Optio S10 Memory Card Error

caradais
Posted 22/08/2009 - 23:13 Link
Hi all
I recently purchased an Optio S10; when I put the memory card in, it says memory card error.

I have formatted it via my computer; and tried it in a different camera, it is fine. I have tried other memory cards in both the Optio and my digital SLR and still the memory card comes up with memory card error only on the Optio.

Is this a fault and should I send the camera back, or is there something else I can try with the optio at all?

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance.
scottthehat
Posted 22/08/2009 - 23:32 Link
if its doing it with other cards it must be a fault with the camera,
just keep snapping,

https://pentaxphotogallery.com/scottbenson


http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/scottthehat/


CAMERAS = k200d + battery grip.
nikon d300 + battery grip.
LENSES = tamron aspherical DII 18-200mm f3.5/6.3,
nikon 18-200mm afs vr f3.5/5.6 g dx
sigma 150-500mm apo dg hsm os
sigma 170-500mm apo dg
FLASH = samsung sef36pzf flash + more.
Edited by scottthehat: 22/08/2009 - 23:34
johnriley
Posted 22/08/2009 - 23:44 Link
Cards should always be formatted in the camera they are to be used in rather than in the computer.
Best regards, John
caradais
Posted 22/08/2009 - 23:47 Link
That's the point, I cannot access the card from the camera, it says memory card error. I think that it is indeed a fault with the camera, so I shall be sending it back.

Thanks
Thordell
Posted 23/08/2009 - 10:00 Link
If you are unable to access any card in the new camera then it would seem to be a fault with the camera unless it has to be loaded into the camera in a unexpected way and you have not read the directions, not getting at you which amongst us do read instructions on how to put in a SD card, might be worth a quick look before you return the camera for replacement.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
caradais
Posted 23/08/2009 - 10:27 Link
Hi, thanks for your reply. I've owned a few digital cameras, so do know the right way to insert an SD card. It has to be a camera fault.
Thordell
Posted 23/08/2009 - 11:19 Link
caradais wrote:
Hi, thanks for your reply. I've owned a few digital cameras, so do know the right way to insert an SD card. It has to be a camera fault.
I am sure which is why I suggested that perhaps this camera was different to the norm, unlikely but worth a look.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
caradais
Posted 23/08/2009 - 13:36 Link
I understand where you are coming from, except there is only one way I can insert the SD card; I've also checked to see if the card was switched to locked in case that was causing a problem. I've also tried other SD cards in the same camera.

So I still think there is a fault with the camera and the supplier has offered to exchange.
George Lazarette
Posted 23/08/2009 - 18:32 Link
So how can we help you?

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Mannesty
Posted 23/08/2009 - 22:12 Link
I don't know that model but is it maybe SD only, and are you trying to get an SDHC card to work in it?

Do any cards work in the camera, or do they all show the same error, yet work OK in another camera?

I'm just guessing. A bit more info about the card might help.


EDIT: I just checked the spec. and it should take SD or SDHC cards.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 23/08/2009 - 22:14
caradais
Posted 23/08/2009 - 22:22 Link
The reason I first posted is that I wondered if someone knew about this being an issue with cameras; whether or not it could be a firmware update issue; it turns out it isn't as I cannot find one to download.

It takes normal SD cards, one of which was included in the box; it produced an error. I tried at least two other SD cards in the camera, both of which work fine in a digital SLR in my possession.

I cannot format the card (or any SD card for that matter) in the camera as they all produce memory card error.

I don't really need any more assistance as I'm returning the camera now, but thank you to all who replied. It has been confirmed as a fault with the camera. No need for any more replies but thanks again!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo