Optical Stabilisation Vs Shake Reduction.
Posted 07/11/2013 - 14:00
Link
Mike-P wrote:
If I'm panning I use inbody SR and turn off OS, if not panning then I do the opposite.
Curious, I do exactly the opposite. The OS of the Sigma lenses has 2 options, 1 = horizontal and vertical stabilisation, and 2 = only vertical stabilisation (for panning left to right or vice versa in landscape orientation). When panning, you don't really want horizontal stabilisation because as you pan (move) the camera left or right, the horizontal stabiliser could ruin the image.If I'm panning I use inbody SR and turn off OS, if not panning then I do the opposite.
That's as I understand it anyway.
The Pentax in body SR system is either on or off in all axis' with no possibility to limit it to only one plane. I think it caters for rotational movement as well as horizontal and vertical.
I'm not sure if Sigmas system can deal with rotational movement, but I think not.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 22/06/2018 - 18:49
Link
To reawaken this old thread, just as far as in-body shake reduction is concerned.
Common sense suggests that SR will be most effective with slow shutter speeds. I don't know how fast the mechanical response time is, with recent Pentax models, but surely when one is exposing for, say, 1/1000 sec or faster, SR cannot significantly improve sharpness.
Of course, the focal length will come into the calculation, but is there any data to suggest the shutter speed above which SR contributes little if anything to an average photo taken with a 35mm lens on an APS-C camera?
Common sense suggests that SR will be most effective with slow shutter speeds. I don't know how fast the mechanical response time is, with recent Pentax models, but surely when one is exposing for, say, 1/1000 sec or faster, SR cannot significantly improve sharpness.
Of course, the focal length will come into the calculation, but is there any data to suggest the shutter speed above which SR contributes little if anything to an average photo taken with a 35mm lens on an APS-C camera?
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
Posted 22/06/2018 - 19:38
Link
I've only seen tests from the K-7 and K-5 which showed SR most effective a few stops either side of 1/20th sec. and hardly any advantage at around 1/125th or faster.
The SR has improved since but I wouldn't expect much improvement at fast speeds.
See....
http://blog.falklumo.com/search/label/shake%20reduction
Fuji owners have this to help them
https://fujifilm-blog.com/2016/06/16/banish-camera-shake-with-a-stringpod/
--
The SR has improved since but I wouldn't expect much improvement at fast speeds.
See....
http://blog.falklumo.com/search/label/shake%20reduction
Fuji owners have this to help them
https://fujifilm-blog.com/2016/06/16/banish-camera-shake-with-a-stringpod/
--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 23/06/2018 - 08:29
Link
Having tried in lens OS on a canon for the first time recently, I was blown away. Stabilising whilst lookong through the viewfinder was excellent, and something I really wish I had.
Posted 23/06/2018 - 08:56
Link
It's been available for years on Pentax via certain Sigma lenses. The 150-500mm is quite impressive and also useful for use on a tripod when 500 or 500+TC will still shake.
I never though about it before, but it probably makes manual focus easier if the image is stationary.
--
I never though about it before, but it probably makes manual focus easier if the image is stationary.
--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


24425 posts
24 years
Tyldesley,
Manchester
Perhaps you are shooting before it stabilises CyclopicFun? The EXIF data will tell you.