Out with my new macro kit

Spad

Link Posted 29/07/2022 - 22:44
Today was the first day I have had a proper play at macro with me Sigma 105mm EX Macro and the recently acquired Pentax AF080C Macro Ring Flash.

This is a new area of photography for me and my first serious attempt at macro as my main objective!

Here are the results.... any comments advice or help will be muchly appreciated.

At the beggining there was nothing....

Which exploded....
Last Edited by Spad on 29/07/2022 - 22:48

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 29/07/2022 - 23:02
For a 'first attempt', that's pretty sweet, Spad.
Be well, stay safe.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 30/07/2022 - 00:38
Very sweet in fact ! One problem with using the flash is apparent at once - those black backgrounds - nothing wrong with them, but you might not always want them so don't rely completely on the flash.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Spad

Link Posted 30/07/2022 - 00:57
davidwozhere wrote:
Very sweet in fact ! One problem with using the flash is apparent at once - those black backgrounds - nothing wrong with them, but you might not always want them so don't rely completely on the flash.

Oh i definitely agree... if I had the light to do it, i wouldn't have used the flash as i did. Unfortunately where i was it was not possible. The next bright day i will go flashless!

One thing i have noticed tho... the details is just jaw dropping! I have a 49in monitor on my computer so i can work at print sizes. On a screen of that size macro doesn't half jump out at you!!
At the beggining there was nothing....

Which exploded....
Last Edited by Spad on 30/07/2022 - 00:58

Lubbyman

Link Posted 30/07/2022 - 09:04
+1 for what davidwozhere says. A good start, keep it up!

One day you might get fussy about the flat lighting and highlights from reflected flash, so it's worth noting that the ring flash doesn't have to be attached to the lens. If you can focus and press the shutter button one-handed, the other hand is free to hold the ring to one side. Or, if you're good at knocking up ad-hoc bits and pieces, it's possible to make a bracket that attaches to the camera's tripod bush and holds the flash to the side of the camera. Definitely non-standard use of the flash. But people who get hooked on macro often end up making photographic gear do non-standard things and knocking up ad-hoc gadgets. Fun if you like doing that sort of thing and very satisfying when it works!

Steve

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 30/07/2022 - 10:31
Agree with comments above...very impressive start Spad.

Its nice to have the ability to be able to create a black background on occasion though.

My standout shot is the spider on the web...really good and like the composition.

Also like the second shot of the bee covered in pollen...very detailed as you say.

I've always enjoyed playing around with macro...very satisfying when you produce exactly what you intended or sometimes even when you capture an image in a totally unexpected way.

Have fun experimenting.

regards

Karlo
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.