Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Old England Fall

Ammonyte
Posted 31/10/2007 - 22:37 Link
It's getting pretty colourful over here in the "old" country!

Comment Image

An HDR image from a bracket of five shots from 3 secs to 1/80 @ F16 @ ISO100, K10D, 16-45mm DA and polariser.

If you like that, there's a few more on my Picasaweb gallery!
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
johnriley
Posted 31/10/2007 - 22:46 Link
I like that image very much.
Best regards, John
niblue
Posted 01/11/2007 - 11:56 Link
There is something peaceful and relaxing about that image - very nice.
pnjmcc
Posted 01/11/2007 - 12:08 Link
[quote="Ammonyte"]An HDR image from a bracket of five shots from 3 secs to 1/80 @ F16 @ ISO100, K10D, 16-45mm DA and polariser.
[quote]

Its certainly a nice image and pleasing to look at.

But what does HDR Image mean ?

Regards
PaulM
All cameras are equal but.....
Some are more equal than others
Mannesty
Posted 01/11/2007 - 13:54 Link
HDR - High Dynamic Range

This simply means that within the composition, the shadows are very dark and the highlights are very bright. To expose each end of the range correctly, a number of shots are taken, then bits from each make up the final image.

PhaseOne's CaptureOne version 4 Beta 2 is available and has some HDR capability. Otherwise, checkout Artizen.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
ChrisA
Posted 01/11/2007 - 14:19 Link
johnriley wrote:

I do too.

I think it's the most natural looking HDR shot I've seen.
pnjmcc
Posted 02/11/2007 - 11:31 Link
Thanks Mannesty,

Is it not possible to get similar when shoting on film then ?
I take it the sky would be over exposed and the shadows too dark ?

Regards
PaulM
All cameras are equal but.....
Some are more equal than others
Clarky
Posted 02/11/2007 - 11:35 Link
Thanks for the link Mannesty i am going to give it a try
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
gartmore
Posted 02/11/2007 - 11:39 Link
johnriley wrote:

Me too and its one of the most natural looking HDR images I've seen
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
MattMatic
Posted 02/11/2007 - 12:04 Link
Just to add...
HDR in Capture One 4 is a bit like the Dynamic Range settings in Silkypix. It doesn't actually give you any more dynamic range from the CCD - just squishes the top/bottom of the histogram to squeeze more into the output.

With Artizen, and "proper" HDR techniques, you are capturing a set of exposures that represent a very, very wide range of exposures. Artizen does an excellent job of creating a stack of the RAW or TIFF files and blending them into a 32-bit per pixel HDR image.

Once in a 32-bit image (which is so huge that nothing can display or print the range) you need to do a "Tone Map" which is a complex piece of maths and algorithms to do what our brains do naturally - squeeze that huge range into an image that somehow looks natural.
The tone mapped output is then 16/8 bit per pixel ready for printing/display.

The skill comes in handling the tone mapping
Too aggressive and it'll look "cartoony". Too weak and you'll not get the range into the output image.
(Just to add that because of the image sizes involved it is a very time consuming and memory hungry process!)

The above example is a great one showing that it's possible to get really natural results from HDR Well done
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
fatspider
Posted 02/11/2007 - 12:52 Link
Nice one Tim
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Lilly
Posted 02/11/2007 - 19:06 Link
very very nice from me also...
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,
Ammonyte
Posted 02/11/2007 - 20:45 Link
Thank you all for the positive responses. It was when I saw the mossy bank, I thought "Aha! There's a shot here".

For anyone intererested in HDR try this link http://tutorialblog.org/hdr-tutorials-roundup it was sent to me by another snapper on Ephotozine and has been my starting point for an investigation on HDR.

I was out today shooting some more images, and my other PC is currently grinding it's way through processing them (Matt is right, it ties up your machine!) The colours this year have been as good as any year I can remember. My main disapointment is that Virginia Water and Windsor Great Park are still closed due to foot and mouth - but they may re-open next week.

P.S. went past 10,000 shots on the K10D today!
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
Mannesty
Posted 02/11/2007 - 20:45 Link
pnjmcc wrote:
Thanks Mannesty,

Is it not possible to get similar when shoting on film then ?
I take it the sky would be over exposed and the shadows too dark ?

Regards
PaulM

I'm no film expert, but . . . I believe that film can capture a higher dynamic range than DSLR's can anyway. You can of course reproduce the bracketed shots with film, but what would be the point if you can't use parts of each frame to produce a natural looking final result.

Imagine a scene where you have a blue sky, white clouds, pure white virgin snow on the ground and a black cat in the doorway of a coal cellar.

With film and digital, you can take a number of frames to correctly expose each part of the scene (the sky, snow, cat etc). Parts of each digital image can be used to produce a viewable final result. I've no idea what use the film shots would be, unless you were to scan them, then treat them the same as for digital.

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging for a more detailed explanation.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Ammonyte
Posted 02/11/2007 - 20:49 Link
Mannesty wrote:
I've no idea what use the film shots would be, unless you were to scan them, then treat them the same as for digital.

I believe something similar has been successfully applied to photographs taken by astronomers.
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.