Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

orphan playing alone cambodia

mattox
Posted 18/12/2009 - 19:08 Link
Comment Image

Took this in Cambodia while visiting an orphanage for rice delivery to the kids. All were so happy to play with us and were so excited. This little girl however, remained on her own on a swing in the corning. If only I knew what was going on in her head....what she has suffered like so many in Cambodia.
Edited by mattox: 18/12/2009 - 19:10
techno-terminator
Posted 18/12/2009 - 19:53 Link
That's a disturbing picture She's looking through you , you don't exist .
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
mattox
Posted 19/12/2009 - 09:29 Link
Exactly, very moving, hey. To think that i sat in front of her for at least 5 minutes and she didn't even blink. My camera could have been a gun for all she cared. Disturbing to say, but that is how it is there.
thoughton
Posted 19/12/2009 - 10:58 Link
mattox wrote:
Exactly, very moving, hey. To think that i sat in front of her for at least 5 minutes and she didn't even blink. My camera could have been a gun for all she cared. Disturbing to say, but that is how it is there.

I'm sorry but I think that is a bit of a generalisation I haven't spent much time in Cambodia, only a couple of months, and yes while you do meet and hear about victims of landmines and the khmer rouge most of the people you meet seem to be happy with their lives. Obviously places like S21 are hideously unpleasant to visit but well worth the effort. My wife wept for the entire hour or so we were there.

It's a good newsy photo. Without the backstory I don't think she looks unusually haunted or anything like that. My son has that look in his eyes sometimes, generally he's thinking "what the hell are you looking at" (he's three) The missed focus is a real shame, and the slight pink tint looks a little odd to me.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
mattox
Posted 19/12/2009 - 11:07 Link
Thanks for your comments Tim, as negative as they are, but that's what a forum is about, otherwise I wouldn't have posted the photo here, right?

To respond, I feel this way because i have been to many places, non touristic as such, and in these rural areas, especially like childrens hospitals and orphanages, they are really still suffering. In the big cities and tourists spots you don't see this. But nice to know your opinion of what your saw.

The photo itself is a bit blurred, but she was on a swing. Sometimes technique doesn't mean everything when you are trying to prevail a message. If I haven't in your case, I am sorry.
thoughton
Posted 19/12/2009 - 11:20 Link
Heh sorry I didn't mean to be particularly negative. Just honest criticism, which as you say is what this section of the forum is for. All I'm saying is that without your accompanying explanation the photo doesn't say enough to me.

It would seem to me that kids in children's hospitals and orphanages all over the world are suffering. I don't think that is particular to Cambodia, despite their terrible recent history. And I should assure you that I very rarely hang out in the big cities and tourist spots

Were you over there with a church or charity?
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
mattox
Posted 19/12/2009 - 11:41 Link
Of course. Honest criticism, as I said, is what this forum is about. Taking this into consideration i am currently filtering through my selection of shots in Cambodia and will upload one of slightly better image quality to see.

To answer your question, I was in Cambodia on my own for a visit and will be going back in the following months to Takaio Childrens Hospital where I will be assisting in operations with various surgical teams. It's not something huge, but every bit of help makes a difference.
Pentaxophile
Posted 19/12/2009 - 12:07 Link
Very nice. As has been said, the focus may not be perfect, but it's an image that captures and holds your attention. Technical perfection is not the be all and end all for this sort of reportage-y image.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
mattox
Posted 19/12/2009 - 12:58 Link
Thanks for your comment, agree totally. Here is another shot of the same girl, with slightly better image quality (focus, composition and desaturation improved).

Comment Image
Thordell
Posted 19/12/2009 - 14:01 Link
Just catching up and prefer the second shot, having the background explained does leave one wondering what on earth is going through this little ones head, is she oblivious to you or is she just waiting for you to inflict yet more pain or indignity? One does not know but I feel if the shot makes one think, which it does, then you have done your job well. The reason I suggest she may feel threatened is she seems, in the second shot, to be pushing the hoop between herself and you, is it to protect herself or an invitation to play, sad thing is I do not know but were she a dog I would have a good idea this gesture was one of fear, which brings me to the horrid conclusion that I know more of the dog than my fellow man.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
thoughton
Posted 19/12/2009 - 16:19 Link
I think the 2nd shot is a great improvement. Nicely done!
Tim
mattox
Posted 20/12/2009 - 09:35 Link
I think so too, cheers. Well to answer the queries, if a story is needed to go with the image i will say that:

through an organisation we delivered 200 kg of rice, a few hundred fresh eggs and dried fish to this orphanage near Phnom Penh, plus a dozen or so various toys to keep the kids entertained. We arrived and all these kids rushed out to see us. They were so excited too see us and immediately we began to play games with them. I removed myself from the excitement with my camera and began to see a few children not joining in, not even recognising our arrival. One of these children, the girl in the photo, grabbed one of the toys we brought, the hoop, and sat on her own. I tried to move close to her and comfort her, although she looked straight through me.

I think what Jackie states is very true in this case, the hoop representing a barrier between us.
mattox
Posted 21/12/2009 - 16:22 Link
When i look at the second image subjectively, after technical criticism in this forum, I see a huge difference in the two. Sometimes it's really difficult to apply critique to our work from inside and I am very happy that in this forum our work can be improved by the help of fellow pentaxians.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.