P30 Wind-On Problem

Anonymous
Posted 02/10/2004 - 16:00 Link
Hi,
I currently own a Spotmatic, and a P30 which i just bought.
The P30 occasionally has a really strange problem that im hoping someone here could help me with.
The problem occurs occasionally when I go to advance the film.
I pull the advance lever across and load the film as normal, but the camera will not fire off and although the camera is already loaded it allows me to advance the film again, and then the camera fires as normal.
So in otherwords, it is really taking two winds of the lever to take one photo, and of course one shot on the film is being lost in the process. I hope i have explained this clearly enough.
john monaghan
Posted 04/10/2004 - 16:44 Link
I got exactly the same problem on my p30 last night, so I'll be interested in any responses too.
Anonymous
Posted 05/10/2004 - 03:13 Link
Well although im not glad that you have the same problem as me, it seems good that we both have the same problem with the P30. Surely someone with some camera repair experience may be able to help us out with this problem. I have emailed local camera repair joints and no one there seems to be able to explain the problem.
On a side note does anyone know if the P30 has a removable focusing screen, as mine is clean except for a black spec close to the split focus pane.
johnriley
Posted 05/10/2004 - 09:43 Link
The P30 does not have a user-replaceable screen, but a workshop replacement would be possible if needed.

Unless there is a wind-on fault, the only other thing I can think of is that the P30 must be switched on for the shutter to operate. I don't know if it's possible to wind on and load without switching on the camera.

Also, if you are loading and the camera is set to "auto" and you have the lens cap on, or the lens cap is off but the camera pointed into a dark area, the shutter speed delivered will be very long indeed. Put the shutter dial on 1/1000 sec for the swiftest loading and there should be no problem.

You might be trying to wind on whilst the shutter is still open, which I could see upsetting the mechanism somewhat.
Best regards, John
john monaghan
Posted 05/10/2004 - 18:53 Link
I only use my cameras in manual mode. The winder is taking two full winds to cock, in manual, with the lens cap off. This started well into a film (at about halfway), and it's the first time I've had this problem with this (or any) camera. The winding action feels normal, but it consistently takes two full winds. I'll finish the film off tomorrow, and have a look what the results are like.
john monaghan
Posted 10/10/2004 - 11:05 Link
I went out to finish off this film yesterday and though there were 9 shots left, I only got to take one, as the winder just kept on winding without cocking the shutter. I removed the film and put in a jessops freeby, and just kept winding and pressing the shutter release on B but no winder problems now.
I then opened up the back and watched as I wound on, but again no problems (set the exposure to 1 sec).
I haven't a clue what caused this , but it "seems" ok now.
Anonymous
Posted 10/10/2004 - 12:19 Link
well i have a P 30 and i have the same problem! nah im just joking. I dont know what aperture is and stuff though? could somebody help me?
Anonymous
Posted 11/10/2004 - 15:03 Link
Update..
Spoke with a local camera tech. This problem is caused by worn rubber seals in the shutter box. I have returned the camera to its place of purchase and it is being sent-away for repair.
And Yes John, On my second roll of film, at about the 23rd shot it wound forward like 6 times without cocking. So we both have experienced the problem in more ways that one now.

James
john monaghan
Posted 23/12/2004 - 16:00 Link
The same problem came back last night. I still can't work out what the problem is though i have seen a post by Kim C on another question re :mesuper with a similar problem that it may be rubber dampers. Could it be the same problem with the p30? This is my third camera body, but i do find it quite useful and would like to have a go at repairing it myself, any tips?
john
Kim C
Posted 28/12/2004 - 17:51 Link
Hi John,
It certainly does seem to be the rubbers. The problem is they are very difficult to source. My sisters MEF had the problem and she sent it to Michael Spencer. Unfortunately, despite his usual magic, he reckoned it was beyond economic repair because of the difficulty in getting spares. I solved to problem by getting another "dead" MEF for 80p and he is making one good one for me from the pair.

Regards Kim

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo