Northumberland Coast

davidtrout

Link Posted 14/01/2020 - 19:41
Just seen these Bill. As always some stunning photography from you which captures the magic of England's most northerly county and also, arguably, its most appealing. But then I'm biased, I was born in Newcastle where I spent much of my working life.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

Sry

Link Posted 14/01/2020 - 20:44
Fine landscapes as usual, Bill, in a rather eclectic set here. I particularly appreciate the colours and textures of 1, ice-like, almost polar-feeling (there's an echo of this in 11). The spreading out of the water in a circular pattern catches the eye in 2, with the somewhat incongruous white stag looking on. 3 seems to play on asymmetry, with the sinewing path to the castle contradicting the vanishing point between the rocks to the left. 8 is dark and stark, a brooding invitation. And many imaginings appear in the abstractness of 16. My favourites, however: 9, 12-15, 17 and 18, all very subtle in composition, texture and colour, closer to the more 'meditative' side of your photography which I really admire (along with your adventurous ICM images - which are often quite trance-inducing themselves).

vic cross

Link Posted 15/01/2020 - 09:56
Morning Bill. Yes they raced motorbikes on the sand at Budle Bay back in the 50's. They set out a track approx 1/2 mile long (1 mile) circuit. and raced round and round it almost the same as speedway. No I don't ride any more. I had to give up my motorbike last year due to age (81) and health reasons.
Hi David. I too was born in Newcastle when the maternity hospital was on City Rd. I lived the first 7 yrs. in Lemington on Tyne then moved to South Shields. I spent many happy days hiking cycling YHAing camping and motorcycling all over the north east and north west (Lake District) I moved to Kettering in 1969 for work and have been here ever since. I wasn't into photography in those days so no photographic memories just all in my head.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

bforbes

Link Posted 15/01/2020 - 10:25
Very Nice. Are the Durham Dales up next
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 15/01/2020 - 21:30
Thanks David, Serge, Vic and Barrie... much appreciated, as ever...

Serge, thanks for thoughts re the series... yes, well spotted re 1 and 11... different states, times and tides of the same sunrise... know what you mean too re the more "meditative" shots... the kind of a thing that starts to happen after you've been out for a while and you start to get properly in the zone... less "of" and more "about" if you see what I mean...

Vic, thanks so much for the additional info... I had absolutely no idea about that... fascinating stuff... can imagine it too... must have been quite a sight...

Barrie and David... yes, you were both mentioned in dispatches last night up at Stanhope PS (had a good natter with one of your co-members from Durham)... hope you're both keeping well... very much hope we can fix something for Durham PS for next year... fingers crossed...

Thanks again all and best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 18/01/2020 - 22:49
Bill these are really, really well done.

We spent a week in Bamburgh last year, the first time I have been there since I were a nipper. Your pictures are great examples of the magic of the North East coastal area and are giving me a "calling" to get back there soon.

As you say, Budle Bay is something special and is normally very quiet or deserted, even when Bamburgh is packed. No. 1 and especially the muted colours of no. 9 are my favourites.

Your photographs are as good as, and in the case of no. 9 surpasses, those by Joe Cornish in his book about the Northumberland Coast. Thank you for taking the time to post them for us.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 22/01/2020 - 18:04
Nigel

Thanks very much for this... have been away for a few days... thanks very much for the positivity...

I do think there's a lot to be said for returning to a place you have a strong emotional connection with on a regular basis over time... definitely deepens the relationship, and often, the work...

Joe Cornish has always been a bit of a hero of mine... read his books cover to cover when I was starting out, went to a number of his exhibitions, paid money to see him talk etc... tried (and failed!) to get an exhibition of my own into his gallery in Northallerton... definitely the first time anyone's put me in the same sentence as him, and quite possibly the last, so thank you, I'll have it!

Wishing you a great trip as and when you have a chance to get back...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Last Edited by thingsthatihaveseen on 22/01/2020 - 18:05

AndrewA

Link Posted 23/01/2020 - 10:05
LennyBloke wrote:
That's not a set of photos....

...that's the official Northumberland Coast Calendar

Beautiful, natural, breath-taking - a great advert for Pentax and Northumberland

Absolutely, love these.
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 23/01/2020 - 15:10
Thanks Andrew...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

K10D

Link Posted 23/01/2020 - 15:16
Undeniably calendar material Bill. Wonderful images of exceptional scenery.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

jvs

Link Posted 23/01/2020 - 19:40
One of my favourite stretches of UK coast. I'd be pretty pleased to have a couple of photos of this calibre, never mind a full set like these!
John

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 24/01/2020 - 13:54
Thanks Gary and John...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Graham_A_E

Link Posted 24/01/2020 - 20:31
A beautiful set of a wonderful landscape.

Graham E

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 25/01/2020 - 10:11
Thanks Graham...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.