Optical Stabilisation Vs Shake Reduction.

RAB

Link Posted 06/03/2013 - 19:53
I am now the proud and happy (and lucky) owner of a new Sigma 150-500 zoom with Optical Stabilisation. I'm having fun getting to know this lens and have had some reasonable results.

The instructions with the lens say that I should de-activate the shake reduction function in the camera (K-5) and switch on the OS in the lens. I have so far dutifully complied.

I'm not quite 100% certain how each of these aids work, but I would have thought that since they worked independently of each other, if both systems were switched on, the lens would produce a stable image, and the in-camera system would further stabilise the image. This is clearly too good to be true, but can anyone explain why?

What would happen if both systems were left switched on?

The usual copious drams of malt whisky for the correct answer.
"He's not the Messiah, ..."
Last Edited by RAB on 06/03/2013 - 19:54

MarkTaylor

Link Posted 06/03/2013 - 20:01
Yes the two systems do work independently, but since the shake reduction in the camera body responds to movements of the camera body - not movements of the image, that becomes a problem rather than an advantage. The in-body SR isn't able to take into account the fact that you have a lens with optical stabilization attached. In effect what will happen is your in-lens optical stabilization will stabilize the image and the in-body SR will then effectively destabilize it again. Instead of compensating for camera movement correctly, the two systems combined will end up overcompensating.

It's a bit like jumping out of the way of an oncoming vehicle, but a passer-by, not realising you were going to jump pushes you in the same direction at the same time. Instead of jumping just the right distance you go way too far, end up in the next lane and get run over by a completely different vehicle. Okay, probably not the best analogy but the only one I could think of on the spur of the moment.
My Flickr Pentax K-5 K-5 II Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Last Edited by MarkTaylor on 06/03/2013 - 20:10

Helpful

davidstorm

Link Posted 06/03/2013 - 20:10
I recently purchased a 150-500 without OS, so I use the in body stabilisation. So far, almost all my shots with this lens have been shake-free, even at 500mm, which is testament to the Pentax SR.

I don't know if the lens OS is any better, but I don't feel that I need it based on results so far.

Can the lens OS be turned off? If it can, you could test with this on and the Pentax SR off, then do the tests in reverse and check the results.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

MarkTaylor

Link Posted 06/03/2013 - 20:17
davidstorm wrote:
I recently purchased a 150-500 without OS, so I use the in body stabilisation. So far, almost all my shots with this lens have been shake-free, even at 500mm, which is testament to the Pentax SR.

I don't know if the lens OS is any better, but I don't feel that I need it based on results so far.

Can the lens OS be turned off? If it can, you could test with this on and the Pentax SR off, then do the tests in reverse and check the results.

Regards
David

Based on tests I have read about (albeit not particularly scientific ones) there does not seem to be much difference in terms of which is 'better'. The main difference you will notice is that lens based optical stabilization will stabilize the image in the viewfinder, not just in the actual photograph. This may well be desirable with longer telephoto lenses as you'll be looking at quite a shaky viewfinder image otherwise.

Of course this only applies when shooting handheld - if using a tripod you should turn all forms of image stabilization off altogether.
My Flickr Pentax K-5 K-5 II Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Last Edited by MarkTaylor on 06/03/2013 - 20:19

eenymac

Link Posted 06/03/2013 - 21:37
Not really sure of the benefits of one over the other, they both seem to work very well.
My Bigma has in-lens OS and it works very well, the only downside being shorter battery life when in use.
I have also been using my DA*300mm a lot with the 1.7x AFA and in-body stabilisation. Even in less than perfect light, slower shutter speeds and handheld the results are great, so I'm very happy with it.

K10D

Link Posted 06/03/2013 - 22:38
RAB wrote:
What would happen if both systems were left switched on?

I have a Pentax fit Sigma with OS and have used both IS systems active.

Why don't you just try it and see what the results are. It does not break anything.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 07/03/2013 - 09:20
I turned my OS as it's not so easy to turn off SR in th K-5 - good results so far.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Algernon

Link Posted 07/03/2013 - 09:45
ilovesaabs wrote:
I turned my OS as it's not so easy to turn off SR in th K-5 - good results so far.

It's at the bottom of the list of icons on the 2nd page
of the LCD display accessed via the INFO button.

Switching to Remote Control (3 sec delay) also switches
it off. You can still release the shutter normally via the
release button.

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

bforbes

Link Posted 07/03/2013 - 10:23
ilovesaabs wrote:

I was shown this by Blythman at the weekend.

Press the INFO button on the back of the camera. highlight the shake reduction symbol, press OK and you can select on or off
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

dangie

Link Posted 07/03/2013 - 10:34
I have various lenses, some stabilized some not. To prevent me forgeting and getting mixed up I only use the cameras shake reduction. Those lenses with stablisation I leave switched off.

Also, as setting the delay timer automatically turns the in-built shake reduction off when using the tripod, would it also switch off lens stablisation if that was switched on or would that have to be done manually?
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner

Algernon

Link Posted 07/03/2013 - 10:40
dangie wrote:
Also, as setting the delay timer automatically turns the in-built shake reduction off when using the tripod, would it also switch off lens stablisation if that was switched on or would that have to be done manually?

I would think you have to do it manually. I doubt if there's a
signal sent to the lens that a timer/tripod is in use.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Blythman

Link Posted 07/03/2013 - 11:23
For me the best chance of getting a picture is with the in lens OS. It gives you a stable image, which makes all the difference. It may use up more battery life, so buy a spare battery. I took over 600 shots at the Farnes last year, and still had juice left in my second battery
Alan

PPG
Flickr

dpm

Link Posted 07/03/2013 - 19:02
Algernon wrote:
dangie wrote:

I would think you have to do it manually. I doubt if there's a
signal sent to the lens that a timer/tripod is in use.

If using an infrared remote, switching the camera to remote mode disables SR.

CyclopicFun

Link Posted 07/11/2013 - 12:49
I'm finding that all my handheld shots with shake reduction on are a little soft. Is this other peoples experience? I tend to leave shake reduction off most of the time.
www.martinsharpe.com flickr

Mike-P

Link Posted 07/11/2013 - 13:04
If I'm panning I use inbody SR and turn off OS, if not panning then I do the opposite.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.