old lens on new camera ?
Posted 11/11/2012 - 19:30
Link
Algernon wrote:
I always turn it on if there's an option. I thought it was
great on the MEF
If your photographing something like a flat object using a
tripod it's re-assuring to hear the beep without looking
also it sometimes works with BIF... press the shutter as
soon as you hear the beep!
Also true if you are photographing something like an aircraft moving very quickly as you don't have to "take your eye off the ball" to look at the bottom of the display when you are trying to keep the lens pointed at the plane!
I always turn it on if there's an option. I thought it was
great on the MEF
If your photographing something like a flat object using a
tripod it's re-assuring to hear the beep without looking
also it sometimes works with BIF... press the shutter as
soon as you hear the beep!
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Posted 12/11/2012 - 13:39
Link
Sorry to revisit this, but I'm having problems
K-30 with hoya 135/2.8 manual lens and in either M or Av mode and I'm getting 'F--' flashing and cant take pics.
What do I need to do?
K-30 with hoya 135/2.8 manual lens and in either M or Av mode and I'm getting 'F--' flashing and cant take pics.
What do I need to do?
Posted 12/11/2012 - 13:50
Link
Actually - think I've found it.
option to use aperture ring. well hidden. things now happening
option to use aperture ring. well hidden. things now happening
Posted 12/11/2012 - 13:55
Link
You probably don't have the 'use aperture' option enabled.
Press the Menu button
Using the buttons on the four-way controller on the back of the camera, navigate to the [C Custom Setting 4] menu.
Navigate to [23 Using Aperture Ring] and select [Enable]. Press the OK button and then the Menu button to exit.
That should solve it.
Not sure if your lens has an A setting or not, If not you also need to:
Using the buttons on the four-way controller on the back of the camera, navigate to the [Rec. Mode 4] menu, select [E-Dial Programming]. Press the right button twice on the four-way controller.
Press the down button to highlight the line beginning with “M” and press the right button on the four-way controller. Highlight [P Line] and press the right button on the four-way controller. Highlight [Tv Shift] and press the OK button. Press the Menu button three times to exit the menu.
(This setting allows easy and accurate exposure metering using older lenses without an "A" setting on the aperture ring. When the Green button is pressed in Manual exposure mode, the lens "stops down", the camera's meter measures the light passing through the lens, and an appropriate shutter speed is automatically set based on that measurement).
If it's an 'M' lens I think you can only use it in manual mode, not AV. Haven't got round to using my manual lenses on the K-30 yet, but that was the case with the K-r
Press the Menu button
Using the buttons on the four-way controller on the back of the camera, navigate to the [C Custom Setting 4] menu.
Navigate to [23 Using Aperture Ring] and select [Enable]. Press the OK button and then the Menu button to exit.
That should solve it.
Not sure if your lens has an A setting or not, If not you also need to:
Using the buttons on the four-way controller on the back of the camera, navigate to the [Rec. Mode 4] menu, select [E-Dial Programming]. Press the right button twice on the four-way controller.
Press the down button to highlight the line beginning with “M” and press the right button on the four-way controller. Highlight [P Line] and press the right button on the four-way controller. Highlight [Tv Shift] and press the OK button. Press the Menu button three times to exit the menu.
(This setting allows easy and accurate exposure metering using older lenses without an "A" setting on the aperture ring. When the Green button is pressed in Manual exposure mode, the lens "stops down", the camera's meter measures the light passing through the lens, and an appropriate shutter speed is automatically set based on that measurement).
If it's an 'M' lens I think you can only use it in manual mode, not AV. Haven't got round to using my manual lenses on the K-30 yet, but that was the case with the K-r
Posted 12/11/2012 - 14:04
Link
Excellent!
Thank you, Sir!
It is indeed a fully manual lens (no A) so that setting the green button stuff sorts it. I was just starting to wonder if I was limited to wide open on this lens. Thats effectively making M mode an Av mode isn't it?
I do like the clarity you get with a nice old lens.
Thank you, Sir!
It is indeed a fully manual lens (no A) so that setting the green button stuff sorts it. I was just starting to wonder if I was limited to wide open on this lens. Thats effectively making M mode an Av mode isn't it?
I do like the clarity you get with a nice old lens.
Posted 12/11/2012 - 14:24
Link
blob wrote:
Excellent!
Thank you, Sir!
It is indeed a fully manual lens (no A) so that setting the green button stuff sorts it. I was just starting to wonder if I was limited to wide open on this lens. Thats effectively making M mode an Av mode isn't it?
I do like the clarity you get with a nice old lens.
It is, though you sometimes have to take the stop down metering with a pinch of salt. It's more of a guideline than an accurate metering, but once you accept the limitations it's fine.
Excellent!
Thank you, Sir!
It is indeed a fully manual lens (no A) so that setting the green button stuff sorts it. I was just starting to wonder if I was limited to wide open on this lens. Thats effectively making M mode an Av mode isn't it?
I do like the clarity you get with a nice old lens.
Posted 21/11/2012 - 01:36
Link
Regarding the manual focus problems if you get a K-01 then you get focus peaking and manual focus is a breeze, quick and accurate, and you can see how much DOF you've got and the effect stopping down gives you.
Chris
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


8880 posts
16 years
Lancashire
great on the MEF
If your photographing something like a flat object using a
tripod it's re-assuring to hear the beep without looking
also it sometimes works with BIF... press the shutter as
soon as you hear the beep!
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi