Optical Stabilisation Vs Shake Reduction.
Posted 06/03/2013 - 20:01 - Helpful Comment
Link
Yes the two systems do work independently, but since the shake reduction in the camera body responds to movements of the camera body - not movements of the image, that becomes a problem rather than an advantage. The in-body SR isn't able to take into account the fact that you have a lens with optical stabilization attached. In effect what will happen is your in-lens optical stabilization will stabilize the image and the in-body SR will then effectively destabilize it again. Instead of compensating for camera movement correctly, the two systems combined will end up overcompensating.
It's a bit like jumping out of the way of an oncoming vehicle, but a passer-by, not realising you were going to jump pushes you in the same direction at the same time. Instead of jumping just the right distance you go way too far, end up in the next lane and get run over by a completely different vehicle. Okay, probably not the best analogy but the only one I could think of on the spur of the moment.
It's a bit like jumping out of the way of an oncoming vehicle, but a passer-by, not realising you were going to jump pushes you in the same direction at the same time. Instead of jumping just the right distance you go way too far, end up in the next lane and get run over by a completely different vehicle. Okay, probably not the best analogy but the only one I could think of on the spur of the moment.
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Posted 06/03/2013 - 20:10
Link
I recently purchased a 150-500 without OS, so I use the in body stabilisation. So far, almost all my shots with this lens have been shake-free, even at 500mm, which is testament to the Pentax SR.
I don't know if the lens OS is any better, but I don't feel that I need it based on results so far.
Can the lens OS be turned off? If it can, you could test with this on and the Pentax SR off, then do the tests in reverse and check the results.
Regards
David
I don't know if the lens OS is any better, but I don't feel that I need it based on results so far.
Can the lens OS be turned off? If it can, you could test with this on and the Pentax SR off, then do the tests in reverse and check the results.
Regards
David
Posted 06/03/2013 - 20:17
Link
davidstorm wrote:
I recently purchased a 150-500 without OS, so I use the in body stabilisation. So far, almost all my shots with this lens have been shake-free, even at 500mm, which is testament to the Pentax SR.
I don't know if the lens OS is any better, but I don't feel that I need it based on results so far.
Can the lens OS be turned off? If it can, you could test with this on and the Pentax SR off, then do the tests in reverse and check the results.
Regards
David
Based on tests I have read about (albeit not particularly scientific ones) there does not seem to be much difference in terms of which is 'better'. The main difference you will notice is that lens based optical stabilization will stabilize the image in the viewfinder, not just in the actual photograph. This may well be desirable with longer telephoto lenses as you'll be looking at quite a shaky viewfinder image otherwise.I recently purchased a 150-500 without OS, so I use the in body stabilisation. So far, almost all my shots with this lens have been shake-free, even at 500mm, which is testament to the Pentax SR.
I don't know if the lens OS is any better, but I don't feel that I need it based on results so far.
Can the lens OS be turned off? If it can, you could test with this on and the Pentax SR off, then do the tests in reverse and check the results.
Regards
David
Of course this only applies when shooting handheld - if using a tripod you should turn all forms of image stabilization off altogether.
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Posted 06/03/2013 - 21:37
Link
Not really sure of the benefits of one over the other, they both seem to work very well.
My Bigma has in-lens OS and it works very well, the only downside being shorter battery life when in use.
I have also been using my DA*300mm a lot with the 1.7x AFA and in-body stabilisation. Even in less than perfect light, slower shutter speeds and handheld the results are great, so I'm very happy with it.
My Bigma has in-lens OS and it works very well, the only downside being shorter battery life when in use.
I have also been using my DA*300mm a lot with the 1.7x AFA and in-body stabilisation. Even in less than perfect light, slower shutter speeds and handheld the results are great, so I'm very happy with it.
Posted 06/03/2013 - 22:38
Link
RAB wrote:
What would happen if both systems were left switched on?
I have a Pentax fit Sigma with OS and have used both IS systems active.What would happen if both systems were left switched on?
Why don't you just try it and see what the results are. It does not break anything.
Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 07/03/2013 - 09:20
Link
I turned my OS as it's not so easy to turn off SR in th K-5 - good results so far.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Posted 07/03/2013 - 09:45
Link
ilovesaabs wrote:
I turned my OS as it's not so easy to turn off SR in th K-5 - good results so far.
It's at the bottom of the list of icons on the 2nd pageI turned my OS as it's not so easy to turn off SR in th K-5 - good results so far.
of the LCD display accessed via the INFO button.
Switching to Remote Control (3 sec delay) also switches
it off. You can still release the shutter normally via the
release button.
-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 07/03/2013 - 10:23
Link
ilovesaabs wrote:
I turned my OS as it's not so easy to turn off SR in th K-5 - good results so far.
I was shown this by Blythman at the weekend. I turned my OS as it's not so easy to turn off SR in th K-5 - good results so far.
Press the INFO button on the back of the camera. highlight the shake reduction symbol, press OK and you can select on or off
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 07/03/2013 - 10:34
Link
I have various lenses, some stabilized some not. To prevent me forgeting and getting mixed up I only use the cameras shake reduction. Those lenses with stablisation I leave switched off.
Also, as setting the delay timer automatically turns the in-built shake reduction off when using the tripod, would it also switch off lens stablisation if that was switched on or would that have to be done manually?
Also, as setting the delay timer automatically turns the in-built shake reduction off when using the tripod, would it also switch off lens stablisation if that was switched on or would that have to be done manually?
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
Posted 07/03/2013 - 10:40
Link
dangie wrote:
Also, as setting the delay timer automatically turns the in-built shake reduction off when using the tripod, would it also switch off lens stablisation if that was switched on or would that have to be done manually?
I would think you have to do it manually. I doubt if there's aAlso, as setting the delay timer automatically turns the in-built shake reduction off when using the tripod, would it also switch off lens stablisation if that was switched on or would that have to be done manually?
signal sent to the lens that a timer/tripod is in use.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 07/03/2013 - 11:23
Link
For me the best chance of getting a picture is with the in lens OS. It gives you a stable image, which makes all the difference. It may use up more battery life, so buy a spare battery. I took over 600 shots at the Farnes last year, and still had juice left in my second battery
Posted 07/03/2013 - 19:02
Link
Algernon wrote:
signal sent to the lens that a timer/tripod is in use.
If using an infrared remote, switching the camera to remote mode disables SR.
dangie wrote:
Also, as setting the delay timer automatically turns the in-built shake reduction off when using the tripod, would it also switch off lens stablisation if that was switched on or would that have to be done manually?
I would think you have to do it manually. I doubt if there's aAlso, as setting the delay timer automatically turns the in-built shake reduction off when using the tripod, would it also switch off lens stablisation if that was switched on or would that have to be done manually?
signal sent to the lens that a timer/tripod is in use.
Posted 07/11/2013 - 12:49
Link
I'm finding that all my handheld shots with shake reduction on are a little soft. Is this other peoples experience? I tend to leave shake reduction off most of the time.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


123 posts
16 years
Kilmarnock,
Ayrshire,
The instructions with the lens say that I should de-activate the shake reduction function in the camera (K-5) and switch on the OS in the lens. I have so far dutifully complied.
I'm not quite 100% certain how each of these aids work, but I would have thought that since they worked independently of each other, if both systems were switched on, the lens would produce a stable image, and the in-camera system would further stabilise the image. This is clearly too good to be true, but can anyone explain why?
What would happen if both systems were left switched on?
The usual copious drams of malt whisky for the correct answer.