Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Panasonic LX-3

Posted 16/09/2009 - 20:48 Link
Okay all, I know its not a Pentax, and if Pentax had a "Pro" spec compact I would be very interested.

Now, has anyone got one of these little gems?
I am asking as my Ricoh R8 has generated a fault (namely smashed LCD, but not from dropping it, but I digress). The Ricoh clearly has a design fault, namely the casing around the LCD is too soft, unlike a number of other cameras. It has gone back, as I only bought it in Feb, but I am not holding my breath.

So, now I am looking for a replacement. Having already got a couple of bridge cameras (in the shape of Fuji's S5000 and S6500fd) I don't want to go down that path.
So, it is to be a compact, yet I want something to be more capable than the R8.
It needs to have RAW, it needs to have AV, SV and M functions, it also needs to be fairly wide (28mm eqv at least).
Now I know the R8 had none of these, but this time I want something superior to the run of the mill compact.

Hence why I have thought of the LX-3

It has RAW, it has full control, it has a fast (F2-2.8 ) lens, it is well made, it has the largest CCD of any compact barring 4/3rds and DP1/2.
Only thing it does not have is a reasonable zoom range (only 24-60 eqv) a little longer would have been nice.

So, does anyone have this camera and what do they think of it? does the limited zoom range hinder at all? Are you happy with the IQ?
Is it a better bet than finding a C***n G10 which is £100 more (best prices)?
Would you consider the Fuji F200EXR a good alternative (although I have seen images from this, and found the detail muddy at full size)

Advices please

Cheers.

Iain
Some Cameras
Edited by Offertonhatter: 16/09/2009 - 20:50
Greytop
Posted 16/09/2009 - 22:14 Link
Great little camera, I bought one for my wife a couple of months back. Build is excellent, it's nice and compact and the 3" screen is superb. As you mentioned it has a fast f/2 2.8 lens and I believe strikes the right balance between wide angle, zoom and optical quality. Also given the relatively small sensor size higher ISO performance is really quite impressive.
I also looked at the G9/10 but concluded the LX-3 was a better tool for her/our general needs. We've also bought the neat retro leather case for it. It's a fine little camera, she loves it and I have to say I'd be happy with too (I do use it occasionally)
Regards Huw

flickr
Edited by Greytop: 16/09/2009 - 22:16
Posted 16/09/2009 - 22:30 Link
Thanks Greytop. A friend has the G10 and it appears a great camera, but bulky, however. The LX-3 is a little smaller, and hence easier to put in the pocket. I also like the dedicated leather case for it, which will be a must. Has your wife had any issues about the lack of zoom at the long end, wishing they had more focal length?
Some Cameras
jackitec
Posted 16/09/2009 - 22:41 Link
This would be my next camera if I was buying another one, although it's not a Pentax I think the quality and convenience is great and it fits in the shirt pocket as I'm fed up lugging all my gear around,
http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2009/03/21/Panasonic-Lumix-...
Greytop
Posted 16/09/2009 - 22:44 Link
With regard to the focal lengths, no she's quite happy with it. For the use it is put to wide angle (24mm equiv.) to short zoom is ideal.
Regards Huw

flickr
Edited by Greytop: 16/09/2009 - 22:46
Posted 16/09/2009 - 22:49 Link
Thanks both, I think my mind is made up, unless someone can come up with a cracking alternative.

Now to get one.
Some Cameras
jackitec
Posted 16/09/2009 - 22:53 Link
Greytop
Posted 16/09/2009 - 23:06 Link
And I'll chip in with this group review http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408enthusiastgroup/ but I expect you have already seen it
Regards Huw

flickr
Posted 16/09/2009 - 23:29 Link
I really like mine and try to carry it around as much as possible. It takes great shots and they look fantastic on the LCD. I found the G9 bulky and the viewfinder was poor.

The only problem I've had with the LX3 is that it's easy to knock the mode dial into an 'in-between' setting by accident.

There are a few external viewfinder options (though the official one is ridiculously expensive) - I bought a cheap one but find I don't use it much. It took me a while to get out of the habit of holding up to my eye though!

Sometimes I even take it out with my main camera, to use for wide angle shots. Then I can just leave the 55-300mm on the K20D.
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 17/09/2009 - 13:56 Link
I bought one in June as a carry-around camera. Have been pleasantly surprised not to have missed the lack of reach much - this was my main concern before buying it. However, I just find myself working with what I've got and not bothering about the limited range (and at the other end the width is great).

On the other hand, I've been a little disappointed by the noise performance. Perhaps this is related to my taking pictures in lower light than usual thanks to the f2-2.8 lens (most of my Pentax lenses are a stop or two slower). However, I find while it is capable of rendering an illuminated area pretty well those areas not illuminated (sky for eg.) get pretty nasty. Certainly there's no comparison with the K20D - though perhaps this isn't a fair comparison, given the nature of the camera and the size of the sensor. Though I was anticipating slightly better performance, having read numerous reviews praising it for its low light capability.

Still, all things considered, I'm very happy with it. Took it to a Greek Baptism and a Scottish Wedding during our European hols, where those involved had asked me to take photos. Nervously left the K20D in the hotel room, but the LX3 performed really well. The black & white jpegs are particularly nice - this is my default setting now.
Mhuni

500px
grahamwalton
Posted 17/09/2009 - 14:18 Link
When I was looking for a lightweight SLR substitute, I did consider this camera. My shortlist was LX3, P6000 and G10. In the end I opted for the G10, as I liked its feel and performance.

There is a Leica clone of the LX3, for about £500.
Friendly Regards
Graham
lemmy
Posted 20/09/2009 - 16:38 Link
I have an LX3. For a take everywhere camera, it's nigh on perfect with its fast wide angle and RAW shooting.

Noise performance is better than I expected but obviously not up to DSLR standards.

This was taken at my local blues club at 1600iso. (With normal noise reduction applied as I always would at this iso speed with my DSLR as well)

Comment Image

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.