Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Optio 60 forgets date

zaphod_es
Posted 20/12/2006 - 23:05 Link
Every time it is switched off the date reverts to 1/7/2005. I can find very little searching for help with this problem but cannot believe that it is unique (almost) to this particular camera.

If it is not a rare problem maybe it has been fixed in a firmware update. It is using version 1.00. I have not found a later version for the Optio 60 and wonder if it has been sold under another model name in other countries.

I would be grateful for any help solving this problem as it makes organsing the photos on a computer very difficult

ZB
Ammonyte
Posted 21/12/2006 - 20:44 Link
How long have you had the camera? Has the problem been occuring since you got it, or has it just started?

Make sure the date and time is set correctly for your Hometown setting.
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
zaphod_es
Posted 21/12/2006 - 22:03 Link
It is not my camera but I believe that it has had the problem sincee it was new just over a year ago - and is probably out of warranty now.

I don't follow your point about the hometown setting. If I set it for today's date and the time for wherever I happen to be in the world it will revert to 00.00.01am 1st July 2005 when it is restarted. How does the physical location matter?

ZB
Mannesty
Posted 21/12/2006 - 23:01 Link
I have no idea if the following will work for you but it might. In whichever order suits you:-

1: Remove the battery and leave the camera with no battery overnight.
2: Perform a reset to factory defaults (consult your manual/menu for instructions).
3: Reload the camera's firmware.
4: Try a new/different main battery.
5: Check for the existance of a 'backup' battery (consult your manual), and change it if it has one.
6: Let us know which if any fixes the problem.

Regards,
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
zaphod_es
Posted 21/12/2006 - 23:45 Link
I have already tried 1, 2 and 4. I will try 3 and check out 5 and report back.

Thanks.
Kim C
Posted 22/12/2006 - 00:29 Link
According to the manual, there isn't a back up battery or at least there isn't one mentioned.

Kim
Mannesty
Posted 22/12/2006 - 09:02 Link
In that case, if the firmware reload doesn't fix it, it'll have to go to Pentax or another reputable repairer for repair.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
MattMatic
Posted 22/12/2006 - 09:28 Link
Of the pocket digicams I've opened to fix, most have a non-user serviceable button cell for the clock functions. It's often placed in a little metal clip, so it's easily replaced once the camera is open.

Alternatively, there may be a "supercap".

However, if it's been non-functional since new, then there may be other issues too.

Either way, it's going to need a service

Matt
Ammonyte
Posted 22/12/2006 - 12:11 Link
Zaphod, what I meant by the hometown setting, is that many cameras now allow you to have two different time zones programmed into the camera, a hometown setting which is the default time zone (i.e. where you live) and a world time option which might be a different time zone that you frequently travel to. It makes switching the time on the camera very quick.

I just wondered if you had accidentally got the hometown date/time set to 00.00.01am 1st July 2005, and were setting the correct date/time under the world time option (if that is possible - I'm not sure, just digging around for possible soloutions). then when the camera is switched back on it was defaulting back to the (incorrect) hometown date/time. Does that make sense?
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
zaphod_es
Posted 22/12/2006 - 16:39 Link
Tim,

Now I see what you are getting at. The camera belongs to a family friend and has gone on a Christmas holiday so I cannot check it at the moment. The devices with this option that I have seen just adjust the hour by up to plus or minus 12 to allow for all time zones

I don't think that your suggestion could be the case as the date /time are always more or less the same unless the date is manually reset for a session.

ZB

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.