Paypal fees
Posted 27/03/2009 - 21:11
Link
eBay are not idiots and they don't ONLY do that to get more money, although of course that is part of the reason.
The problem before the rule was that unscrupulous sellers were burrying their surcharges in a load of small print, or not even mentioning them at all until the auction was over. Some were charging extortionate amounts too.
I'm a buyer as well as a seller. When I'm buying, I want the cost and payment procedure to be as clear and straightforward as possible, so I'm grateful for the rule.
Surcharges also reduce the Final Value Fee. It's natural that eBay want a percentage of the true final value rather than only a part of it, especially when the surcharge could be any proportion. This makes it more of an even playing field for sellers as well, as all sellers should pay the same Final Value Fee percentage.
The problem before the rule was that unscrupulous sellers were burrying their surcharges in a load of small print, or not even mentioning them at all until the auction was over. Some were charging extortionate amounts too.
I'm a buyer as well as a seller. When I'm buying, I want the cost and payment procedure to be as clear and straightforward as possible, so I'm grateful for the rule.
Surcharges also reduce the Final Value Fee. It's natural that eBay want a percentage of the true final value rather than only a part of it, especially when the surcharge could be any proportion. This makes it more of an even playing field for sellers as well, as all sellers should pay the same Final Value Fee percentage.
~Pete
Posted 27/03/2009 - 21:53
Link
I never said they were idiots.
I also am a buyer, and I'm put off by very long small print and wacky changes of color font size. I think it is made to distract you.
If the amounts are not declared then you shouldn't be charged. If they are sneakily disguised then its bad, but no reason for ebay to make a profit out of it without solving a problem.
I not on an anti-ebay rant, they provide a great service, but it is far from perfect or fair. Its not suppose to be that.
I also am a buyer, and I'm put off by very long small print and wacky changes of color font size. I think it is made to distract you.
If the amounts are not declared then you shouldn't be charged. If they are sneakily disguised then its bad, but no reason for ebay to make a profit out of it without solving a problem.
I not on an anti-ebay rant, they provide a great service, but it is far from perfect or fair. Its not suppose to be that.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


787 posts
18 years
Portugal
It is strictly against eBay rules to surcharge for PayPal fees, so don't do it unless you want to get banned. A discount for cheque payment is allowable (as far as I can tell), so you could try that way if your start price is high enough.
They only do that to get more money.
I never think about they price of an item, I always think price+postage. If postage is ridiculously high, then it might not be such a great deal.
Its a no brainer...
The only thing you must account for is either enforce the display of postage prices or remove obligation of payment if those are not displayed.