Northumberland Coast

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 09:49
Happy New Year all... thought I'd post these, a sort of North East retrospective of 2019. Last year, I made a big effort to get up to the coast of Northumberland as often as I could. As many of you'll know, the area around Holy Island, Bamburgh, Seahouses, Beadnell and Craster is a bit of a spiritual homeland for pretty much anyone born within 50 miles of it. It's also the stretch of coastline I chose when Pentax asked me to help put together a short film this time last year, so you might recognise one or two of the pics from that.

For my money, it remains one of the most beautiful, and unspoiled, places in the country, often overlooked on the dash up the A1 to Edinburgh and beyond. There's nothing quite like it. Add a lifetime of memories of tomato soup, terry towelling parkas, and huddling in the sand dunes in the rain, and it's nigh on unbeatable.

The place I keep getting drawn back to is Budle Bay... we didn't visit it much as kids... a bit trickier to get to than the big ticket beaches nearby... but... big sand, open space, which particularly on a low tide, seems to go on for ever... even in high summer. If you're prepared to walk for a bit, it can feel like you have the whole place pretty much entirely to yourself.

These, then, are from a number of visits over 2019. Sunrises, sunsets, mornings, evenings, and pretty much every lighting state in between. I have another couple of sets, one black and white, which I'll post in a bit. All taken with the Pentax K-1Ii, and various lenses, including the DFA 15-30mm, DFA 24-70mm, and PLM 55-300mm.

1. Budle Bay. Blue dawn. Bamburgh Castle far distance.

2. Stag Rocks, Bamburgh. Unexpected waterfall driven by incoming tide.

3. Bamburgh Castle, late afternoon. As seen from Stag Rocks.

4. Holy Island Castle, as seen from Picnic Bay.

5. Driftwood, Picnic Bay. Sunset.

6. Holy Island Castle, Sunset. As seen from Picnic Bay.

7. Dawn, Stag Rocks. Farne Islands far distance.

8. Early morning, Stag Rocks. Farne Islands far distance.

9. Holy Island Castle, as seen from Budle Bay.

10. Holy Island Castle, as seen from Picnic Bay.

11. Bamburgh Castle sunrise, as seen from Budle Bay.

12. Budle Bay, sand.

13. Budle Bay, more sand.

14. Budle Bay, sunset. Holy Island far distance.

15. Budle Bay, afternoon. Holy Island far distance.

16. Budle Bay, sand and snow pattern.

17. Budle Bay, sand patterns. Holy Island far distance.

18. Budle Bay. Incoming. Bamburgh Castle far distance.

All thoughts, comments, observations etc. v welcome as ever.

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

LennyBloke

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 10:21
That's not a set of photos....

...that's the official Northumberland Coast Calendar

Beautiful, natural, breath-taking - a great advert for Pentax and Northumberland
LennyBloke

rickhanson

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 10:29
Superb set Bill and great write up!

Northumberland is a seascape photographer's paradise, so peaceful most of the time, although Bamburgh & Seahouses are buzzing on a summers day!

Wish I lived nearer, 3 hours up the A1 but well worth it for out of season mini breaks where I thoroughly enjoy the tranquility.

Rick

RobL

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 11:25
A great set evoking the wide open atmosphere up there, a long drive for me alas but last visited a year ago and loved it.
Last Edited by RobL on 13/01/2020 - 11:25

Nigelk

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 11:29
I'm in complete agreement with LennyBloke and Rick.
Beautiful work
Nigel

vic cross

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 11:49
Fantastic set. The name Budle Bay brings back memories of the 1950's when I used to go to watch motorcycle "Sand racing" on the beach. Happy Days.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

OldTaffy

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 16:04
"Happy New Year" is most appropriate! Astonishing set of images, very moving.

Getting out of bed long before I do has repaid you very well.

Congrats,

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

Chrism8

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 16:12
Superb set, excellent quality of photography and processing, #4 #10 and #15 For me
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.

johnriley

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 16:33
Gorgeous, stunning images! It's a fantastic part of the country, full of great opportunities and never too crowded.

You obviously love the area Bill and it shines through in the images.
Best regards, John

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 16:34
Beautiful set of photos of my favourite area of the country. Always love the view of Bamburgh from Stag Rocks.
Paul

K1000, istD, K70

womble

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 17:12
Some stunning images there. I think No. 4 is my favourite as it has a slightly unusual composition and I love the colour palette. I'd probably pick another one tomorrow...

I remember visiting the area when I was an undergraduate over thirty years ago, but have never had the chance since. I ought to get back!

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

pschlute

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 19:37
Lovely work as usual Bill.
Peter

My Flickr page

bjolester

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 22:47
Superb photography! Thank you for sharing.
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

davidwozhere

Link Posted 14/01/2020 - 00:45
Wonderful piece of coastline and you have really done it justice.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 14/01/2020 - 18:27
Thanks John L, Rick, Rob, Nigel, Vic, Martin, Chris, John R, Paul, Kris, Bjorn, Peter, David for thoughts and general positivity re these... it’s been a real treat to spend so much time back in the North East...

Vic, very interesting, did they race motorbikes back in the day on Budle Bay? Hadn’t heard that before, so wld be v interested to know if you have a mo...

Thanks again all...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.