Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Old Asahi Pentax

Posted 11/01/2012 - 18:00 Link
Hello all.

I wondered if anyone could help please.

I have been left an old Asahi Pentax Spotmatic II camera which comes in a beautiful leather case containing various lenses again, in leather cases. Everything looks so well made etc but it's all over my head. Would anyone know if this is something someone would buy?

Thanks,

John
cbrog
Posted 11/01/2012 - 19:52 - Helpful Comment Link
I am sure someone will be interested John, but you will need to list what the lenses are - the info is usually printed around the front of most lenses.

Regards
Roger
AndrewA
Posted 11/01/2012 - 20:16 - Helpful Comment Link
You'll also need to list in the classified forums John, some pics will also help.
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
Posted 11/01/2012 - 20:28 Link
Thanks Guys.

I will take a few snaps and look at lenses. I can't believe how everything looks so well made with such detail. Has been left to me by late father but can't remember him useing it.

Cheers,

John
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 11/01/2012 - 22:07 Link
I'm eager to find out what treasures you have there now.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Posted 12/01/2012 - 11:00 Link
The lenses together with several various other things which I do not have a clue about are, 1.3.5./28, 58mm, auto teleplus 2x-3x, 1.1.8/55.
Have taken several pics but am having problems uploading them on here.

Cheers
Posted 12/01/2012 - 11:09 Link
Looks like pic is in Gallery
fatspider
Posted 12/01/2012 - 13:00 - Helpful Comment Link
Quote:
Have taken several pics but am having problems uploading them on here.

You can only upload images to the main gallery John, for displaying images in forum threads you are better off opening a Flickr or Photobucket account, save your image there and post a link to them in your posts.

How to do it is posted as a "sticky" at the top of the Your Photo's section, its easy once you get the hang of it.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Posted 12/01/2012 - 14:18 Link
Cheers Alan
Posted 12/01/2012 - 18:11 Link
I have listed all the camera and lenses on Ebay starting at 20 quid. Am I away with the fairies here. I don't know anything about cameras but I can't help but admire everything in this large case. The camera and lenses appear so well made and the attention to detail is superb.

Thanks for all your help.
jeffstclair
Posted 12/01/2012 - 18:36 - Helpful Comment Link
Hi john , You know you can sell pentax stuff on this site, make a list of the lenses and other kit you have to sell and post on the classified forum,with some photos if you can via a hosting site like flicker or photobucket.. or maybe start to use the kit you have inherited ... load the spotmatic with film and ..... you will be hooked ... we have been... jeff... (from the way you talk about the quality of the kit you are halfway there)
Posted 12/01/2012 - 18:56 Link
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that. Am pretty good at tennis and was very good at Rugby. Technology is a very difficult thing for me. Uploaded 1 pic on here but site says only one a day. I named the lenses and camera which all look like new to me. Everything fits and moves so well. To be honest, most of the stuff is way over my head.

Cheers,

John
sashax
Posted 13/01/2012 - 08:44 Link
Would these be compatible with modern cameras (e.g. K5)? It looks like there are some filters in there too.
doingthebobs
Posted 13/01/2012 - 09:13 Link
The Spotmatic lenses will be an M42 mounting, that's a 42mm screw thread. All Pentax cameras since the Spotmatic use a bayonet mount, Pentax K or PK mount.

You can use the older M42 mount lenses on the PK mount cameras by using a mount adapter like this link. (You can sometimes pick them up second hand cheaper than this but the genuine pentax is generally best)

That's one of the advantages of the Pentax cameras, with the adapter you can use almost every SLR lens Pentax have ever produced on the latest Pentax cameras although there are some limitations. Obviously the auto focus will not work and you can only use the camera in manual exposure mode with the M42 lenses.
Bob
petrochemist
Posted 13/01/2012 - 09:42 Link
sashax wrote:
Would these be compatible with modern cameras (e.g. K5)? It looks like there are some filters in there too.

Pentax cameras are particularly good at legacy support (provided the 'use aperture ring' option in the menus has been turned on). All PK(bayonet) lenses can be used without an adapter, older screw mount lenses such as these M42 lenses require an adapter but otherwise have no problems (Fully manual aperture/focus obviously). Many of the cheaper adapters have a flange that, moves the lens further away and thus prevents infinity focus - Pentax made adapters (typically ~£35) all avoid this, as do some of the third party ones (from ~£5).

T2 lenses and Tamron adaptall series lenses are also easy to use with standard adapters - They are designed to be used with adapters on a wide range of cameras.

The camera dosen't need any links top the lens and doesn't even have problems if you just hold a lens a little way in front of the opening. Dust might easily get on your sensor doing this though but it's not difficult to jury rig a solution to that.

The filters are probably less useful - nearly all the older filters are eaisly replicated digitally many just by setting the appropriate white balance on the camera (Auto white balance usually does this fine). In fact the white balance will often effectivly remove the changes the filter introduces (other than flare from reflections, blur for dirt/scratches...) About the only common filter from film days that is still worth use is the polariser and many modern cameras have problems if a linear polariser is used (as most of the older ones are).
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].FlickrWPFPanoramio

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.