Out and About #2 - Nethy Bridge, Highland

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 06/03/2022 - 00:12
We spent a week with family in Scotland during the half-term. Not wanting to travel too far, we stayed together in a cottage in the Cairngorm National Park. It appeared that most folk had flown abroad for the holidays, with the honey pot of Aviemore rather quiet. Being the grumpy soul that I am this suited me perfectly

Whilst everyone down south were battening down the hatches with the imminent arrival of Dudley and Eunice, we had fantastic weather with decent falls of snow overnight; most days being cold, bright and sunny apart from the one partially gloomy day when both the pictures below were taken. Still, that day was great to be out and about as the sun made brief appearances to light the tops of the mountains and provide a glimpse of their majesty.

Both pictures taken with Pentax K5 and DA 18-135.

Nethy Bridge parish church, taken from the keep of the neighbouring Castle Roy. 115mm, f/5.6, 1/640s.

Northern slopes of the Cairngorms providing a backdrop to a passing flock of geese. The geese, rather obligingly, flew back and forth a few times, providing an opportunity to 'frame-up' and remove the need to crop during post to improve the composition. 115mm, F/6.3, 1/160s.

Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 06/03/2022 - 12:54
Doesn't mono work well? Really like them both, but No.1 resonates for me. That's a great shot especially framing the church with the walls.
Be well, stay safe.
Last Edited by Urbanmeister on 06/03/2022 - 12:55

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 06/03/2022 - 18:28
Urbanmeister wrote:
Doesn't mono work well? Really like them both, but No.1 resonates for me. That's a great shot especially framing the church with the walls.

+1

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 06/03/2022 - 18:56
The opening image, I really like the composition, it really draws the eye in and makes it feel rather intimate
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - K3ii - two Z-1P - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Sigma EX 20mm - FA 28-70mm f4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

My Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT

Flan

Link Posted 06/03/2022 - 23:29
i like both of em
the first one for intrigue and the second one for expanse

Sry

Link Posted 07/03/2022 - 15:33
Nigel, that first one is a beauty of a composition, and you've made wonderful use of the snow-lit peaks in the background.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 07/03/2022 - 19:23
Sry wrote:
Nigel, that first one is a beauty of a composition, and you've made wonderful use of the snow-lit peaks in the background.

Agreed - each element works so well, brilliant spot
LennyBloke

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 19/03/2022 - 17:05
Dear all.

Thank you for the feedback, it does help to understand where things have worked and to understand if the pictures have captured what I envisaged.

I normally walk around with a manual prime, focal length somewhere between 24mm and 100mm. On this occasion the forecast was for sunny spells interspersed with squally snow showers, so I played safe and took the 18-135mm. The zoom range came in handy for the first picture as the section wall of the keep at Castle Roy was out of bounds.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.