Optio I-10 Recorded Pixels

terje-l
Posted 02/01/2011 - 12:26 Link
Just treated myself to a new I-10 for Christmas. It seems OK so far, but I miss the printed manual. Everything seems to be pdf these days.

Can somebody explain what the difference is between 12M and 12MH settings in Recorded Pixels? Since the file size is quite different, I assume that it is a case of JPEG compression, but no explanation was to be found in the manual.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Aero
Posted 02/01/2011 - 15:03 Link
This link for another Pentax compact says the number of pixels in 12M and 12MH are the same but your memory card will hold far more images in 12M. As you suggest, Terry, it looks like the difference is the amount of compression. 12MH could stand for 12M (High quality) or something similar. Or perhaps not. It would have been helpful if they'd explained this clearly. link

Al
Edited by Aero: 02/01/2011 - 15:04
Hardgravity
Posted 02/01/2011 - 15:14 Link
I was wondering what the difference was myself.

The quality at 12M on my i10 is superb so I haven't altered it.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
johnriley
Posted 02/01/2011 - 17:38 Link
I think there is an explanation in general terms, that is that there is a relationship between how much compression and image quality. It's easy to miss in the manual though.

In essence I always use the highest quality levels, just in case the shot I take happens to be a useful one that I want to do more with than usual. It would be a shame to shoot a masterpiece and then find it was web dimensions...
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo