Orange Tip Progress V (Image Heavy).

coker

Link Posted 09/05/2020 - 18:07
Checked on the pupa last evening & saw it had changed position, with its head held back, away from off the twig.
Looked again later on & it had started to fidget/wriggle, all within the bounds of its silken "girdle".

Then within an hour, it had completely changed its external appearance, the metamorphosis within had obviously happened!
"Fine tuning" of its shape continued into the late evening & on into the early hours.
I left it, apparently settled into a fixed shape/position.
This morning there had been no change.
Some pics, then:

While it was all happening last evening, I noticed a small scrap, saved it in a small jar to investigate this morning.
It was about 3mm across.
I checked it under my loupe & this is what "emerged"

The larva's exuvia, the outer skin that was no longer needed in the creature's further developement.
It was split just behind the head, from where it had escaped, leaving the exuvia just rolled back, like a discarded sock!

The Exuvia

The Head

Detail of larva head.

The stacked images clearly show the arrangement of its eyes & the mandibles.

Any C&C more than welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!

prsjnb

Link Posted 09/05/2020 - 18:31
Aiee! Who would have thought that a single caterpillar could be the source of such boundless beauty and fascination*

Jon

*But only should it have the good fortune to be collected and nurtured by a macro-master

Mike-P

Link Posted 09/05/2020 - 18:51
Really interesting progression, enjoying watching it but it would be nice if you kept it all in one thread so I can just bookmark it and then click daily to see if there has been any action
. My Flickr

alfpics

Link Posted 09/05/2020 - 22:11
Once again - thanks for sharing. This is really fascinating stuff.
Andy

davidwozhere

Link Posted 10/05/2020 - 01:10
People so frequently marvel at the idea of metamorphosis inside the chrysalis but the manner in which the caterpillar becomes the chrysalis in the first place is so very rarely mentioned, let alone documented like this. And you have become a maestro of the micro ! Thanks for sharing these.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.