PEF and Ubuntu


InFESTation

Link Posted 21/02/2014 - 13:39
Either down to running the firmware update or finger trouble (most likely), I have ended up with a load of PEF RAW files.

Darktable will not import/edit them but I can get them opened in GIMP, what will I be best saving them to? just after the best option for retaining the detail that RAW has captured.

I know I could use GIMP for any of the editing but I am still working on getting my head around Darktable and carrying out PP without confusing matters and trying to learn GIMP as well.

Thanks
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone

gwing

Link Posted 21/02/2014 - 13:52
InFESTation wrote:
Either down to running the firmware update or finger trouble (most likely), I have ended up with a load of PEF RAW files.

Darktable will not import/edit them but I can get them opened in GIMP, what will I be best saving them to? just after the best option for retaining the detail that RAW has captured.

I know I could use GIMP for any of the editing but I am still working on getting my head around Darktable and carrying out PP without confusing matters and trying to learn GIMP as well.

Thanks

Darktable used to be able to import PEFs back in my 1*stD days but I can't guarantee it still does as I switched to DNG format years ago.

The best approach is probably going to be to run Adobe's dngconverter on them to change those PEFs to DNG but if you let me know what camera those PEFs came from and what version of darktable you are using I'll check and see if darktable should be able to read the PEFs directly for you. Or put one somewhere for me and I'll test it.

InFESTation

Link Posted 21/02/2014 - 14:21
Hello gwing, darktable is 1.4.1 and are k3 images.

I will have a look for the dng converter.

The good news it was finger trouble as such, the RAW was set to DNG apart from the user mode I have been playing with, all other RAW have been DNG so looks like it was just with that user setting, I either saved the profile before setting the RAW format or something else but I think it is sorted for that side now.

Will let you know how I get on.
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone

gwing

Link Posted 21/02/2014 - 15:32
Righto, I think it's just a new camera thing. I see that K3 support appeared in the base libraw 0.16 which came out 18th Jan, so you can expect this to appear in darktable (and other open source software) as they update to the newer libraw versions.

Darktable by preference uses 'rawspeed' rather than 'libraw' libraries and I can't see that there is support for K3 PEFs on that yet. If you care to submit a couple of PEFs to the rawspeed project to speed things up they provide an anonymous upload link for that purpose at
https://www.sendthisfile.com/f.jsp?id=Pm0SfqwTVaSfhj9xXrpYeqfs

InFESTation

Link Posted 21/02/2014 - 16:13
gwing wrote:
Righto, I think it's just a new camera thing. I see that K3 support appeared in the base libraw 0.16 which came out 18th Jan, so you can expect this to appear in darktable (and other open source software) as they update to the newer libraw versions.

Darktable by preference uses 'rawspeed' rather than 'libraw' libraries and I can't see that there is support for K3 PEFs on that yet. If you care to submit a couple of PEFs to the rawspeed project to speed things up they provide an anonymous upload link for that purpose at
https://www.sendthisfile.com/f.jsp?id=Pm0SfqwTVaSfhj9xXrpYeqfs

Have submitted a file for the project, managed to get DNG converter, though I think it was part of another software package, so just working through it all now, thankfully there isn't a lot of images, just a few that I was trying out for the new setup, see what adjustments needed.

As a side I definitely confirmed it was down to the user modes the default RAW in the user mode was PEF, have now changed all to DNG, must remember to read all the info when playing with the menus

Thanks again
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone

InFESTation

Link Posted 21/02/2014 - 17:23
Nope looks like the DNG converter needs something else yet, Have found that digiKam can display and organise but no editing of the images either, no worries on it they weren't anything important, just some stuff trying out with new kit.
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone

Prufrock

Link Posted 21/02/2014 - 20:50
Well, I've been using DigiKam and Darktable for some time and have had no problems in either program with PEF files from my K-x and now K-5IIs. DigiKam will edit them, though I prefer Darktable. (Using Ubuntu 12.04.)

Footnote: Darktable is pretty powerful, but I've found it a steep learning curve, I've recently downloaded the Darktable 1.4 user manual - it makes things clearer.
A few pictures on Flickr

InFESTation

Link Posted 21/02/2014 - 22:50
Prufrock wrote:
Well, I've been using DigiKam and Darktable for some time and have had no problems in either program with PEF files from my K-x and now K-5IIs. DigiKam will edit them, though I prefer Darktable. (Using Ubuntu 12.04.)

Footnote: Darktable is pretty powerful, but I've found it a steep learning curve, I've recently downloaded the Darktable 1.4 user manual - it makes things clearer.

Yeah been working through the darktable manual when away, just recently found the more comprehensive version and started that, but when home never really seem to get the time I need, but I do seem to like darktable, some bits still struggle with but slowly getting there.

I assume that they will get there eventually with the PEF for the k3, now I found where I went wrong though not a problem all back to DNG.
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone

gwing

Link Posted 21/02/2014 - 23:22
InFESTation wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Well, I've been using DigiKam and Darktable for some time and have had no problems in either program with PEF files from my K-x and now K-5IIs. DigiKam will edit them, though I prefer Darktable. (Using Ubuntu 12.04.)

Footnote: Darktable is pretty powerful, but I've found it a steep learning curve, I've recently downloaded the Darktable 1.4 user manual - it makes things clearer.

Yeah been working through the darktable manual when away, just recently found the more comprehensive version and started that, but when home never really seem to get the time I need, but I do seem to like darktable, some bits still struggle with but slowly getting there.


For some casual time there's an excellent set of videos Richard Hutton produced - this one here's the 'getting started with darktable one' and well worth a watch.
link
Last Edited by gwing on 21/02/2014 - 23:23

Prufrock

Link Posted 22/02/2014 - 16:14
Thanks for the link to the videos - they look very helpful. I wish I'd had these when I started working on RAW images!

A few pictures on Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.