Now a Pentax owner

techno-terminator
Posted 25/11/2009 - 13:21 Link
I've done it - bought a K-X though it won't be in my sweaty little paws till next week

This deal was too good to miss and it was all processed yesterday with despatch then.

Tracking says it will be delivered in about 3 hours time

me has my Pentax me has my Pentax me has my Pentax me has my Pentax

OH - forgot the link - though this may be an Internet only deal

http://www.adorama.com/IPXKXBK1B.html?searchinfo=Pentax+K-x
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
davex
Posted 25/11/2009 - 13:27 Link
Congratulations, am sure you will not regret it. Now what about some Lenses : Am sure you will get plenty of advise here.

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
techno-terminator
Posted 25/11/2009 - 13:34 Link
Well - yes - lenses are on the need to acquire list - along with a flash

BUT it's going to have to wait for a while

I can learn to use the camera as it is - the 18-55 lens should do me for quite a while.

Tried an *istD with the 18-55 on it - weightwise that's fine , I can tell the difference with the 50-200 so anything physically bigger than that is out .

I've time - but am open to suggestions
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Anvh
Posted 25/11/2009 - 13:34 Link
So exciting
Enjoy it.

technoidiot wrote:
Tried an *istD with the 18-55 on it - weightwise that's fine , I can tell the difference with the 50-200 so anything physically bigger than that is out.
You've a problem then... only limited lenses for you it seems, excellent choice though.

I'm looking at the zooms now.
The DA50-200 is only 35grams heavier then the DA18-55 the rest are all almost double that weight.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 25/11/2009 - 13:40
techno-terminator
Posted 25/11/2009 - 13:40 Link
I don't go in for wildlife photography so really shouldn't need a huge telephoto lens .

I'll experiment with the kit lens quite happily.

This coming year is a get-to-grips with it , find out what sort of things I really enjoy photographing and then look at lenses . I can't see me really buying anything else before the end of 2010 . Then I'll be looking for another Black Friday deal
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
techno-terminator
Posted 25/11/2009 - 15:45 Link
Mind you - I'm being egged on to keep on looking and shopping , from the USA at present .

Goodness only knows what I'll be coming back with now .

I thought the goodies from the Adorama deal would be sufficient - oh well

the next 2 weeks will tell
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
viewfinder
Posted 25/11/2009 - 15:57 Link
So how much duty and VAT are you going to have to pay on that then?
techno-terminator
Posted 25/11/2009 - 16:00 Link
ssssssssssh - I'm not thinking about that
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Anvh
Posted 25/11/2009 - 16:59 Link
My uncle has just ordered his K-X with twin kit lenses (DA50-200) for €619,-
They didn't had it in the shop so they have ordered it and he can aspect it to have it next week.

Will put it under some test if I've the change, the DFA100mm should be able to pull out all of the quality of the sensor.

Can only compare it with the K10D though but I'm sure we have some K20D users here with the DFA100.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
RichardDay
Posted 25/11/2009 - 17:24 Link
technoidiot wrote:
ssssssssssh - I'm not thinking about that
Looks like a good deal with all those extra goodies!

Budget on around 20% to 25% on top of the item cost & shipping charges, to cover VAT, duty and handling.

That will make it around £560 all in, that's still a very good deal.
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link
Anvh
Posted 25/11/2009 - 17:46 Link
Then again Pentax have the cashback offer now making it £619 for the K-X with DA18-55 and DA55-300 is also a very good deal.

Pentax USA don't have this action so you will miss out.
They do however have an action with the K7 giving back $100 for every lens you buy with it at the same time. USA residence only.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
thoughton
Posted 25/11/2009 - 17:47 Link
I thought there was some discussion about this recently? Someone mentioned some odd rule that digital still cameras attracted 0% duty but digital video cameras paid 5% or something? But since the K-X does video no one knew what customs would do.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
imagesteve
Posted 25/11/2009 - 17:47 Link
Welcome to the extraordinary leaque of PENTAX users. Try to get a FA 28-200 3.8-5.6. Lovely versatile lens. Sharp like a Minora blade...
2x K10D bodies, 2x FA 28-200 3.8-5.6, DA 18-55, A 50 F2, 50mm Macro, 360 FGZ. Still saving for the 60-250 DA* Also have a Z10 35mm and a K1000 just for fun. IF PENTAX IS THE ANSWER, WHO CARES WHAT THE QUESTION IS...!
Quote:
RichardDay
Posted 25/11/2009 - 18:08 Link
imagesteve wrote:
Welcome to the extraordinary leaque of PENTAX users. Try to get a FA 28-200 3.8-5.6. Lovely versatile lens. Sharp like a Minora blade...
Wow! - You must have the only sharp sample of that lens!

It was a rebranded Tamron 28-200 and usually scores very low on the "happiness" scale!

Users on Photozone gave it a satisfation rating of only 0.78 out of 5.
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link
techno-terminator
Posted 25/11/2009 - 18:15 Link
OK - now remember I'm learning

Quote:
Try to get a FA 28-200 3.8-5.6. Lovely versatile lens. Sharp like a Minora blade...
K - as my very limited knowledge takes me - the 28 - 200 is focal length

my lens [ the only one at present is] 18-55 - so that take me a bit further away if I've understood correctly - the 28-200 is between the 18-55 and the 55-200.

I'm finding this hard to explain but I think I've got it - it would give me better cover for telephoto than with the 18-55 .

Now where does Aperture fit in with that ?
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo