Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Oh no! Not another new printer question!

Gwyn
Posted 21/10/2017 - 21:25 Link
Yes I'm afraid so folks.

My old printer died several months ago, and whilst I can print off documents on His Nib's printer I miss printing out the odd photo to pin on my wall so I am hoping to get myself a printer.
Good photo printing is important, no more than an A4, as I sadly don't have the room for anything bigger, price up to a couple of hundred pound I guess. Ink cartridges that last well so I am not constantly forking out a fortune on the things would be a plus (as would be the ability to use third party cartridges).
All suggestions welcome.
Thanks
pschlute
Posted 21/10/2017 - 21:33 Link
Unless you need a printer for your other computer work why bother with one at all

I have recently had some prints produced by labs and the cost of the prints themselves are very small. Around 70pence for a 12x8 print. Find a lab that requires you to size your files to the correct pixel size for the print size and the cost is minimal
Gwyn
Posted 21/10/2017 - 22:04 Link
I have thought of that, but basically that doesn't work for me. Using the printing services here, by the time I have added postal costs it becomes an expensive option, unless I bulk print, which I don't want or need to do.
RobL
Posted 21/10/2017 - 23:08 Link
There are just two A4 ranges, Epson Expression and Canon Pixma, both with a few models, all under £200. Take a look at a photography retailer site like Park Cameras to see the different models, basically the more inks it has the better. Also a couple have an extra cartridge to improve black and white rendition but lose one of the colour ones so it depends on whether that is your thing. The Epson Expression 960 might also be worth a look at £229 as it is not much larger than an A4 printer but can manage A3.

A couple of nice things about printing your own, you get to experiment with different papers and it completes the creative process in a more satisfying way than a postal service.
Mike-P
Posted 21/10/2017 - 23:31 Link
One thing I will say is that I currently have a Canon printer (Pixma) and so far it has lasted 3 times longer than the Epson I had before it.
Also the Canon is a lot less prone to gunking up the print head when using third party cartridges.
Posted 22/10/2017 - 10:24 Link
I used to have an Epson R800 which was a great printer but it had to go as it blocked up so often it became a huge pita! I now have a Canon Pixma iP7250 which is as good at printing photos as the Epson was IMHO and so far has not had any issues with blocked nozzles. I think mine coast around £50 a while ago and it is wireless as well as USB. Currently £49 at Argos.

Stuart
swarf
Posted 22/10/2017 - 10:41 Link
I also had an Epsom R800 and it ended up with clogged heads and had to go. I replaced it with a Canon iP8750 (A3+) printer and very pleased with the results. More reliable than the Epsom IMHO.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link
pschlute
Posted 22/10/2017 - 11:56 Link
broadstairs wrote:
I used to have an Epson R800 which was a great printer but it had to go as it blocked up so often it became a huge pita! I now have a Canon Pixma iP7250 which is as good at printing photos as the Epson was IMHO and so far has not had any issues with blocked nozzles. I think mine coast around £50 a while ago and it is wireless as well as USB. Currently £49 at Argos.

Stuart

That Canon sounds a very good printer for the price. How do these printers compare to say a photo produced in a lab by DSColour Labs or ProAm imaging for example ?
RobL
Posted 22/10/2017 - 14:19 Link
Pschlute, it depends on how many cartridges the printer has, I am guessing that only the more expensive models will be comparable. Having just bought a mid range Epson SureColor P400 I am willing to bet the results are as good as a lab; the paper also makes a difference which you have more control over, I use high white gloss for punchy colour and a matt white baryta paper which renders misty seascapes and the like beautifully. I can do a trial print on a 4x6” first before the final larger print and I am not waiting for the post every time.

The reason I picked Epson over Canon is that it is slightly smaller and fits neatly into the recess in my storage unit! I think the cartridges are slightly cheaper as well but not much in it.

Ps one of the reasons for clogging is dust, instructions say to always close the printer up after use and keep covered if not being used for a while. Also clean the rollers as papers deposit fine fibres apparently.
Edited by RobL: 22/10/2017 - 14:24
Posted 22/10/2017 - 21:57 Link
Well for £49 you cannot expect top quality prints like you get from a top photo lab print but for me they are quite acceptable, it has CMYK photo cartridges and an extra black for normal text type printing and you can get the XL cartridges which hold a bit more ink for not much more than the standard ones. I also like the fact you have two internal paper trays and the ability to print CD/DVDs as well, although unlike the R800 it does not print on paper rolls. I normally use Canon paper and some prints have been on our conservatory wall now for a couple of years (in glass fronted frames) with no obvious fading.

Stuart
pschlute
Posted 22/10/2017 - 22:49 Link
Thanks Stuart, it gets good reviews and at that price you can hardly go wrong. I think Gwyn has her answer, and I think i might add it to my xmas pressie list too !
Algernon
Posted 23/10/2017 - 08:40 Link
The PIXMA IP7250 is only £42.49 Amazon Prime

For anyone printing onto CD/DVD's see the answer on the Amazon site about downloading older software that has more functions. Also `SureThing Disc Labeler Gold 6' works OK.

I still use the old Canon iP4500. Never had any clogged heads etc.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
tyronet2000
Posted 23/10/2017 - 09:46 Link
I looked at the cost of postage for different (and recommended) labs and unless ordering bulk I thought the cost was going way over the top. Ok if you have a lot of like minded friends send prints but now we have printer for use of at our camera club and one of the members has done a course etc. Basically boils down to high quality ink and paper for which you have the calibration. I still used my cacon 6550 which can print up to A3+ size cheap paer from DPD and inks from Stinky Ink and am happy with the results.
Regards
Stan

PPG
Gwyn
Posted 24/10/2017 - 18:55 Link
Thank for the replies everyone. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, family circumstances got/are getting in the way.
I will look into the Canons (wash my mouth out with soap) and see what I can find here.
jeallen01
Posted 24/10/2017 - 20:25 Link
tyronet2000 wrote:

I still used my cacon 6550 which can print up to A3+ size cheap paer from DPD and inks from Stinky Ink and am happy with the results.

Thinking about some refillable cartridges for my oldish Pixma MX895 (never a clogging problem with that or the earlier MP640 ), which produces good results with OEM Canon cartridges - but then there is the issue of which bulk inks to use. So, I would appreciate comments on the inks from Stinkyinks, and other suppliers?
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.