NO X70's Will Be Sold.. (per Pentax E-mail)

ShiKuChishiki

Link Posted 12/06/2009 - 07:21
Was looking at purchasing a X70. On the Pentax web site I found 8 Wal-Mart and 2 Sam's Club stores listed as retailers of Pentax in my local area.. as well as a Wolf/Ritz Camera store that was listed in the phone book.

After spending a couple of hours calling all of them I was told NO X70 could be bought there. I e-mailed PentaxUSA with the following:

"No one in my area carries the X70. Why? I've spent the last two (2) plus hours calling all the stores (as listed on your web site) in my local area to no avail...

...and you wonder why people are buying Cannon, Fujifilm, Kodak, Nikon, Olympus, etc., etc."

The reply I received back from "Michael C. Pentax Imaging Technical Support" was as follows:

"I'm sorry, the "Where To Buy" option on our website is the only option we have to find local retailers."

Am I missing something here? Didn't I already say that I had contacted retailers in my local area and NO X70's were to be found? My question via the e-mail was:

"No one in my area carries the X70. Why?" It would have been nice if they had answered my original question!

I can't believe that Pentax (or any manufacturer/distributor) doesn't keep records as to where they ship their product. You mean to tell me their shipping department boxes up the cameras and labels the shipment to go to "Anywhere, USA"? I'm not that dumb to believe that. How are they going to get paid for the cameras if they don't know who they sent them to?

Pentax's e-mail ended up saying to me: "besides looking through you're local phone book, you could try entering a different zip code and try the retailers located there."

It's bad enough I've wasted a couple of hours already.. and now Pentax wants me to do their job for them too? Isn't that asking a little too much? I'm the customer.. not one of their employees!

ShiKu Chishiki

--
No.. it's not your camera,
it's the person taking the photo!
It's not the camera..
It's the person taking the photo!

Hyram

Link Posted 12/06/2009 - 08:32
Crazy situation.

Time for a visit to the UK
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

polchraine

Link Posted 12/06/2009 - 09:20
I posted a link to the same part of the Pentax Imaging (USA) website for another member and when selecting DSLR as the option it gave a list of Walmart stores and people have commented that they do not stock them!

People criticise Pentax UK - but having tried to speak with the US operation a few years back, they were even worse.

One olution - maybe not the cheapest will be to buy from the website.
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...

Gwyn

Link Posted 12/06/2009 - 09:20
If you are prepared to buy it over the internet then try B&H photo in New York. They tend to be the cheapest anyway. If you don't like it you can always return it. Just don't try an order on a Friday evening/Saturday - they are Jewish and observe the Sabbath, and other Jewish holidays.
Ritz also have a good online service.

polchraine

Link Posted 12/06/2009 - 09:30
Gwyn wrote:
If you are prepared to buy it over the internet then try B&H photo in New York. They tend to be the cheapest anyway. If you don't like it you can always return it. Just don't try an order on a Friday evening/Saturday - they are Jewish and observe the Sabbath, and other Jewish holidays.
Ritz also have a good online service.

B&H are also open on a Sunday ...

Also, if you are not a NY resident and have it shipped there is no purchase tax to pay. The OP will already know this but if anyone else is ever in the US, get large items shipped from out of state and save. On my last fishing rod - $80 by trying in a store and using their phone to order from their branch in the next state - it was address to me care of the local store and arrived with their normal stock delivery.
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...

Gwyn

Link Posted 12/06/2009 - 09:55
polchraine wrote:

B&H are also open on a Sunday ...

Yes I meant to add that. Thanks!
Last Edited by Gwyn on 12/06/2009 - 09:55

ShiKuChishiki

Link Posted 12/06/2009 - 19:21
Thanks for all your posts/answers.

It's just so aggravating not being able to see or hold a X70 in hands. In the back of my mind (if I had one, per asking my wife.. ) I had planned on ordering on line anyways.. but at least wanted to see/hold one in person.

I'm a old "Asahi Pentax Spotmatic 35mm SLR" person myself. Bought it new when stationed overseas in 1964. Back at that time there were two models. Asahi: which was the non-USA model.. and the "Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic 35mm SLR" which was the USA model. Same camera.. different names.

Once again.. thanks for your answers from my UK/European Pentax friends.

ShiKu Chishiki
It's not the camera..
It's the person taking the photo!
Last Edited by ShiKuChishiki on 12/06/2009 - 20:16
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.