Orca- The "L" pod
Posted 10/07/2014 - 20:02
Link
Barry if you had asked I would have held the camera for you!
me jealous?
Why are they known as the L pod? How close were you? What lens?
Dave
me jealous?
Why are they known as the L pod? How close were you? What lens?
Dave
Posted 10/07/2014 - 20:40
Link
Blythman wrote:
So jealous Barrie. Must have been amazing
Very amazing.So jealous Barrie. Must have been amazing
davem wrote:
Why are they known as the L pod? How close were you? What lens?
Dave
They are a resident pod normally found in the Salish Sea between Vancouver Island and mainland USA. Being resident they are part of a long term scientific study and were designated the L pod of that.Why are they known as the L pod? How close were you? What lens?
Dave
The boats work to a regulation distance, so as not to disturb, I think it's 100 meters. I was using a K3+DA300+1.4X and they have been cropped a good deal.
We were dead lucky, as I say they are normally found down by the USA coast, where the distance is extended to 200 Yards. According to the marine biologist on our boat the pod are salmon eaters and were on a fishing trip up to Tofino in Canadian waters
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 10/07/2014 - 20:58
Link
Once in a lifetime opportunity well caught.
Unlike the others though I'm not in the least bit jealous.
(much)
Unlike the others though I'm not in the least bit jealous.
(much)
Posted 10/07/2014 - 21:38
Link
A great experience well caught on camera ... The first two do well to set the whales off in their environment.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 11/07/2014 - 09:18
Link
Ah! My mates the L pod. We saw them too, but in US waters on a trip from Anacortes. Always a privilege to see whales and dolphins doing their thing. An experience to treasure.
Our boat had to chase them like mad as they were hunting, then suddenly they stopped and our boat had to keep backing off so as to to break the rules about being too close.
The weather wasn't as good for our trip though.
I ended up with a lot of photos of splashes as well as a couple of orcas.
Had the same problem on the east coast with humpbacks, and they were right by the boat - just kept coming close for a look at as all. Felt they watching us at least as much as we were watching them.
Ridiculously emotional experience every time too.
Our boat had to chase them like mad as they were hunting, then suddenly they stopped and our boat had to keep backing off so as to to break the rules about being too close.
The weather wasn't as good for our trip though.
I ended up with a lot of photos of splashes as well as a couple of orcas.
Had the same problem on the east coast with humpbacks, and they were right by the boat - just kept coming close for a look at as all. Felt they watching us at least as much as we were watching them.
Ridiculously emotional experience every time too.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6913 posts
17 years
Co. Durham UK
I just feel so privileged to have seen them I'd like to share.
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/