posted 16/10/2008 - 23:16 Link
MattMatic wrote:
Ditto

Though I can see some of the potential benefits of MF... but I reckon that FF dSLR should be cheaper and should appeal to more users. But whether Pentax would make a better ROI on FF-dSLR vs MF is anyone's guess!

Are Pentax still making MF lenses??
If not, then that pretty much wraps it up
Shouldn't be too hard to resurrect lenses like the SMC-FA 24-90 etc for FF (I still have a little cache of FF lenses )

Matt

I think they are..... it's only the daft EU laws that stop us europeans buying the 645 and 67, they are still available new in Japan.
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon
Mannesty
Posted 16/10/2008 - 23:23 Link
Pwynnej wrote:
..... it's only the daft EU laws that stop us europeans buying the 645 and 67, they are still available new in Japan.

What can you mean . . . daft EU laws?

Are you not worried about lead poisoning should you accidentally swallow a 645 or 67 camera body?
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
fatspider
Posted 16/10/2008 - 23:49 Link
I cant see Pentax making any real headway with a full frame 35mm DSLR, not with a first model at least, the reluctance of the Canikons to accept the superiority of the K10/20D proves that.
IMHO digital medium format may tempt those pros that have switched to full frame Canons back to Pentax.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
johnriley
Posted 17/10/2008 - 00:40 Link
Quote:
Are you not worried about lead poisoning should you accidentally swallow a 645 or 67 camera body?

Happens all the time, when crocodiles swallow Pentax 645 or 67 wielding photographers, sometimes without even chewing. Obviously these poor creatures have to be protected...
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.