Northumberland Coast
Posted 13/01/2020 - 10:21
Link
That's not a set of photos....
...that's the official Northumberland Coast Calendar
Beautiful, natural, breath-taking - a great advert for Pentax and Northumberland
...that's the official Northumberland Coast Calendar
Beautiful, natural, breath-taking - a great advert for Pentax and Northumberland
LennyBloke
Posted 13/01/2020 - 10:29
Link
Superb set Bill and great write up!
Northumberland is a seascape photographer's paradise, so peaceful most of the time, although Bamburgh & Seahouses are buzzing on a summers day!
Wish I lived nearer, 3 hours up the A1 but well worth it for out of season mini breaks where I thoroughly enjoy the tranquility.
Rick
Northumberland is a seascape photographer's paradise, so peaceful most of the time, although Bamburgh & Seahouses are buzzing on a summers day!
Wish I lived nearer, 3 hours up the A1 but well worth it for out of season mini breaks where I thoroughly enjoy the tranquility.
Rick
Adapting Pentax-M Series Lenses
Posted 13/01/2020 - 11:25
Link
A great set evoking the wide open atmosphere up there, a long drive for me alas but last visited a year ago and loved it.
Posted 13/01/2020 - 11:29
Link
I'm in complete agreement with LennyBloke and Rick.
Beautiful work
Nigel
Beautiful work
Nigel
Posted 13/01/2020 - 11:49
Link
Fantastic set. The name Budle Bay brings back memories of the 1950's when I used to go to watch motorcycle "Sand racing" on the beach. Happy Days.
CHEERS Vic.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Posted 13/01/2020 - 16:12
Link
Superb set, excellent quality of photography and processing, #4 #10 and #15 For me
Chris
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Posted 13/01/2020 - 16:33
Link
Gorgeous, stunning images! It's a fantastic part of the country, full of great opportunities and never too crowded.
You obviously love the area Bill and it shines through in the images.
You obviously love the area Bill and it shines through in the images.
Best regards, John
Posted 13/01/2020 - 16:34
Link
Beautiful set of photos of my favourite area of the country. Always love the view of Bamburgh from Stag Rocks.
Paul
K1000, Espio 140, ist, istD, K70, K3iii and numerous lenses, just don't tell my wife.
K1000, Espio 140, ist, istD, K70, K3iii and numerous lenses, just don't tell my wife.
Posted 13/01/2020 - 17:12
Link
Some stunning images there. I think No. 4 is my favourite as it has a slightly unusual composition and I love the colour palette. I'd probably pick another one tomorrow...
I remember visiting the area when I was an undergraduate over thirty years ago, but have never had the chance since. I ought to get back!
Cheers, Kris.
I remember visiting the area when I was an undergraduate over thirty years ago, but have never had the chance since. I ought to get back!
Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 14/01/2020 - 00:45
Link
Wonderful piece of coastline and you have really done it justice.
Posted 14/01/2020 - 18:27
Link
Thanks John L, Rick, Rob, Nigel, Vic, Martin, Chris, John R, Paul, Kris, Bjorn, Peter, David for thoughts and general positivity re these... it’s been a real treat to spend so much time back in the North East...
Vic, very interesting, did they race motorbikes back in the day on Budle Bay? Hadn’t heard that before, so wld be v interested to know if you have a mo...
Thanks again all...
Best
Vic, very interesting, did they race motorbikes back in the day on Budle Bay? Hadn’t heard that before, so wld be v interested to know if you have a mo...
Thanks again all...
Best
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1357 posts
14 years
For my money, it remains one of the most beautiful, and unspoiled, places in the country, often overlooked on the dash up the A1 to Edinburgh and beyond. There's nothing quite like it. Add a lifetime of memories of tomato soup, terry towelling parkas, and huddling in the sand dunes in the rain, and it's nigh on unbeatable.
The place I keep getting drawn back to is Budle Bay... we didn't visit it much as kids... a bit trickier to get to than the big ticket beaches nearby... but... big sand, open space, which particularly on a low tide, seems to go on for ever... even in high summer. If you're prepared to walk for a bit, it can feel like you have the whole place pretty much entirely to yourself.
These, then, are from a number of visits over 2019. Sunrises, sunsets, mornings, evenings, and pretty much every lighting state in between. I have another couple of sets, one black and white, which I'll post in a bit. All taken with the Pentax K-1Ii, and various lenses, including the DFA 15-30mm, DFA 24-70mm, and PLM 55-300mm.
1. Budle Bay. Blue dawn. Bamburgh Castle far distance.
2. Stag Rocks, Bamburgh. Unexpected waterfall driven by incoming tide.
3. Bamburgh Castle, late afternoon. As seen from Stag Rocks.
4. Holy Island Castle, as seen from Picnic Bay.
5. Driftwood, Picnic Bay. Sunset.
6. Holy Island Castle, Sunset. As seen from Picnic Bay.
7. Dawn, Stag Rocks. Farne Islands far distance.
8. Early morning, Stag Rocks. Farne Islands far distance.
9. Holy Island Castle, as seen from Budle Bay.
10. Holy Island Castle, as seen from Picnic Bay.
11. Bamburgh Castle sunrise, as seen from Budle Bay.
12. Budle Bay, sand.
13. Budle Bay, more sand.
14. Budle Bay, sunset. Holy Island far distance.
15. Budle Bay, afternoon. Holy Island far distance.
16. Budle Bay, sand and snow pattern.
17. Budle Bay, sand patterns. Holy Island far distance.
18. Budle Bay. Incoming. Bamburgh Castle far distance.
All thoughts, comments, observations etc. v welcome as ever.
Best
Immersive
BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook