Ownuser Battery Grip FBH-P3

shaks

Link Posted 18/01/2009 - 20:41
Hi all, I'm highly interested in the Battery grip by Ownuser, mainly because of its price and that it takes AA batteries. However, because of its price, I'm a little concerned that it's not going to be very good.

Has anybody had any experience with this grip?

My apologies if this has already been asked but I couldn't find the post.

Cheers

P.S My K10D will arrive on Tuesday and I can't stop myself from telling everyone.

loskeran

Link Posted 19/01/2009 - 12:16
Hi Shaks,
If it is the same sort of thing as my friends Nikon 40x version, my advice is forget it, It is very Naff.
Save your money and get the Pentax one, and it will be weather sealed.

shaks

Link Posted 19/01/2009 - 12:18
I think you're right. The more I look at it, the more I realise I was being a little too optimistic.

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 19/01/2009 - 12:32
I have no experience of it, but it looks bulky, and lacks the command dials, green button, Exposure compensation button, and the storage space for the remote release and spare memory card. Oh and it's not weather sealed, which may or may not be important to you.

And why's it got 2 shutter release buttons?

If I was going for a cheaper alternative, I think I'd be more tempted by one of the copies of the pentax design, but not knowing how good they are...

But I was happy spending £100 on the genuine article.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

shaks

Link Posted 19/01/2009 - 12:38
My main reason for wanting one is for the battery issue. A nightmare for me has always been being on location somewhere without electricity to charge the batteries. The ownusers accept AA's albeit an army of AA's.

womble

Link Posted 19/01/2009 - 14:17
I have found that two batteries in my K10 (one in the camera and one in the grip) will last for a very long time. I often go for weeks without charging them. If you are worried buy some extras (there are reasonable non-Pentax ones around, search old posts for suggestions) and just take a set with you.

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

shaks

Link Posted 19/01/2009 - 15:30
I'll probably do just that.

Thanks for your advice guys.

womble

Link Posted 19/01/2009 - 15:34
A pleasure
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Hardgravity

Link Posted 19/01/2009 - 16:32
Following on from womble's comment, SRS are listing the grip for the K10/20 here

Don't forget to mention your a forum user if you order, they don't charge us for postage so I'm told
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

shaks

Link Posted 19/01/2009 - 16:34
Cool, thanks.

golfdiesel

Link Posted 19/01/2009 - 18:28
it looks very nasty and not very ergonomic...

Don't fall for this one either (it looks the same as the original but costs allmost as much:
Imitation grip
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T

shaks

Link Posted 19/01/2009 - 18:31
The situation has changed somewhat. I won't now be getting a K10D, the shop ran out even though they said they had it in stock. So doing what any sensible person would do, I blew the budget and went for the K20D.

I think I'll go for the genuine article and just get a few of those rechargeable batteries.

loskeran

Link Posted 19/01/2009 - 18:43
shaks wrote:
The situation has changed somewhat. I won't now be getting a K10D, the shop ran out even though they said they had it in stock. So doing what any sensible person would do, I blew the budget and went for the K20D.

I think I'll go for the genuine article and just get a few of those rechargeable batteries.

Hi, you won't regret it, the K20 is a superb bit of kit.
I love mine, I am now just about getting used to it and I had one of the first ones to come into the country!!
I also paid alot more for it than you have had to but I don't care, I have never had so much fun with a camera before.

shaks

Link Posted 19/01/2009 - 18:47
Well I'm not one to read a manual, any kind of manual but I've been reading the manual for the K20D as I can't wait to get it.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 20/01/2009 - 08:50
Enjoy your K20, when it arrives. You've made a good choice there and the original battery grip is definately the one to go for.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 20/01/2009 - 08:50
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.