Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

One a Month 2018

Nigelk
Posted 06/01/2019 - 09:49 Link
I thought I'd put 12 photos together one taken from each month 2018, we've done this before and it can a bit of fun and quite interesting. My selection, as well as being about the photographs is also about events that took place or I was involved in during the year.

Early January saw a small group of us from our camera club visit Cambridge for a night shoot. This shot is of Clare Bridge and college.
Comment Image

The Beast from the East arrived in February, we saw some of the best snow we have seen in years.
Comment Image

It's All a Matter of Perspective. One of or daughters is currently working in Sydney Australia we took the opportunity to visit.
Comment Image

Catching a Few Rays. Early April we're still in Australia. This shot taken at a vineyard near Adelaide
Comment Image

Rock and Stone. May we had a few days in the Spanish Pyrenees
Comment Image

June we had this most amazing field of poppies just a few miles from home, now a mass of concrete and bricks as new housing goes up.
Comment Image

The Day Job. July, we completed the making of one of my public pieces, very important for me. It is a very stylised interpretation of a man on his velocipede, James Moore. Created in three panels of twisted flat sections, as you move around it the layers play against each other implying a small degree of movement. It is yet to be installed on a roundabout, hopefully this spring.
Comment Image

August, family get together in Stroud. Photo taken on a visit to Berkeley Castle, I thought it captures a number of aspects of the building in one shot.
Comment Image

September, more excitement at work as a some new designs start to come together, combining handmade stained glass with my metalwork.
Comment Image

October, a tour of Roughham Hall, again only a handful of miles from home. A Victorian mansion built with money from a marriage, bomb damaged and never restored. I guess the estate didn't generate enough money to restore, now a sad ruin but great photographic stuff.
Comment Image

November, the wife went off to visit family so I had a rare weekend for getting out and about just me and my camera and tripod even! This is of Castle Acre Priory an amazing site north of Swaffham in Norfolk. I enjoyed a few hours wandering around and capturing different angles and aspects.
Comment Image

December, in the holidays I finally plucked up courage to ask family and friends to sit for me, to my amazement everyone I've asked so far has said yes. I warned all sitters I was not interested in creating flattering portraits, courageously they still sat for me. I've thoroughly enjoyed the experience, a good end to the year.
Comment Image
davidtrout
Posted 06/01/2019 - 09:56 Link
You had a good 2018 Nigel, these are first class. I like your varied approach to the subjects and we've learned you are an artist in other ways too. Congratulations.
David
Nigelk
Posted 06/01/2019 - 10:11 Link
Thank you David. My varied approach caused some discussion on a number of occasions at art college in the early 80's (not always easy). Pleased I'm still mashing it up
derek897
Posted 06/01/2019 - 15:45 Link
All good shots, Feb June July and Sept stand out for me.
A lovely mix of images from the year, and an interesting little bio for each shot,
An enjoyable read and gander through your images.
I know what i like, If not always why.
stub
Posted 06/01/2019 - 16:41 Link
All I can say with all due respect. Is typical Pentax user shots...!! "Where's the action man...?" The most movement there was. Was the snow in Feb... I was fast asleep by July..

Well taken images Nigel. Just not exciting enough for me,... Maybe just me..

Interesting idea though I may just give it a go...!!
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Edited by stub: 06/01/2019 - 16:43
alfpics
Posted 06/01/2019 - 16:50 Link
An enjoyable and varied set; beast from the east, along with June and October are the stand out ones fro me, although am intrigued by your metalwork and glass image.
Andy
cardiffgareth
Posted 06/01/2019 - 18:43 Link
Great years shooting then

Love Feb and June
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Nigelk
Posted 06/01/2019 - 19:13 Link
stub wrote:
All I can say with all due respect. Is typical Pentax user shots...!! "Where's the action man...?" The most movement there was. Was the snow in Feb... I was fast asleep by July..

Well taken images Nigel. Just not exciting enough for me,... Maybe just me..

Interesting idea though I may just give it a go...!!

You've laid your gauntlet down stub.
Sorry not to have kept you entertained. I await to see how I should have done it
Sry
Posted 06/01/2019 - 20:14 Link
February is grand, lovely feeling in that image. Selecting one a month makes for a varied set, I'll give it a go - thanks for spurring the idea.
stub
Posted 06/01/2019 - 20:48 Link
Nige... Hun, The attack wasnt a personal one..!! But what seems a brand owner one.. Type of photographs we are taking.. Still lives, landscapes. Holiday snaps done better..!! Like I say maybe i'm just the odd one out as I dont really find these over excting... There is technically nothing wrong with the images... Some very nice holiday's... Always wanted to go to Sydney personally...

For referenence I just applied the sport filter in the main gallery. Last entry was 24/11/2018.

Stuart..
Edited by stub: 06/01/2019 - 20:55
Nigelk
Posted 07/01/2019 - 08:05 Link
stub/Stuart, I haven't been offended by you. I'm very happy to hear peoples genuine thoughts. However, I think you have made up an issue regarding Pentax and movement. I belong to a quite large, very active photography club, only two of us shoot Pentax. I see hundreds and hundreds probably thousands of other photographers work every year, the overwhelming majority have no movement, landscapes, portraits, still life, architecture, historic sites etc etc, all shoot other brands, it's the majority of most stills photographers work, nothing to do with brand at all. We do have a couple of photographers that are into motor sport and a couple that sometimes shoot horse trials and show jumping, they often producing great images but these form a tiny minority of images shown.
On a personal note, fairly recently I created a post of photographs on Pentax User from my visit to the local skate park, I was quite pleased with what I achieved for a first visit and want to go back, I greatly enjoyed the experience. If you didn't catch it originally look it it out, perhaps there will be one or two shots you like there, having recently made that post I didn't include any of those shots in this post.
BUT...........the best way to influence and inform is from the front and setting examples, get your sporty action 1 a month shots posted, some people might think "oh that's a good idea" and go out and give it a go. I know this is how it has often worked for me, I see an image or images that get me excited and I'll go out and try and create my own versions.
I choose what I want to photograph, when and how, it has absolutely nothing to do with the brand of camera I use.
Good luck and don't blame the make of camera you use for anything.

Oh yes! I've uploaded a shot I took at a rugby match on Boxing day, now when you do your sports search there is an entry 16/12 /18. Damn I spoil you
Edited by Nigelk: 07/01/2019 - 08:22
Posted 07/01/2019 - 13:04 Link
Great set Nigel... congrats on setting yourself the challenge of picking one shot a month, and for posting them here... loads to like here... was intrigued to learn about your dayjob... have always thought you have a very inquisitive eye through a camera, and that would partly explain why... love the snow and the poppies, and your own metalwork, but particularly like the Sydney Harbour shot... really clever juxtaposition...

Keep mashing it up...

Best
stub
Posted 07/01/2019 - 16:59 Link
Not a matter of dont want to.. Nigel But not able to.. I may need assistance on how to post 12 images into the same post on this site...

Stuart..
Gwyn
Posted 07/01/2019 - 18:23 Link
I didn't fall asleep! I enjoyed them all, and the commentary on them. The metalwork with stained glass is my sort of thing.
Which roundabout will be home to your velocipede?
I don't think I took a photo a month last year.
Nigelk
Posted 07/01/2019 - 18:31 Link
stub wrote:
Not a matter of dont want to.. Nigel But not able to.. I may need assistance on how to post 12 images into the same post on this site...

You have to upload them one at a time Stuart. Each one comes up as a text line. If you don't want to say anything about the photographs do use enter to move the cursor down to leave a gap then load your next image.
You can always preview your post first to make sure it is as you wish. Once you get used to it it works ok, not great but ok.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.