No More Samsung GX

JohnMcD

Link Posted 08/09/2009 - 10:34

Joe S

Link Posted 08/09/2009 - 10:50
Could be good or bad. I always thought the competing GX - K models on the shelves was counter productive but I hope Pentax and Samsung will continue to work together.

It's a blow for those who hope for FF? I am not decided about FF but I fear market logic makes it inevitable. K-7 could indicate that Pentax has hit the ceiling with the APS-C format, as it doesn't seem to be much of an improvement compared to K20d in terms of IQ.
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350

George Lazarette

Link Posted 08/09/2009 - 10:57
I still think so-called full-frame is not the best way forward, but I can also see that the market might eventually force Pentax into going that way.

How many people actually buy such cameras? It's a fraction of the total market, and wholly irrelevant to the vast majority.

To avoid this disastrous outcome, Pentax needs to keep clear water between the price of its bodies and lenses and the price of "full-frame" bodies and lenses.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Tooks

Link Posted 08/09/2009 - 11:25
George Lazarette wrote:
I still think so-called full-frame is not the best way forward, but I can also see that the market might eventually force Pentax into going that way.

How many people actually buy such cameras? It's a fraction of the total market, and wholly irrelevant to the vast majority.

To avoid this disastrous outcome, Pentax needs to keep clear water between the price of its bodies and lenses and the price of "full-frame" bodies and lenses.

G

I think the 'street price' of the K-7 has now positioned itself where it should probably be, ie a good 700-800 less than an equivalent Full Frame model.

If lens prices head south too, it could be happier days.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 08/09/2009 - 11:31
As others have pointed out, lens prices are lower in some other markets.

When the *ist D appeared, it was priced at 1,400. I imported my first one from Canada for 900. Same with my Z1-P.

Recently we have been used to Pentax prices in the UK being competitive, but sadly it seems we are back in rip-off territory again.

This is a great shame because it encourages people to buy from abroad, which hurts good SelleRS in the home market.

Mentioning no names, of course.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Tooks

Link Posted 08/09/2009 - 11:33
True, Britain didn't get the moniker 'Treasure Island' by a lot of exporters for nothing!

I've imported quite a bit of stuff, but on balance (and after a couple of bits went wrong which necessitated all manner of trouble trying to get them fixed) I would rather stump up the extra for the reassurance of a UK shop to help me out.
Last Edited by Tooks on 08/09/2009 - 11:33

Joe S

Link Posted 08/09/2009 - 11:43
George Lazarette wrote:

Recently we have been used to Pentax prices in the UK being competitive, but sadly it seems we are back in rip-off territory again.

G

I will say they were not only competitive! When I counted in good exchange rate dkr vs. it was pretty much half price! Now UK prices are slightly higher than Danish prices I think. (Edit: for what you can get, that is. This means K-7 and kit lenses - take it or leave it!)
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Last Edited by Joe S on 08/09/2009 - 11:47
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.